Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What radio trigger do you use?
Pocketwizards 44.65%
Skyports 22.33%
Flashwaves 44.65%
AB CyberSyncs 11.16%
MicroSyncs 33.49%
Cactus 2933.72%
Something Else (Please Elaborate) 44.65%
Optical Only 1011.63%
What's a radio trigger? 2933.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

What radio trigger do you use?

After reading Gene's wonderful review of his flashwaves, I was wondering to myself what other people use for radio triggers and what your thoughts are about them. I'm in the market for a set, and trying to figure out what to get.

08-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I voted optical, because that's what I've been using, but had some problems in brighter light (understandable) so am looking for triggers myself.
08-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
At the moment, I'm probably going to go with the CyberSync's from AlienBees. They are the cheapest of the bunch (excluding the ebay cactus poverty-wizards, which I'm not considering at the moment). I also really like AlienBees as a company, they seem to have a good head on their shoulders and work hard to do thing right. Plus their monolights are stupendous values for the money.
08-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I was considering the CyberSync transmitter and receivers ... until I read this review:

http://www.subtleimages.com/blog/2008/06/01/alienbees-cybersync-no-thanks/

That one review points out enough major problems that I came to the conclusion that if you want radio triggers you should either buy the super-cheap Chinese (Cactus) triggers or save your money and buy PocketWizards.

If you're not a working photographer and you can tolerate several misfires when using the cheap ebay triggers then get the cheap ebay triggers. If you're a working photographer who depends on the consistency of wireless flash there still isn't a GOOD and RELIABLE "cheap" alternative to PocketWizards.

08-06-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am using cheap wireless triggers I got on Ebay. Cheap because I paid something like $20 plus shipping for a transmitter and receiver. I guess they are no-name and made in China. So far during one photoshoot (approx 120 pictures taken) they performed flawlessly. They did not fire twice only but that was only because I had the flash mounted on a tripod and when moving tripod, I have disconnected the wire going into the flash.
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm in the market for radio triggers also.

Right now I'm between the flashwaves, cybersyncs, and skyports.

I'm leaning towards the cybersyncs, but the no on/off switch thing kind of bothers me. Also they don't have straps like the skyports (I know it's a small issue but I am going to be spending around 200). I have heard people complain about the skyports though because they have a rechargeable battery. Although, I can't see that being an issue for myself because I'm pretty good at keeping my electronics charged.

I'm really thinking about just trying out the cybersyncs and using their 60 day money back thing if I don't like them. They do seem to be the least expensive and the smallest.
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
I'm in the market for radio triggers also.

Right now I'm between the flashwaves, cybersyncs, and skyports.

I'm leaning towards the cybersyncs, but the no on/off switch thing kind of bothers me.

Paul C. Buff, the man running Alien Bee says this about the lack of power switch (from CyberSync Review.. - FM Forums):

QuoteQuote:
I hate on/off switches on battery gear unless needed, CST is always sleeping, with a two year battery life and wakes up and transmits the signal all in 1/4000 second. Users regularly leave power switches on and find the battery dead when to use them
I've been doing tons of reading, and it looks like right now, the cybersyncs are at the sweetspot.

08-06-2008, 10:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I came across that thread when I was doing a bit of research, but I didn't get through the entire thing. I was really impressed though that he actually spends time answering questions in the thread. It makes me question the few reviews from people that complain about AB's level of service.

Anyway, when you put it like that, the on off switch doesn't seem like a big deal. Which I guess it isn't, especially considering the options.
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

...don't have one.
08-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #10

Like your average high-schooler-with-no-budget, I use cactus. They're not that bad, actually.
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also posted my thought on Flashwaves https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/31950-fot-those...-triggers.html and since then have used them at 6 more events. Still not a single misfire. 100% reliable and perfectly featured triggers. They have been out in the rain (not recommended) and handled fairly roughly. They work great. I like all the ports for various types of lights and all the cables are included in the box.

Personally I couldn't ask for more and highly recommend these. I can see from the limited comments on the AB set that just feature for feature the Flashwaves are better.

