Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What radio trigger do you use?
Pocketwizards 44.65%
Skyports 22.33%
Flashwaves 44.65%
AB CyberSyncs 11.16%
MicroSyncs 33.49%
Cactus 2933.72%
Something Else (Please Elaborate) 44.65%
Optical Only 1011.63%
What's a radio trigger? 2933.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #16

Just received my second set of Cactus V2s from Gadget Infinity (transmitter + receiver). It's all I need, perfectly reliable so far, I lost a receiver sometime ago but what do I care given the price ?

As an extra you now get a nice quality flash stand inside.

I considered the Flashwaves, they were very tempting, but I could not justify the price to myself.

08-09-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ben, I'll be interested to hear what your working results are with these in comparison to the FlashWaves. Post some thoughts when you have used them for 500 shots or so.
I took the plunge this morning....ordered 1 transmitter and 2 recievers from AB's. Ended up being $205 shipped which is pretty good considering it's about the cost of 1 PW transciever (or 1 of each from flashwaves).

I just sold my 360FGZ so that will help fund this endevour...

I've also got a Nikon SB-28 coming my way and will be bidding to get a second. It will be nice to have flashes with PC sync built in, no adapters needed. They are going for about $100 shipped (secondhand of course) so I will be in for about $400 for 2 wireless radio strobes that are battery powered. Not bad at all IMHO.

I'll put it through it's paces and post a detailed review once I get a good feeling for what they can do.
08-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #18
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You sold your flash to fund the purchase of a flash trigger.... I needed a smile today!

I hear the Nikons are a reliable workhorse.
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM   #19
cmv

eBay 16 channel triggers from magic_trigger (same/similar to the ones from gadget infinity).

08-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
cmv

eBay triggers (16 channel model) from magic_trigger. Few misfires on rare occasions but otherwise fine. They fit my needs for now.
08-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
You sold your flash to fund the purchase of a flash trigger.... I needed a smile today!

I hear the Nikons are a reliable workhorse.
Actually I sold my flash to buy different flashes. I was using the 360 almost exclusively off camera and in manual mode, so I thought I could sell it and replace it with 2 Vivitar 285HV's for about what it was worth. Than I decided to go for the Nikons because of the built in Sync port, thus negating the need for adapters since most radio triggers (that I'm lookin at) come with necessary cables to trigger via PC sync.... Since the Nikons can be had for the same money as the Vivs I went down that road...

The triggers are just icing on the cake....
08-15-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
Actually I sold my flash to buy different flashes. I was using the 360 almost exclusively off camera and in manual mode, so I thought I could sell it and replace it with 2 Vivitar 285HV's for about what it was worth. Than I decided to go for the Nikons because of the built in Sync port, thus negating the need for adapters since most radio triggers (that I'm lookin at) come with necessary cables to trigger via PC sync.... Since the Nikons can be had for the same money as the Vivs I went down that road...

The triggers are just icing on the cake....
I ordered the AB's too. Mine should be coming Monday, and I wanted to make sure I have all the cables etc. I actually may just go with your idea.

Now to sell the 540 or the 360 ... hmm ...

08-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple of variants here...

Well,

I use a couple of different systems depending on my needs.

CLS:
When I can get away with it the Nikon CLS system is simply soo convenient , reliable and all.
The ability to have almost full control of 3 different flashgroups from the controller makes you lazy real fast, auto HSS, etc.
Range in strong sunlight is not the best though.
The pentax equivalent while not quite as advanced is not doing bad either.

Microsyncs:
When I need more range or has no need for HSS, I use a microsyncs.
Comes Highly recommended from me. Only downsside is shorter range compared to the likes of PW and Skyport. They are however very well built and the fact that the transmitter is soo tiny and has a steel foot, well that really is a benefit to me.

Cactus V2:
Used the cactus V2 for a brief while, would not recommend them.
Unreliable, cheap build and hardly usable outdoors.
08-16-2008, 05:44 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
I ordered the AB's too. Mine should be coming Monday, and I wanted to make sure I have all the cables etc. I actually may just go with your idea.

Now to sell the 540 or the 360 ... hmm ...
Sounds exactly like my situation. I kept my 540, I like it and I want to have at least one flash with ttl for when I'm feeling lazy....

I've since got the 2 Nikon SB-28's and they are very nice, got them both for $90 each (on the bay) and one had a sto-fen with it so that's nice. No real testing yet, still waiting on the AB CyberSyncs to arrive monday.

On a side note, I ordered the alienbees on a Saturday. I got a voicemail message on Wednesday, saying "there was a slight delay shipping out your cybersyncs, but they will ship tommorrow, just wanted to let you know." Holy crap! 3 days is a slight delay? I honestly don't care that much, but it was very nice to have a human being calling me up to let me know the status. I've been very impressed with Mr. Buff's organization thus far.

Can't wait to complete the system and start testing it out.
08-16-2008, 06:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Just have to say "STAY AWAY FROM SKYPORT AND BOGEN!!"
Been having trouble with them since APRIL.
I've been contacting their tech support on multiple occasions.
Each time I wait between 10 and thirty days for a response.
I finally contact their more senior people who profusely apologize for the delays and the support tech gets back to me in moments. (with statements like; I never got your last email, or I thought we had it all cleared up).

The thing has less than advertised range. (fully charged and new batteries, directly line of sight, etc..)
Advertised up to 1/1000s on electronic shutter and up to 1/250 on standard SLR shutters.
I can barely get 1/100 (the K10D goes to 1/180 - but not with he skyport!!)

I asked them simple math problems to hep determine if my device is faulty or if my camera or somethig else is at fault. NO RESPONSE. Or, well that is expected.
They state 4 millionths of a second to trigger the remove device... That is a FAR cry from 1 hundredth!!! Yet they are not interested in a solution.

I also use D-Lite system also by the Bogen conglomerate...
Less than 50 shots and they died. It was a known issue with bad capacitors installed in some of their equipment. OK, shit happens, but you think they could notify their registered customers or pull the known faulty units form shelves?

Bogen will get no more of my business. They my have had good rep in the past, but they have shown no interest in their customer as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway... buy anything but the Skyports. Lots of promise, some really nice features on paper, but in reality you're just flushing your money away.
08-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, just wanted to add... I get the exact same results from the Skyports that I do with the $30 Cactus from eBay!!!

Was hoping for better equipment but failed. I carry the Cactus remote everywhere. For the cost, it really doesn't mattermch if they get lost or damaged. :-)
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Got the CyberSyncs today, did a quick test and they seem pretty nice. I really like the size. I'm going to give the a proper shake-down and I'll post my thoughts shortly.

First Impressions: Build quality seems decent, reliability seems good thus far, included accessories seem fairly comprehensive and high quality.

I think I'm going to be happy with them, I'll post a full review in the near future.
08-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #28

Quantum Radio Slave 2.
In the mail right now from KEH
Only $47, bargain condition, with transmitter and receiver. Not half bad, eh?