Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Incorrect Parameter

"Cannot Copy <File name>: The Parameter is Incorrect"

I keep getting this Error when trying to upload my pictures off of my K10D to my computer.

Memory is Kingston SDHC 4gb class 4

I never had this problem prior to this memory.

I have to turn my K10D off, then back on, then start the moving process again and hope it doesn't happen. Although it usually happens at least 3 times.

Any help?

Thanks.

08-04-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you have SD card reader that you could try instead of the cable?

Does it stop at the same file all the time? If yes, skip the file and continue loading images. Maybe one file got corrupted somehow or the card is going.
08-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Try a different card. If the problem goes away, then the Kingston is junk, if it doesn't, then the camera needs to be repaired.
I have had problems with slow cards being less than compatable with my K10 and K20, so it wouldn't surprise me if the camera isn't playing nice with the card.
Perhaps consider trying a faster card such as a Sandisk Extreme.
08-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't have a reader to test it with and I never had a problem with my old 1g card.

Once it stops on a file I HAVE to turn off the camera, then back on. Once it starts all the files will give me the error, but once they're off the card the pictures are fine on the computer.

I guess I'll be looking into a new SCHC card now....

Thanks for the help.

08-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I guess I'm not the only person having this problem. I'm using a Sandisk SDHC 4GB and I've had it happen when copying from the camera and when using USB memory card stick. Usually, I can just tell the computer to re cut and paste to my hard drive and it works on the supposed bad file. I don't get it. A month or so ago, I did have 2 pics that simply would not copy, no matter how many times I tried, so I had to toss em.
I'm surprised more people haven't had this problem, as I figured it was some known glitch. Oh well...if anyone has any ideas for fixing it, I'd love to know.
08-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I just tried to copy about 200 images from my card, and had about 10 that just wouldn't copy (after i got some off by removing and reinserting the card reader). I was going to try copying directly from the card, but then I found this at another forum--the "parameter is incorrect" topic is on hundreds of forums regarding many different memory sources, so it must be a common thing (probably just on PC's...). Anyway, this worked like a charm for me:
QuoteQuote:
I solved this problem after a good while tweaking around. If you still have the picture files stuck in the card, open up Windows Explorer. Highlight them and go to Properties (right click mouse button), and see if the "Archive" box is checked or unchecked. Mine were checked. When I unchecked them, I was able to transfer to my PC without any errors. I think it Archive mode was a safety mechanism to prevent corrupting the files when interruptions such as shutting off the camera while it was still working.