Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nbs2005 Quote
how do you carry your camera with you every day.
I make sure it's a Q!

01-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For photo gear alone, I also have an Event Messenger 150 bag. It fits quite a few things, even a 60-250 if it's not attached to the camera (k3ii).

If I'm bringing my camera "just in case," I take 2-3 small lenses (da limited) in a small camera bag (one lens attached + one more). I recently got a Think Tank Perception 15 as a general use bag, with the added benefit of being able to carry my camera. It's a fairly expensive but well built backpack with two camera pouches at the top, the rest is general storage for whatever, and it also has a laptop compartment. It's marketed as a mirrorless bag, but if you have small lenses it's fine for (d)slr.

Last edited by aaacb; 01-20-2017 at 02:33 PM.
01-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I've tried a wide assortment of bags to have the camera with me all the time. I have determined that no one bag will cover all situations. I now have 4 different bags that I use:
How true, This morning I went for a hike in the woods, it rained earlier but I took a couple of non WR lenses along anyway, I carried my K-50 with a DA*300 hanging on a sling strap, with two other lenses in individual cases attached to my belt. In my hands I was carrying a tripod with K-30 and Tak 55 attached. I only bring that up because it is an example of one type of situation, I've got a sling bag, and messenger bag, a backpack, and a couple of shoulder bags. It all depends on the gear I want to take, where I am going, weather, etc. In your case where you want to take the same gear everyday is may be a little simpler, but you still have variables like weather, activity, location, etc. I really endorse the lens cases that you can put on a belt. Big pockets are nice too!
01-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Have a look at this Passport Sling III Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

The lowepro passport sling. I use one all the time. Its for when I'm not using my full bag.

I've only had to replace the strings on the zippers after about a year.

I only wish I had gotten it in black haha.

01-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

My daily camera carry is a Crumpler Four Million Dollar Home. Holds a body+lens and another lens (or two Limited primes). I call it my purse. It can carry a K-1 but that is tight. Normally it's a K-S2 (RIP) or K-3 in there.

If I need to have a backpack for another reason (laptop, survival gear, etc.) then I wrap the camera and lenses in neoprene wraps (Clik branded, mostly) and put those in my pack.

A sling strap like a Black Rapid is a nice way to keep the camera handy but secure while shooting if you go the backpack route.
01-20-2017, 02:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

My carry anywhere setup is usually the K-S1 with just the DA 35 2.4 attached. Great IQ, relatively light so I don't even feel it if I carry it all day. Every once in a while it's the DA 16-45 instead, and a couple times it was the Sigma 30 1.4 Art - but that lens is quite a bit heavier than the DA 35... so I'm not sure how that's going to work. Anyway - for decades people ran around with nothing but a 35mm camera and a 50mm lens, and they did alright. It's impressive how you can make it work, when one lens is all you have...
01-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Consider the Lowepro Format series as an inexpensive DSLR shoulder bag. If you want extra space and padding the Slingshot 100 is good but more like a backpack.

Ricoh GR is my carry everywhere camera. I usually commute by train and keep the GR in a small $10 generic belt case. No bag needed.

If I expect to do more deliberate photography on a workday, the Lowepro 160 is a small shoulder bag. I have the strap on one side of my neck with the bag just above the opposite hip. It fits the K-1 with a zoom (even the massive 15-30), or with the DFA 100 and FA 43. There are small pockets for keys, spare batteries, even a compact umbrella.

01-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

there is an incredible variety of smallish bags out there

I carry a full kit in a crumpler 6 million dollar bag (my first messenger-type bag) and quite like it
I imagine their smaller bags would do what you want

I just picked up a lowepro passport sling bag on clearance
I suspect if you like a sling bag this might be a good choice
it holds a camera/lens plus a second lens and room for your everyday detritus
surprisingly, with the insert removed it holds my k3 with a 70-200(f2.8) attached

