Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #16

my brother had a problem loosing car keys, eventually there were so many lost ones floating around his dorm rom and home that he would eventualy find a copy or two and stopped buying/copying new ones

08-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I am all about simplicity, but this is so simple it will PROBABLY reveal me for the idiot I probably really am. But always willing to help, so...

I have found that the key to not losing stuff (read: my keys, my glasses, my phone, my wallet, etc.) is consistency. Find a place for the thing and ALWAYS, without fail, put it there. For example: When my wallet is out of my pocket or hand, it had better be in the top drawer of the desk near the back door.

So, as for lens caps, I take off the lens cap and immediately place it in my left front pants pocket. Without fail. Every time. I have not lost a lens cap since I discovered this simple solution. As has been mentioned, I do look to see if it's been contaminated, and since I also usually have a micro-cloth in another standard location, will often swipe it clean before putting it back on.

woof!
Hey Woof...now that we know where you keep your cash handy...mind telling us your address? Wouldn't mind if you left the back door open too - saves the hassle

c[_]
08-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #18

A friend of mine uses little velcro "buttons". He puts one of the loop buttons (the soft side of the Velcro pair) on the inside of the lens cap, and puts the hook button on the camera strap. They're both black, so barely noticeable when not in use.

He uses this method for all kinds of things : spare key for his truck, spare key for his house : He just puts them somewhere people won't think to look (I won't say where ...) Works well, he says...

I've been thinking about a velcro solution to the little filter cutout thingys on my Pentax lenses... I haven't lost one yet, but expect to at some point...
08-06-2008, 08:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I use the technique never to loose them... don't use them! Lens shade in the 'in use' postion only.

08-07-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been just putting them in my pocket. If I put them anywhere else, I tend to lose them. (I lost one in the winter, thankfully when the snow melted I found it where I knew I lost it.)

Those capkeepers are a nice idea - but I had a few one time and had to remove them, just too much of a PITA.
08-08-2008, 05:20 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My solution to preventing lens cap loss is simple:

When I buy a lens I remove the lens cap and stick it in a box in my closet ... and I mount a rigid metal or plastic hood to all my lenses to protect the front elements from damage.

The only lens I own that keeps a lens cap on is my Sigma 8mm fisheye ... because you cannot mount a hood to that lens.

As both a working photographer and as a parent I've missed too many great photo opportunities because I was taking off a stupid lens cap.

I stopped using lens caps a couple years ago after watching the movie "Pecker." I didn't particularly like that film, but there's a great scene where the young photographer in the movie gets a new camera and looks at the lens cap like, "What is this?" Then he immediately proceeds to throw away the lens cap.

I remember thinking, "Why didn't I think of that?" Lens caps just don't serve a purpose for me (with the exception of my fisheye lens) so I just store them in the closet and forget about them.
08-09-2008, 10:48 PM   #22
cmv

I'm with JJJPhoto except I'm still building up my lens hood collection.

In the mean time, take the original caps and stick them in a draw (if they are special). Then go to DealExtreme.com and buy a bunch of decent quality generic caps with spares. Put the spares in your bag pockets, put the rest on your lenses and go shoot some photos. Lose a cap? Who cares.

08-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #23
Forum Member

If you go to a gun store that sells scopes, often even wal-mart, they have those Butler Creek flip-up scope caps for sale. They would probably need trimming, but I'm sure you could find one that would fit your lense. I'm probably going to do that to my camera, and have it flip downward. I used to have the same lens-cap problem with my rifle scopes, until I discovered the Butler Creek flip-caps which are worth ten times the price. Not stylish, but optics are expensive.
08-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #24
MrA

I used to keep a blob of blu-tak on top of the pop-up-flash on my old Sony F717 specifically for the lens cap; that worked pretty well. Nowadays, I make sure I have my jackets have an outer breast pocket, preferably with a popper or zip, which is reserved solely for lens caps.