Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2017, 06:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
If you want a long term investment, I'm a big fan of Billingham - timeless classics built to last.
Which Billingham bags do you own?

01-30-2017, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Shoulder-carried camera bag suggestions welcome
Best suggestion I can come up with is... not to put too much in it.

It can soon become a real pain (literally) humping it about all on one shoulder, I found the Crumpler "third leg" stabiliser to really useful for helping to maintain the bags position when worn.

Nowadays... I use Pelican 1510 cases (with wheels) to get to site and then decant just what I absolutely need for the shoot to the Crumpler.
01-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #18
Forum Member

I can echo recommendations for Domke. I have the F2 and F3-X (having ditched a number of bags/backpacks previously).

I suggest looking at both. You may well get away with the F3-X (my most used bag), but the F2 gives that extra bit of room - although it is quite a bit longer.
01-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Which Billingham bags do you own?
currently only the (large) Hadley pro original - classic unobtrusive design and quality materials. It's a bit small for lenses like the, but great for easy access and a couple of bodies and more modest lenses - it's a walk around bag, not a hiking or travelling bag.

01-30-2017, 08:39 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
currently only the (large) Hadley pro original - classic unobtrusive design and quality materials. It's a bit small for lenses like the, but great for easy access and a couple of bodies and more modest lenses - it's a walk around bag, not a hiking or travelling bag.
Yep. Very nice bag with 2 large pockets in the front. If you read some of my previous threads just a few down from this one I talk about trading my Hadley Pro in for the deeper 1.4 F/stop. It's 5 1/2 inches deep as compared to the 3" deep Hadley Pro. It doesn't have the 2 front pockets though, so I also ended up purchasing the Aveo 5 pouch that snaps on the end. This bag just allows for much easier access and removal of equipment because of the added depth.

I can actually fit my K-3 with grip on in this bag.

Plenty of room for 4 lenses too.

With Avea 5 pouch. (Holds my flash or more lenses).

Last edited by Driline; 01-30-2017 at 11:23 AM.
01-30-2017, 08:40 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera bags... an ongoing problem. I used to be able to suggest, delicately of course, to my better half that another handbag is surely not absolutely necessary. I was wrong then, and I dare not say anything now as my position is untenable. If she were to take a look in my camera bag cupboard ... all completely necessary, of course, but it would take some explaining.

One option I've taken to use, is to adapt a messenger bag, that does not therefore scream camera bag, with inserts that you can easily buy on Amazon. Buying a selection of these cheaply allows a non-camera bagto become a personalised camera bag, configurable per outing. Even a layer of bubble wrap on the bottom of the bag, with no infills, works fine. For waterproofing, I've a small rucksack cover that packs to a very small bundle that is easily lost. This is not really a cheapskate option, as it is very configurable, doesn't say look here for expensive camera equipment, and can be used for other purposes.

For robust, water-resistant, reasonably priced, Lowepro bags have become my workhorses. But then, I can't help adapting them too ...
01-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Where's Pathdoc the original poster? Maybe his head exploded with all this information we bombarded him with

01-30-2017, 03:20 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Domke. That's all you need to know. Next question!
01-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

you can buy a quality buckle from just about any outdoor shop and replace the offending connector
01-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Where's Pathdoc the original poster? Maybe his head exploded with all this information we bombarded him with
Doing my best to scrape my brains off the wall.

Only kidding. Had a very busy day and evening since posing my question and am going to let the answers mull around in my head for a while, picking out from everyone's descriptions of features not merely what's the best buy but WHY it's the best buy for each of you. From there, I can think about how that works in with what I need the bag to hold, in the contexts it will be used.
01-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go to the biggest camera store you can get to and physically handle as many bags as you can.

I have bought a Domke Metro Messenger and the new Peak Design backback sight unseen over the web, and both have underwhelmed me - I just can't make them work with my gear. My ancient LowePro Nova 4 AW is still my favourite, with a little Tamrac a close second, both having been bought at a B&M store.
01-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In my town, the biggest camera store is WALMART.

Nearest dedicated camera store is four or five hours drive away, and family and work responsibilities prohibit a trip that long for something as trivial as this.
01-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Domke. That's all you need to know. Next question!
My favorites among the Domke bags:
1. Chronicle Ruggedwear. this will handle two bodies, chargers, batteries, a grip and multiple lenses. It is an update of the F-2 but it adds thicker padding around the bag and a trolley strap on the back of the bag. B&H has it in black rugged wear canvas on sale for $139 USD. It's definitely worth a lot more than that. This is my travel bag when I need to be ready for anything and everything. With the trolley strap it can ride on my wheeled luggage with the removable hand and shoulder straps packed in my luggage until I need them
2. F-803 a very compact satchel which is my lightweight day bag. Its narrow shape means you can carry with shoulder strap and keep the bag under your arm comfortably which is great in crowded areas. Though it is compact it holds a surprising amount of stuff without cramming it full. I typically carry K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM and 3 limiteds such as 15, 21 and 40 in it. It still has outside pouches if I need filters, cell phone or extra batteries or the teleonverter.
If you have the Best Buy chain in Canada they have a version of the F-803 in olive green rugged wear canvas with brown leather trim at a very good price.
Since I got these two Domke bags I am in the process of getting rid of all of my other bags which are not needed anymore.
01-30-2017, 06:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
F-803 a very compact satchel which is my lightweight day bag. Its narrow shape means you can carry with shoulder strap and keep the bag under your arm comfortably which is great in crowded areas.
This is my favorite Domke bag I take to work everyday. Mine is black and looks like a work satchel. I like it because my IPAD fits perfectly in the back sleeve and I can take my Pentax K-3 with several lenses or remove everything inside and just take my F*300 telephoto attached to the K-3.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My ancient LowePro Nova 4 AW is still my favourite, with a little Tamrac a close second, both having been bought at a B&M store.
Looking at your great vacation pictures from Europe I really think you need to add a Billingham bag to your repertoire of camera bags. You will fit right in with the locals. Except for those brightly colored "trail hiking shoes"
01-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I posted this in another Pentax forum thread awhile ago. It fits this inquiry as well. I stopped using LowePro bags as my regular bags...too many plastic clips breaking....if I recall correctly, 2 out of my 5 LowePro bags ended up with breaking plastic clips. I did repair one...got a luggage repair company to replace with a heavier duty clip, but I'm thinking at $ 20 a pop for repairs I'm not sure I will continue this practice. LowePro need to use much stronger, durable clips. Interesting to see that it's not just me that has had problems with breaking LowePro clips.

"I now use mostly just Domke F2 Original bags for my equipment. I tried a backpack....but but had a couple instances where equipment fell out. Partially my fault as I like to leave bags open in the car for quick retrieval of equipment. But when I needed to grab the backpack fast...it didn't work for me, as does a top opener, traditional bag. The backpacks just seem to have covers that open far too wide for me.

But that's me. So far the Domke F2's are working very well...tough connectors, excellent straps, heavy duty canvas...durable, reliable, well designed. After almost 50 years of trying camera containers ranging from aluminum suitcase types..to hard case...to backpacks...the F-2's are my favourite. "

Last edited by lesmore49; 01-30-2017 at 07:37 PM.