Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Flash AF-540-FGZ II and Extension Cord (No 5P Sync socket)

Hi,
I used to use a AF-540-FGZ (version 1), with a extension cord F5P/F5P

and a Fg Hot shoe adapter

when I use my long focal lens for birding. The Flash is mounted above my lens, on a flash bracket and I use it with a flash extender (better beamer) to fill in the shadows when required.

The setup looks like that

I normally use HSS...

I recently aquired a used Version II to get weather proofing, and to my surprise, there is no 5P Sync socket on this flash???

Does that mean I need to put the flash on a Hot Shoe F now ???

Is there a way to make it working wireless or Wifi with the K-1 instead ?
Can't locate the right info....

Will I be able to keep HSS and P-TTL ?

Thanks for your insights

01-29-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
UMC

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Does that mean I need to put the flash on a Hot Shoe F now ???
Simply yes. I was not aware of the fact that they dropped the 5p connector on the II version
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Is there a way to make it working wireless or Wifi with the K-1 instead ?
No, unless you use 3rd party equipment for radio triggering. However, my knowledge is limited to genuine Pentax parts only.
01-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is one of the reasons I agonised over my flash purchase last year - version 1 actually had more to offer that I would use. Version 2 lost some features I would have liked, including self-regulating thyristor control for manual cameras But weather sealing was the overriding consideration, and the smaller size was also a clincher.
01-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have a Promaster-brand cable with a camera-style hotshoe socket on one end and the other end is just like a flash. It was adverstsed as Pentax-compatible and works fine. Although the flash protocols have changed, the socket and wiring haven't; this cable just extends the connections.

This should work the same way:

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

A lot cheaper than the Hot Shoe F.

01-31-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would this cable also communicate working data for analogue TTL flash as supported by the *istDS?
01-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think I used mine with an AF400FTZ and a DS just fine, but I can't remember exactly when I bought it. I just tested mine with the version 1 AF540FGZ and DS and TTL mode gives me the same results as with the flash on-camera. The Vello one should be fine too.
02-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #7
UMC

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
... but I can't remember exactly when I bought it....
Well, as long as it is 5p compatible, it should be fine. According to what I can see on the pictures all contacts are there.

Last edited by UMC; 02-01-2017 at 02:46 AM.