I have quite an assortment of smallish bags for single camera/lens combinations
they were priced from a couple of bucks to way too much but even the inexpensive bags work well

good luck
01-20-2017, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

I agree with you about the way a small DSLR kit can be used as a go everywhere all the time.
As others have said a range of bags are needed depending on situation.
Over time switch to limited primes and find a bag/purse that suits your style and you can have the camera with you all the time.
Personal solution for me is this one. Fits a small pouch with range of limiteds as well as camera with 16-45 or similar attached. Plus all the other detritus of daily life including a tablet if needed. Tons of choice in bags out there.
I have a K3 (prestige) and have put a home made case together for my three limiteds. As described earlier, wait and shop carefully in the second hand market.
01-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #25
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Case Logic bag that is similar to this:
Kontrast DSLR Zoom Holster - Case Logic

Generally, I can have one lens on the camera, and another in the empty space remaining below the lens. with a bag like this I also stick a 40mm XS in a little pocket, in lieu of carrying a 50mm in addition to a wide or telephoto.

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The 40mm XS is super compact, affordable, great contrasts and colours, and snappy AF.
+1 to all that, it's my favorite all around prime lens.

Last edited by robgski; 01-21-2017 at 02:55 AM.
01-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nbs2005 Quote
Hi all,

As stated, how do you carry your camera with you every day. K50 with Sigma 24mm prime. Would also like to have the SMC F 50mm with me. Right now, camera slung over shoulder, lens in pock. This works pretty well this time of year in Ontario, though a little more camera protection would be great. For summer, it's not going to work for carrying the extra lens.

I'm thinking some kind of small sling like bag that can be thrown over the shoulder like a bike messenger bag. Who's tried what? I could also switch to smaller lenses (limited) but that's pretty spendy. I'm convinced I need my camera with me at all times. Yes, something smaller than a DSLR would be easier but I work better with this.

Thanks,

Jeff

Frankly I can carry a K-3 with a DA15 in my outerwear pocket. I found it to be the most convenient solution out of all, if the weather permits outerwear. If instead of Sigma 24mm you had a DA21, then it would fit even easier.
01-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I use an Op/Tech camera strap. I turn the camera upside-down and put the strap over my head and shoulder. The camera hangs better that way (with the pentaprism toward my body, tripod socket facing outward). I do this with my K-3 and DA*50-135. The K-50 with the Sigma 24mm would be a lighter load and even easier to carry that way.
01-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoulder bags are great for protecting gear and for quick access. I find them uncomfortable and unwieldy and have tried many. My solution is a Lowepro Inverse 100 AW Beltpack. It is comfortably worn at the small of the back/waist and quickly shifted (via compression strap release) to the front for easy access. It comes with an additional strap and can hence double as a shoulder bag. It will carry my K-3, 18-135, 55-300 and 1-2 small primes (stacked). This fills the bag pretty full. If carrying camera and lens outside the bag then more room is created inside. I sometimes combine this with a medium backpack if more gear is needed. Backpacks attach securely like Beltpack but are slower to access. I don't care for the loose feel of a sling pack. I can't stand a standard neck strap but have found the BlackRapid shoulder strap be comfortable and quick. It has caused some paint loss to the rear of my K-3 though. I sometimes use the larger Lowepro Inverse 200 AW Beltpack for larger lenses but prefer the 100. I recently purchased a Cotton Carrier chest harness (mostly to try with 60-250) but have not tried it yet.
01-21-2017, 12:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I don't usually carry my large camera gear with me everywhere I go. Usually I only take it when I have an idea in mind. I have a Panasonic LX100 for more "everyday" type photography. Its small enough to take everywhere but serious enough that I can take good enough pictures with it.

When I am taking my bigger stuff, I take it in a back pack. I have one I got for christmas that has dividers for lenses, bodies, flashes, etc.
01-21-2017, 03:18 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It looks so 1980 it's funny
Hey, whaddaya mean, lots of good things are from 1980...lol. Basically I agree that protection of equipment is a lot more important in most places than it was a generation and more back. Good advice is to limit what you carry and try to keep it close and compact in something like the "fanny pack" mentioned in urban areas or where ever there may be crowds. However, among younger people, and lately it seems a lot of others, backpacks are so common that as long as it doesn't obviously say Photo-something on it one of these might attract little attention, be comfortable, and hold a lot of gear easily. On a trail or a shoot at a leisurely place in a rural or natural setting comfort seems more important and the well made photo back pack type is best there.