Plus I have emailed them a couple of times and gotten accurate and prompt replies. What more could you ask for?
08-08-2008, 07:36 AM   #12

I think features wise, the AB and the flashwaves are pretty much a wash. I think the AB's have more range, and the flashwaves have a hotshoe on the receiver, plus comes with tons of cables.

I believe build quality is also a wash. There are some claims that the AB units are flimsy, but the owner of the company seems to feel that they're very robust. And I think he's got millions of dollars into it, and is on the second generation of this type of product. (The first gen, he was working with the company that makes the ebay triggers, and he said they couldn't/wouldn't overcome some technical problems, including FCC compliance. He decided to manufacture them himself in the USA).

But, pricing is where the ABs win. $60 for the transmitter and $70 for the receiver, vs the flashwaves at $99 for the transmitter and $150 for the receiver. The ABs will likely need a $20 adapter to work with whichever flash, but that's still a $60 gap per receiver.

Flashwaves do seem to have a more attractively priced package if you buy all at once. (1 transmitter, 2 receiver, $310). Even then, the ABs would cost $200 for the same, say $240 including adapters.

One more thing in favor of AB is a crazy commander unit that he's got in the works. (link) And a buyback program for old noncompatible units.

I think as a hobbiest, I need the triggers to cost less than the flash units , and I hate dealing with cheap crap. Aren't the pocket wizards like $180/unit? And they can be xmit or rcvr, and have some nifty features and have proven their build quality? Ah, I guess you'd need a gaggle of $20-50 cables and adapters, so they'd come in a lot higher than the flashwaves....

EDIT: Oh, couple more features for AB. You can daisy chain them to extend range, and someone's gotten them to sync at like 1/2000.
08-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deuces Quote
I think features wise, the AB and the flashwaves are pretty much a wash. I think the AB's have more range, and the flashwaves have a hotshoe on the receiver, plus comes with tons of cables.

I believe build quality is also a wash. There are some claims that the AB units are flimsy, but the owner of the company seems to feel that they're very robust. And I think he's got millions of dollars into it, and is on the second generation of this type of product. (The first gen, he was working with the company that makes the ebay triggers, and he said they couldn't/wouldn't overcome some technical problems, including FCC compliance. He decided to manufacture them himself in the USA).

But, pricing is where the ABs win. $60 for the transmitter and $70 for the receiver, vs the flashwaves at $99 for the transmitter and $150 for the receiver. The ABs will likely need a $20 adapter to work with whichever flash, but that's still a $60 gap per receiver.

Flashwaves do seem to have a more attractively priced package if you buy all at once. (1 transmitter, 2 receiver, $310). Even then, the ABs would cost $200 for the same, say $240 including adapters.

One more thing in favor of AB is a crazy commander unit that he's got in the works. (link) And a buyback program for old noncompatible units.

I think as a hobbiest, I need the triggers to cost less than the flash units , and I hate dealing with cheap crap. Aren't the pocket wizards like $180/unit? And they can be xmit or rcvr, and have some nifty features and have proven their build quality? Ah, I guess you'd need a gaggle of $20-50 cables and adapters, so they'd come in a lot higher than the flashwaves....

EDIT: Oh, couple more features for AB. You can daisy chain them to extend range, and someone's gotten them to sync at like 1/2000.

You've pretty much outlined my entire thought process. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up some CyberSync's.

Not sure if I'm supposed to link to other forums, but here is some good info regarding the CyberSync's, including posts from Paul Buff (Senor AlienBee), and some pictures of the units.

CyberSync Review.. - FM Forums

The AB recievers come with 2 cords, mini-plug to mini-plug, and mini-plug to PC Sync.

I'm thinking of picking up a couple of SB28's with the build in sync jack, no adapters required, and just use them as dedicated remote strobes.
08-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

This has been a most informative thread, thanks all!
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ben, I'll be interested to hear what your working results are with these in comparison to the FlashWaves. Post some thoughts when you have used them for 500 shots or so.