Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peak Designs Capture clips?

What is the main difference between the Capture Clip V2 or the Pro? I will be using it on a separate belt. The heaviest lens I have is 42oz on my K3.

Would I be safe with the V2?

01-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What is the main difference between the Capture Clip V2 or the Pro? I will be using it on a separate belt. The heaviest lens I have is 42oz on my K3.

Would I be safe with the V2?
I have a Capture Pro - not familiar with the V2 but I thinks it's smaller and with that much weight I would go with the bigger version. I use mine with a Capture Pro Pad and a Tamrac belt with a K-3 and up to 300mm lens + TC. Not exactly rigid even with the Pro Pad and I usually support the top of my camera with my hand when I'm walking around. Despite that, for wildlife especially getting ready to shoot is a lot quicker than fumbling in a backpack.
The clip does tend to jam after a while. To prevent that I recommend getting a can of dry Teflon spray and applying it to both parts of the clip every few weeks.
01-06-2017, 12:34 PM   #3

Only difference of the Pro is that it has a tripod mount on the back of it to mount the clip itself on a tripod or monopod in place of something like a ballhead. Their website also says the Pro is all metal construction.
https://youtu.be/089QnOjBatg?t=2m23s

It also comes with their Proplate quick release plate that is adaptable for ARCA and Manfrotto RC2 tripod heads.

https://www.peakdesign.com/compare?t=clips

Last edited by cgchang; 01-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
01-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Chris, thank you! I think for $20 more, it's better to get the Pro Clip.

01-06-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I"ve used the V2 for a couple of years with my k3 and sigma 100-300 f4. It works fine. Its rated at 200lbs I think. As mentioned it comes down to being ARCA and Manfrotto compatible and the 1/4 20 screw mount for a tripod. The latter being the only thing I occassionally wish I had. The weight rating is a non issue.
01-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do have both ARCA & Manfrotto; so the Pro will come in handy. I believe the V2 is rated for 100#, and the Pro, 200# of force. For the extra $20, it's worth it to me to get the Pro; even though I'm sure the V2 would be most satisfactory.
01-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm buying a panhead, and want to be sure the Peak Pro clip plate will work with my new one; any help or suggestions for a panhead that will work, if one of these does not?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/337490...y-panhead.html

01-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My tripod and panhead were made by Manfrotto but branded Swarovski to go with my spotting scope. It came with a plate that I can use with my camera, but the Peak Design plate does not fit on the panhead. I'm not sure what the detailed part numbers are (my plate just has a "7" on it) but it's clear there are some Manfrotto plates that don't fit, so take care.
01-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! Yes, that's why I'm hoping someone can tell me for sure if one of those panheads would work with the Peak before I buy.
01-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm buying a panhead, and want to be sure the Peak Pro clip plate will work with my new one; any help or suggestions for a panhead that will work, if one of these does not?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/337490...y-panhead.html
Wait, are you asking if the Peak Design quick release plates will be compatible with a new panhead? If so, I can recommend the Acratech gp-ss. It works as a ballhead, and can be 'flipped' to work just as well as a panhead. It also has an adjustment knob to account for differences in quick release plate size.
01-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
"Wait, are you asking if the Peak Design quick release plates will be compatible with a new panhead?"

Yes, that's what I'm asking. However, that one is way out of my price range. I really want to stay between $100-$200, or as close to that as possible.
01-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Wait, are you asking if the Peak Design quick release plates will be compatible with a new panhead?"

Yes, that's what I'm asking. However, that one is way out of my price range. I really want to stay between $100-$200, or as close to that as possible.
Fair enough. I tried upgrading with a cheaper ballhead first, and it ended up being a waste of money over the one that came with my MeFoto tripod. Good luck with your search.
01-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Fair enough. I tried upgrading with a cheaper ballhead first, and it ended up being a waste of money over the one that came with my MeFoto tripod. Good luck with your search.
I buy the quality as much as I can afford. To some perhaps my choices are considered "cheap"; however, if they work for me, that's what is important! I do have an excellent Sirui ballhead, but wanted a different mount.

I've decided to get a NEST Carbon Fiber Gimbal. I think this will work out well for me, as it also uses arca plates; so should be compatible with the Peak.
01-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
It also comes with their Proplate quick release plate that is adaptable for ARCA and Manfrotto RC2 tripod heads.
Not all RC2 heads, mind you! When I got mine I was disappointed to find out it did not work with my RC2 three-way head, despite many reviews just stating RC2 compatibility as a matter of fact. Peak Design have an article about his on their website, and a list of compatible heads.
01-18-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
do have both ARCA & Manfrotto; so the Pro will come in handy.
You can't use both Arca-Swiss and Manfrotto at the same time, however.

If it's Arca-Swiss, it will work. If it's not, why would you buy it? A-S is such a widely adopted standard, surely there's a head with the required specs that is A-S compatible.

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
it's clear there are some Manfrotto plates that don't fit, so take care.
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Not all RC2 heads, mind you! When I got mine I was disappointed to find out it did not work with my RC2 three-way head, despite many reviews just stating RC2 compatibility as a matter of fact. Peak Design have an article about his on their website, and a list of compatible heads.
Indeed, Peak Design are pretty open about this. They try to make their gear fit, it's not their fault if Manfrotto have multiple "standards" and none of them are actually standard...