Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2017, 04:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian
schnitzer79's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,219
Sling strap attached to Battery grip instead of tripod mount on camera

Just purchased a Peak Design Slide and waiting for it to arrive. Will be using it with my K-3II and was just wondering if there are any issues with it attached on the battery grip tripod mount instead to that of the camera. I keep the grip on at all times since I find it balances nicely my heavier lenses and especially the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art which I have been using loads lately. Just concerned about the grip since it will have to bear the camera + lens weight when hanging to the side. Any chance of the grip becoming detached with such weight or any potential damage to the threads?

Thanks

01-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,562
Been doing that for several years. No problem. (Black Rapid before I got the PeakDesign Slide)
I use the Peak Design strap with one end attached to the body, the other to their tripod mount on the grip.
I find the balance a bit nicer than the brands where the strap attaches only to the tripod mount.
I've done events where I'm literally running with the DA* 16-50 on one camera and a DA*50-135 on the other, both slung over my shoulders.
I don't give it a second thought about damage most of the time (although running with them makes me think a little bit).

These types of straps have been around for some time, and I haven't heard of any verifiable cases of damage in years.
I don't know about all other brands, but Pentax has a metal body and the grip has a large metal plate to which the tripod mount is attached. So it is more than capable of handling this setup. :-)

I do have some concerns with the K1 and the 70-200mm. But am more concerned with the weight on the lens mount than the neck strap connections. :-)

---------- Post added 01-25-17 at 06:51 AM ----------

One weak point is the triangle ring that attaches to the body. These can stretch and unravel if pulled significantly.
My camera strap got caught on a chair while walking between tables. The ring opened up and the camera hit the floor. Both the camera and lens broke and needed significant repair. It was amazing how little force was needed. I barely felt the snag.

With the Peak Design kit, I thread the connector through the lug that is attached directly in the body. It takes some work, and a small tool to push it through, but I trust that a lot more.
Or in some newer bodies, the triangle ring comes with plastic reinforcement piece that seems to help a lot. Even the soft leather wrap on older bodies will help keep the triangle ring in the proper orientation to keep the stress along the strongest parts.

Last edited by amoringello; 01-25-2017 at 04:51 AM.
01-25-2017, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Bengan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stockholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,534
This is how I use it too. With the Sigma 35, no problem. If you're using the original grip, I'd say that the quality of the treads is up to body standards.


I'm a bit concerned about what would happen if one of the fasterners came lose for some reason, so I made a simple mod to my Slide https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/316538...slide-add.html
01-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,562
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I'm a bit concerned about what would happen if one of the fasterners came lose for some reason, so I made a simple mod to my Slide https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/316538...slide-add.html
That is brilliant. I did something similar with the Rapid Strap long ago, but it was not as well thought out and always got in the way. The PeakDesign connectors are well made but do wear over time. I do worry at some point I won't think to check and one will break, unexpectedly.
Unlikely that both will go at the same time, so I am going to steal your idea. :-)

01-25-2017, 06:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian
schnitzer79's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,219
Original Poster
Thanks guys.very helpful posts.
01-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kathu
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22
idem, no problem. better also since with the strap to the camera and twisting it around my pulse a couple of times it would always start pushing some buttons, not anymore now with one side connected to the grip.
01-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member
UserAccessDenied's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,674
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
Just purchased a Peak Design Slide and waiting for it to arrive. Will be using it with my K-3II and was just wondering if there are any issues with it attached on the battery grip tripod mount instead to that of the camera. I keep the grip on at all times since I find it balances nicely my heavier lenses and especially the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art which I have been using loads lately. Just concerned about the grip since it will have to bear the camera + lens weight when hanging to the side. Any chance of the grip becoming detached with such weight or any potential damage to the threads?

Thanks
Like others have stated, I use my Peak Design Slide the same way.
One anchor attached to the left shoulder ring on my K-3ii. The other anchor is attached to the Peak Design arca swiss plate on my D-BG5.

I've gone on hikes with my K-3ii + HD1.4xtc + DA*300. The anchors are working great and the point connection to the D-BG5 grip is very sturdy.

You should be very happy with your purchase!
I'll definitely be shopping at Peak Design again. Very high quality products!

01-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian
schnitzer79's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,219
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Like others have stated, I use my Peak Design Slide the same way.
One anchor attached to the left shoulder ring on my K-3ii. The other anchor is attached to the Peak Design arca swiss plate on my D-BG5.

I've gone on hikes with my K-3ii + HD1.4xtc + DA*300. The anchors are working great and the point connection to the D-BG5 grip is very sturdy.

You should be very happy with your purchase!
I'll definitely be shopping at Peak Design again. Very high quality products!
do you have the red plate or the standard (black) one? any pros of the red one over the standard one? i dont mean the proplate but the previous version.
01-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,940
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I'm a bit concerned about what would happen if one of the fasterners came lose for some reason, so I made a simple mod to my Slide Peak Design Slide add-on
Thanks for sharing this! I've just ordered the Slide strap, and this is such a great idea!
01-25-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
UserAccessDenied's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Maryland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,674
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
do you have the red plate or the standard (black) one? any pros of the red one over the standard one? i dont mean the proplate but the previous version.
Just the standard square black plate that comes with the strap.

It's very well built; just wish it had some length to it like other arcaswiss plates to run the width of the camera.
The D-BG5 tripod mount isn't centered on the bottom of the camera, so the plate that comes with the Peak Design strap puts the camera off-centered when mounted to a tripod.

I might just modify another arcaswiss plate I own to accept the Peak Design connectors.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
battery, battery grip, bodies, body, camera, grip, lens, lot, metal, strap, time, triangle, tripod, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Update) Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the K1 OoKU Pentax News and Rumors 202 04-13-2017 04:28 AM
Lightweight Camera Strap with Tripod Mount Attachment Recommendation reivax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 10 03-09-2016 01:23 AM
D-BG5 battery grip - how strong is the tripod mount? BigMackCam Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 6 05-14-2015 07:18 PM
Two tripod mount holes on a camera body? akptc Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 02-02-2015 06:48 PM
Battery Grip + Strap + Tripod plate Solution pb_red Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 06-25-2010 12:00 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top