Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 08:37 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
You can't use both Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto at the same time, however.

If it's Arca-Swiss, it will work. If it's not, why would you buy it? A-S is such a widely adopted standard, surely there's a head with the required specs that is A-S compatible.

Indeed, Peak Design are pretty open about this. They try to make their gear fit, it's not their fault if Manfrotto have multiple "standards" and none of them are actually standard...

"You can't use both Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto at the same time, however."

Well, of course! I have two tripods, one has Arca-Swiss head, the other Manfrotto head; I would not be using both at the same time.

If you would read my last post before this one, I've purchased a NEST Gimbal head, that I'm picking up today!

Last edited by csa; 01-18-2017 at 09:03 AM.
01-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Well, of course! I have two tripods, one has Arca-Swiss head, the other Manfrotto head; I would not be using both at the same time.
I believe bdery means that to use the Manfrotto QR you would have to bolt on the supplied adapter bits with allen keys therefore you can't move directly from Arca-Swiss to Manfrotto straight away without removing/attaching those bits.
01-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I believe bdery means that to use the Manfrotto QR you would have to bolt on the supplied adapter bits with allen keys therefore you can't move directly from Arca-Swiss to Manfrotto straight away without removing/attaching those bits.
Correct. It's a good plate but it's not magic
01-18-2017, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well darn, I want a magic plate!

01-18-2017, 09:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Well darn, I want a magic plate!
Don't we all!

Your best bet is probably find a (cheapish?) arca head to replace the manfrotto head.
Or maybe use an L bracket... with a RC2 plate on the side and the AS plate on the bottom?

Actually it looks like you can get just a plate to replace the Manfrotto plate like this web post explains:
https://www.ocabj.net/manfrotto-rc2-to-arca-swiss-conversion/
01-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, I don't use the Manfrotto tripod, as it's a very heavy beast. I'll be using my Sirui tripod with my new NEST gimbal head that I just got today, for photography.
01-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Actually, I don't use the Manfrotto tripod, as it's a very heavy beast. I'll be using my Sirui tripod with my new NEST gimbal head that I just got today, for photography.
Don't worry about it then!

Guess the compatibility is nice to have if ever needed

Have fun with photos!

01-19-2017, 05:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For people stuck with a non-standard head, there are also cheap conversion kits sold on eBay and other places. Just screw your tripod plate into a sort of claw which accepts Arca-Swiss. Then attach the non-standard plate to the tripod and leave it there.