Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Underwater camera/ housing suggestions.

I have been shooting underwater with a Nikon1AW. After a month of use, most of the electronics are fried. It still shoots and focuses but I can't change any settings. It will hopefully see me out for the rest of the summer but I'm planning spending on something more capable over winter. A camera repair guy (who obviously isn't in it for the money) said to do that.

I don't SCUBA dive so I'm just interested in something capable mostly for bigger things - small sharks and rays, seals and dolphins - but potentially also some underwater macro.

Suggestions?

01-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

So far the best reviewed camera seems to be the Olympus TG-4, but people still complain about its ruggedness. I'm in the market for underwater camera too, would love to hear what others' thoughts and recommendations are.

Last edited by LightBug; 01-22-2017 at 11:09 PM.
01-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks LightBug, will check it out.

At the moment I'm thinking along the lines of a Sony A7 in a housing so I would also have another option for landscape and maybe portrait (although I see myself shelling out for a K1 before doing anything about upgrading my underwater capabilities). I'm more than willing to be convinced there is a cheaper option that would be just as good.

As I seem to be hard on all my gear, a rugged option is preferable. I don't think cameras like that Nikon 1AW are actually quite rugged enough.
01-22-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your post. I had assumed that the Nikon 1AW was the best thing around without going for a housing. I would think my pentax and panasonic underwater camera would be very disappointing along with my canon G10 with underwater housing compared with your Nikon. I suspect the best options is another Nikon 1AW or a camera in a housing. There is an Olympus OM housing that isn't super massive that on paper might be the go. At one time there was a housing for the K5 (or was that the K7)

I'll be interested to see what your choice will be as I would like a much better underwater camera. .

01-23-2017, 01:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't go near those Nikons.....prone to leaking and overheating....theres info all over the web about that.
01-23-2017, 03:34 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About the TG-4.
Recently went to ocean coastline of everglades w/ someone that had olympus TG-4. I didn't think it was usable--in terms framing subject--did not seem to have an auto power saving option--although it has camera raw, in usage it seemed like a fancy toy.
I use/used an old Nikonos III, so I have no suggestions.
01-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Don't go near those Nikons.....prone to leaking and overheating....theres info all over the web about that.
I wish I had known that a year ago!

I got a few nice shots out of it but around $1000 AUD for about six trips underwater wasn't great.

---------- Post added 01-23-17 at 05:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Thanks for your post. I had assumed that the Nikon 1AW was the best thing around without going for a housing. I would think my pentax and panasonic underwater camera would be very disappointing along with my canon G10 with underwater housing compared with your Nikon. I suspect the best options is another Nikon 1AW or a camera in a housing. There is an Olympus OM housing that isn't super massive that on paper might be the go. At one time there was a housing for the K5 (or was that the K7)

I'll be interested to see what your choice will be as I would like a much better underwater camera. .
I'm hearing good things about the Olympus OM and housing so will look into that.

The owner of my local dive shop uses an A7 and housing. That seems like a very good option for compactness and IQ

My photography teacher shoots fashion for magazines with an A7R when not using a Hasselblad or Canon 5diii and he swears by it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON 1 AW1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON 1 AW1  Photo 
01-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

There's a helpful video on an EM5 housing here:
Nauticam Olympus OM-D E-M5 underwater housing for Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera NA-EM5 17804 | Bluewater Photo & Video
When a good housing can cost two or three times the camera you're protecting you realise the engineering tolerances that go into making it genuinely waterproof.
It makes it hard to believe a consumer range camera can really be built with the tolerances to make it waterproof.
In Australia at least, if a claim is made that a camera is waterproof down to 15m, then it has to be waterproof down to 15m. Otherwise you can get your money back. But I suspect some manufacturers are counting on it not being worth a person's time (and money) to aggressively pursue their rights.
01-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Temptation, temptation temptation - But wife has spent all my money

Olympus OM-D E-M1 underwater housing bundle with camera, lens, housing, port and zoom gear | Bluewater Photo & Video
01-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
But wife has spent all my money
They are good at that!
04-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #11
Forum Member

Hi, I used to use an Ikelite Aquashot housing with Kodak and Fugi oneshot cameras when they became hard to find I switched a Sony Cybershot DSC-T77 with a housing. Haven't had a chance to use it yet underwater. I have used the camera just as a point and shot though. It does take pretty good pictures. I picked everything up off Evel-bay. Just a thought. Jim