Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shoulder-carried camera bag suggestions welcome

My well-worn and much loved Lowepro Nova 1 AW camera bag snapped its front flap closing hasp this morning, leaving me with the question of what to replace it with for a trip I'm likely to be taking in February.

Gear list for that trip currently comprises:
K-5 with charger and spare battery (I had thought about the *istDS, but some of the environmental conditions are anticipated to be cold and wet, and some of the shots will be low-light where even the K-5 struggles sometimes).
Remote release (corded).
Tiny tabletop tripod (good enough for a K-5 with Limited or normal prime).
FA50/1.4 (for low light, and in case I meet a K-1 I want to try).
DA18-135 (general purpose travelling-with-kids WR zoom; will likely be spending most of the time on the camera).
DA15/4 (because I missed having a wide angle last time we went to one of the places we're going).

The last time I went overseas, this bag held the K-5, the 15/40/70 Limiteds (the 21/3.2 was usually on the camera), and the accessories mentioned above, with ease. But having the 18-135 on the camera alters the volumetrics somewhat. So something ever so slightly larger might be nice.

Thoughts?

01-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My well-worn and much loved Lowepro Nova 1 AW camera bag snapped its front flap closing hasp this morning, leaving me with the question of what to replace it with for a trip I'm likely to be taking in February.

Gear list for that trip currently comprises:
K-5 with charger and spare battery (I had thought about the *istDS, but some of the environmental conditions are anticipated to be cold and wet, and some of the shots will be low-light where even the K-5 struggles sometimes).
Remote release (corded).
Tiny tabletop tripod (good enough for a K-5 with Limited or normal prime).
FA50/1.4 (for low light, and in case I meet a K-1 I want to try).
DA18-135 (general purpose travelling-with-kids WR zoom; will likely be spending most of the time on the camera).
DA15/4 (because I missed having a wide angle last time we went to one of the places we're going).

The last time I went overseas, this bag held the K-5, the 15/40/70 Limiteds (the 21/3.2 was usually on the camera), and the accessories mentioned above, with ease. But having the 18-135 on the camera alters the volumetrics somewhat. So something ever so slightly larger might be nice.

Thoughts?
I too will be taking a trip soon, and I usually use my Lowepro Nova 180 AW for day trips. It will hold my K3 with lens attached and several other lenses - long telephoto, and some short prime lenses, especially if I stack them. Though the weight of everything may be too much to carry all day. I also have a Nova 200 to carry more lenses in the car. I have used the Nova 200 also on airplanes, it's large enough to fit a Microsoft Surface size tablet in the back behind the camera and lenses, so I have all of my important items on my person, but will fit on my lap or at my feet.

We are taking our first cruise, and I haven't completed decided, but I know my DA18-135, HD 55-300, and the Sigma 12-24 I just picked up will be going, probably my 35mm macro limited, and a 50mm Takumar for fun shots.
01-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #3

I'm a self-confessed bagoholic, so I have lots of bags...However, I find that in all my travels and outings, I realistically swap between two lenses at any given time: a normal zoom and a low-light macro. My current kit is a KS2 with the kit 18-50 (quite a nice lens, don't believe the negative press!) and a Sigma 50/2.8 macro lens. Additionally, I also keep a travel tripod (trek-tech t'pod), spare batteries, and an IR remote.

All of the above can fit in my Crumpler Three Million Dollar Home shoulder bag, which brings the added benefit of not really looking like a camera bag, which is important for me.

My questions:
- do you really need to carry a charger with the camera? Why can't this just be packed separately?
- how frequently do you really change lenses when out and about?
- do you also carry another bag for your other incidentals (snacks, water, jacket, etc)?

Whenever I travel, I almost always have a backpack AND the camera bag...It's very rare for me to just have the camera bag when I travel. When out and about locally, sure just the camera bag, but when traveling, I tend to bring a bunch of other stuff with me...
01-29-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd say just replace the buckle if you like the bag...

01-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Wow, it sounds like you guys are taking everything but the kitchen sink. I'm a big fan of Domke camera bags. I own 3. I would suggest the Domke F-2 shoulder bag from bhphotovideo.com It gets high marks and there are 4 colors to choose from. It looks like it has plenty of room for your gear although I do not own this model. I've got a Tamrac Pro 8 that I acquired free from an eBay purchase which is about the same size. I rarely haul that much gear with me so most of my bags are just not that large.

What is your budget?

---------- Post added 01-29-17 at 08:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Flipmack Quote
'm a self-confessed bagoholic
As am I. Our Camera Bags Anonymous meetings are held Tuesdays nights 7 o'clock sharp.

QuoteOriginally posted by Flipmack Quote
Whenever I travel, I almost always have a backpack AND the camera bag...It's very rare for me to just have the camera bag when I travel
That is an excellent idea and one I also adhere to. I usually bring my Billingham F/stop 1.4 along with my Lowepro 200AW lens exchange case so that I can grab the gear i want out of the bag and then sling the camera over one shoulder using my Peak Design unit and then the 200AW over the other shoulder so I can easily swap 2 lenses.

