Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'll be posting photos of it!
And with the camera(s)/lens(es) you'll use it with !!

01-13-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mainly will be used with the Tamron 80-200 F2.8, and the Tamron 500 mirror. Also probably with my Sigma 105 macro.

But I will post pics with them on the NEST!
01-15-2017, 06:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations Carol, I looked one of these awhile back in a similar post on gimbals. In the end I purchased a Wimberley Side Kick in the Marketplace. I already had a heavy-duty Induro ball head so it seemed a good fit. Since I hike some much the portability was a big plus. I am really looking forward to hearing your opinion on the gimbal.
01-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Michael, thanks; I'll be sure to post a report on it! I will be going to town Tuesday, to pick it up!

That Side Kick should work out extremely well for you, as well!

01-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The NEST Gimbal arrived. Very nice looking item, finish is flawless. It comes with a very nice bag, a long plate, and even a hex key.

Looking forward to using it soon!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-22-2017, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #21
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's the NEST on my Sirui tripod. Also with my K3, Tamron 500 mirror. I'm thinking I'm going to like this setup a lot!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks like a nice setup Carol. I will interested to hear your opinions after you get to use it more. I know the cheaper knock offs mainly get complaints for not having a nice fluid motion and for the overall build quality. This is my current setup with the Wimberley Sidekick and my Induro ball head with the Sigma 50-500 on the K3 with the battery grip. That whole setup is about 8lbs I believe. I definitely could use a better set of tripod legs. Maybe this year I will have to see how much I get out this year. The Sidekick is nice for me since I can just take it off the ball head and put in your camera bag or back pack.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
01-25-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I know the cheaper knock offs mainly get complaints for not having a nice fluid motion and for the overall build quality.
At $300, I really don't consider this a cheap knock off; rather a very well built unit, finish is flawless. The movements are extremely smooth, one finger can move camera & lens. Interesting, for cold climate use, where I bought this (Montana), they have an Arctic edition:

"Due to the thickening of the damping lube used in these heads I often get requests for a lighter lube to be used. This offer is for the exact same gimbal head I sell, but with the low temp lube replacement already done. Keep in mind that when used in hot climates this head will likely exhibit no dampening action at all, but will work smoother in very cold climates."

I opted for the regular, as I don't get out in very cold conditions much.
01-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
At $300, I really don't consider this a cheap knock off; rather a very well built unit, finish is flawless. The movements are extremely smooth, one finger can move camera & lens. Interesting, for cold climate use, where I bought this (Montana), they have an Arctic edition:

"Due to the thickening of the damping lube used in these heads I often get requests for a lighter lube to be used. This offer is for the exact same gimbal head I sell, but with the low temp lube replacement already done. Keep in mind that when used in hot climates this head will likely exhibit no dampening action at all, but will work smoother in very cold climates."

I opted for the regular, as I don't get out in very cold conditions much.
Would have done the same but a great alternative for people who mostly shoot winter scenes
01-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fumanchu1 Quote
Would have done the same but a great alternative for people who mostly shoot winter scenes
It's a great option, indeed!
01-25-2017, 06:34 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Carol when I mentioned cheaper knock offs I was referring to the $100 ones you find on Ebay. I remember this particular gimbal from an earlier post. I actually contacted the store owner, who was very polite and informative, about one. Now that I have actually seen one I am more interested. I look forward to hearing more about this gimbal in the future. For now my sidekick will have to do.
01-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, thanks Michael! Yes, I've seen those $100 gimbals and have read what owners have had to do, to make them halfway usable; from completely dissembling them & cleaning them, to adding teflon rings, etc.

I haven't had too much of a chance in using this one, but so far, I'm extremely impressed with the sturdiness, and the smoothness of the movements. I think it will really shine with BIF's!

The store owner (Camera Cottage), is a hands on dealer, in that he really knows & uses the products he sells.
01-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Gimbals are really nice for long lenses. Is it configurable where you can remove the swing arm and put the clamp on the horizontal axel, like the Sidekick? That gets rid of one source of vibration.
01-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The swing arm is removable, one would have to have an "L" bracket also; and I don't know it the "L" bracket would attach without the swing arm. I'm more than happy with it, just as it is. So far I've found this unit very stable, have not noted any vibrations. Of course the longest lens I have is the 500 mirror. It's also very stable with my 80-200 F2.8. If one would want to eliminate the swing arm, I would think it would be best to go ahead & get the Sidekick, as removing the swing arm contradicts what a gimbal is.

Last edited by csa; 01-30-2017 at 09:20 AM.