Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The kenko alternative option

With the scare resource of Tamron 1.4 super TC (hard to find) this has lead me to but the Kenko 1.5x DG AF TeleConverter.

Is it as good as the Tamron Legend(I think not)

Do you still have AF infinity,or more to the point is there anything lost

Any one has examples of this TC in action

cheers

08-03-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know about the Kenko, but I bought the digital concepts 2x teleconverter . $65 on ebay. Received it today. I only tried it very briefly to make sure it worked. With my Tamron 28-300 (f3.5 - 6.3) I can still use autofocus even at the highest zoom apparently.

I have only taken a couple of test shots indoor that didn't turn out very good . There was noticeable blur on the pics taken at 600mm (300x2) vs 300mm with the lens alone, even at 1/180 with the built-in flash. This could well be due to autofocus just getting it wrong with the TC. No doubt I will experiment some more and with other lenses and manual focus.

I wanted the TC mostly for sky shots, in particular to get the moon to fill the frame - 300mm was still too small for my taste. If it can get me more detail on the surface of the moon, then I will be happy with the amount I spent.

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
With the scare resource of Tamron 1.4 super TC (hard to find) this has lead me to but the Kenko 1.5x DG AF TeleConverter.

cheers
08-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote

The Tamron and the Kenko are reportedly built by - Kenko. I cannot verify that, but you find loads of reports on that, searching the web. I myself bought a Kenko 1.5x TC a couple of years ago, as I could not find a Tamron anywhere in Germany. It is a very good TC for the price. Not as good as the original Pentax 1.4x-L and -S, but nevertheless very useable with a good lens. As I would never use a TC with a zoom lens, I only have used it several times with fixed focal length lenses and ther it certainly is a good choice.

Ofcourse infinity focus is a non-issue, as to be expected from a PAF compatible tc. AF capability is dependend on the lens' max. aperture, the light conditions (dull or bright) and the camera body. But mounted to a f4 lens, it should work fine under most any conditions.

Ben