Billingham F/stop 1.4 with lowepro 200AW lens exchange case.

Last edited by Driline; 01-29-2017 at 07:31 PM.
01-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll probably get all sorts of recommendations!

Like @dclauria, I also have a LowePro Nova 180 AW. In fact, it's been my main shoulder bag for four years, and my 'go to' bag for travel..

It will hold all of your indicated gear, with a bit of room to spare, I think. I routinely carry a K-3 II, 50-135, 2-3 small primes, charger/battery, small cleaning kit, and various small items. The interior dimensions are roughly 22 x 14 x 18 cm (LxWxH).

- Craig
01-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had several Tamrac bag for years from small shoulder to med. lg. shoulder to Expedition back pack. They have lots of choices and prices to fit most any budget. I have never had a failure and I load them pretty good. May not be the most stylish but they have sure performed well for me. My gear stays in the bags when not in use and that protect them pretty well from dust and makes storage easy.

01-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Like @dclauria, I also have a LowePro Nova 180 AW
Don't you find this bag a bit wide? It's 9 inches deep. That's one wide bag you're carrying there.
01-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Don't you find this bag a bit wide? It's 9 inches deep. That's one wide bag you're carrying there.
I haven't been overly bothered by the bag's dimensions. I also have a Nova 160 that I picked up for $4; it's smaller of course but has less capacity.
01-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had 2 LowePro Novas - I think a 30 and a 50. I thought they were too square and uncomfortable. After a thoughtful assessment of real usage I'm down to 4 bags:
  1. Domke F2 - canvas, holds 2 film bodies and up to 10 lenses
  2. Domke F3 - canvas, holds 1 dSLR with 28~105, 3 normal/wides & AF540FGZ & Batteries
  3. Domke F5 - canvas, holds Q-7, 4 lenses, a tiny tripod and accessories
  4. LowePro 200 AW Backpack - holds dSLR, 70~200 Zoom or 300 Prime, 8-10 lenses, AF540 flash, junk and a full tripod
I like the unstructured form of the Domke bags. I have a postman shoulder strap for the F-2 and gripper straps and hand straps for the others.

Almost every time I go out I take the F3 with the K-1 and lenses (before K-1 that was K-3 and DA Limiteds, and it is a bit tight now). If I'm going on a longer vacation I usually take that set up plus a long lens in a sleeve in another place. Light vacation is the Q7 kit.

The backpack or F2 I fill with lenses and go out to play for the afternoon or day, but both are really just for 'Car Camping', not traveling. I can also take one film camera, a few lenses, a flash and film in the F-3 very comfortably.

I would consider the Domke F3 bag in one of its various fabrics.
01-29-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've had 2 LowePro Novas - I think a 30 and a 50. I thought they were too square and uncomfortable. After a thoughtful assessment of real usage I'm down to 4 bags:
  1. Domke F2 - canvas, holds 2 film bodies and up to 10 lenses
  2. Domke F3 - canvas, holds 1 dSLR with 28~105, 3 normal/wides & AF540FGZ & Batteries
  3. Domke F5 - canvas, holds Q-7, 4 lenses, a tiny tripod and accessories
  4. LowePro 200 AW Backpack - holds dSLR, 70~200 Zoom or 300 Prime, 8-10 lenses, AF540 flash, junk and a full tripod
I like the unstructured form of the Domke bags. I have a postman shoulder strap for the F-2 and gripper straps and hand straps for the others.

Almost every time I go out I take the F3 with the K-1 and lenses (before K-1 that was K-3 and DA Limiteds, and it is a bit tight now). If I'm going on a longer vacation I usually take that set up plus a long lens in a sleeve in another place. Light vacation is the Q7 kit.

The backpack or F2 I fill with lenses and go out to play for the afternoon or day, but both are really just for 'Car Camping', not traveling. I can also take one film camera, a few lenses, a flash and film in the F-3 very comfortably.

I would consider the Domke F3 bag in one of its various fabrics.
I think your Domke F3 suggestion is a great idea. Not too big and not too small. Which Domke F5 bag do you own? I've got both the 5XB and 5XC. I use them both. Of course I use all 10 of my camera bags including the 2 Clik Elite backpacks
01-30-2017, 04:10 AM   #12
Veteran Member

My favorite shoulder bag is a Think Tank Speed Demon. It will hold a camera body with attached lens and a few other lenses or flash. The cool thing about it is that it has a belt that zips out and you can wear it as a waist pack as well.
01-30-2017, 04:19 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want a long term investment, I'm a big fan of Billingham - timeless classics built to last.
01-30-2017, 04:46 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I think your Domke F3 suggestion is a great idea. Not too big and not too small. Which Domke F5 bag do you own? I've got both the 5XB and 5XC. I use them both. Of course I use all 10 of my camera bags including the 2 Clik Elite backpacks
5XB. It has a Domke Tamron slash on the flap - was a drawing prize at a Dealer in-store event years ago.

Last edited by monochrome; 01-30-2017 at 07:11 AM.
01-30-2017, 05:00 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
big fan of Billingham - timeless classics built to last.
yes agree on that, great bags.