Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Signs of Age . . . . .

. . . . . . or do I own too many camera bags?

I have three '80s era Domke bags of various designs that house all my film bodies and K,M and A lenses (none of which I've used in years), a Crumpler bag in which my K-5 is stored, a small Domke bag that is perfect for my K-3 and two or three DA or FA limiteds, and a boxy Ruggard bag ideal for consolidating and storing DA and DFA lenses. The Ruggard came as part of a package deal from B&H on my new K-1 and DFA 28-105. This morning, I decided to reorganize my digital camera cabinet, but before doing so I started searching for a new bag dedicated to the K-1. I settled on an olive Domke F-3X and almost put it in the "cart" when I had an eerie feeling of deja vu strong enough to make me hold off ordering until I had finished my reorganization. And that was a good thing; when I started emptying the cabinet I pulled out an empty and virtually-unused olive Domke F-3X! As it happens, I ordered it several years ago when I bought my K-5, found it too big for my needs and forgot all about it. It fits the K-1 like a glove.

Jer

02-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He who dies with the most Domke bags wins!

I confess that I too sometimes must check my "inventory" before I buy.

The F-3X is a terrific bag. I too had one in olive, but I sold it. I prefer my Domke F-6, also olive.
It's roughly the same overall size, but I prefer the larger main compartment in lieu of end pouches.

Chris
02-03-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have several bags from 1980's to now, from shoulder bags to backpacks. I could live without all except two, The Domke F-803 satchel day bag and Domke Chronicle for traveling with most of my gear. These are by far my favorites.
02-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

. . . . . . . . I confess that I too sometimes must check my "inventory" before I buy. . . . . . . . . .

Chris
Thanks, Chris - that is certainly comforting!

Your F-6, which I don't recall seeing in my search, does sound like a better setup than my F-3X, but I think I'll hang on to it - it's like the Prodigal who returneth!

Jer

02-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
. . . . . . or do I own too many camera bags?
Quite probably, it is your house that is too small. I would start looking for a bigger one with room for more bags immediately!
02-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
Quite probably, it is your house that is too small. I would start looking for a bigger one with room for more bags immediately!

Hey, Carl - you may have something there. We've been thinking of moving, although we have conflicting requirements like "lots of shade but no trees" and
"small lot with big, three-car garage."

Jer
02-04-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I have two Domke F2 original bags...one olive green, the other black.

I have tried them all...camera bags and cases that is....backpacks, aluminum cases, plastic cases, regular canvas bags, ballistic nylon bags, etc. and etc

My opinion, based on my experience...Domke bags are the best.

I think Will Rogers said... "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment".

I'm not exactly sure how that 'Rogerism' applies...but somehow I think it does, when it comes to wise selection of camera bags.

Les

02-05-2017, 01:58 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Signs of Age... or do I own too many camera bags?
That's you and me both, I prefer to think of it as more of being a seasoned photographer... several old school Lowepro Magnums from back in the day, a couple of massive Crumplers and now Pelican 1510s as they have wheels.

There have been other disasters but I'm not admitting to those camera bag choices.
02-05-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think two vitally important things exist in this world - the perfect computer keyboard, and the perfect camera bag.

Not found either yet.
02-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The OP comment was clearly more about "stuff", age and possible forgetfulness. IMO it should have remained in General Talk.
I am sorry if as a result of my reply some well-intentioned but misguided mod thought this is really "just a bag thread" and moved it...

Chris
02-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have two Domke F2 original bags...one olive green, the other black.

I have tried them all...camera bags and cases that is....backpacks, aluminum cases, plastic cases, regular canvas bags, ballistic nylon bags, etc. and etc

My opinion, based on my experience...Domke bags are the best.

I think Will Rogers said... "Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment".

I'm not exactly sure how that 'Rogerism' applies...but somehow I think it does, when it comes to wise selection of camera bags.

Les
Hey Les - I owned a bunch of retched bags before buying an original Domke around '81. Since then, I've tried other stuff but always seem to wind my way back to Domke bags.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote

There have been other disasters but I'm not admitting to those camera bag choices.
I think there's a forum rule that says you can't be forced to testify against yourself.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I think two vitally important things exist in this world - the perfect computer keyboard, and the perfect camera bag.

Not found either yet.
A water hose nozzle for washing cars is another one that jumps to my mind.

Jer

The OP comment was clearly more about "stuff", age and possible forgetfulness. IMO it should have remained in General Talk.
I am sorry if as a result of my reply some well-intentioned but misguided mod thought this is really "just a bag thread" and moved it...

Chris
Yeah,that was my thinking and why I posted it to General, but - hey - worked out fine, anyway.

Jer
02-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

A water hose nozzle for washing cars is another one that jumps to my mind.
Don't drive or have a car, so this is not one of my priorities. Other people wash the trains and buses I use - or at least, are supposed to do so !
02-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Don't drive or have a car, so this is not one of my priorities. Other people wash the trains and buses I use - or at least, are supposed to do so !
No car? Think about it; you're missing the indescribable joys of depreciation!!!!!

Jer
02-06-2017, 03:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

No car? Think about it; you're missing the indescribable joys of depreciation!!!!!
Sir,
I deprecate your suggestion of missing depreciation !! My refusal to utilise motor vehicles is predicated on a multitude of factors, first and foremost being the cumulative effect of the effluvious discharges from infernal combustion engines on the environment - my carbon footprint is as low as I can achieve, and I intend to keep it that way.
I also have physical issues with the controls of motor vehicles (and I have tried, in the dim and distant past, when mobility was easier), both with the foot pedals and with the direction control mechanisms. I also find it difficult to concentrate on a multiplicity of external influences simultaneously, thus rendering me a minor menace on the roads, and even at my age I have a very short fuse when it comes to tolerating other peoples' stupidity and inability to achieve joined-up thinking.
At least on my bicycle, if I lose control, the only person likely to get hurt is myself (for some reason, I always fall away from traffic !), and while I am lying in the ditch clutching a broken wrist and whimpering, the local wildlife can gather round and laugh at the antics of the 'Crown of Creation'.
Now, to return to what I believe may have been the original topic of this thread, the accumulation of items that may not get used frequently, I almost bought yet another 'gadget bag', as I believe they used to be called, yesterday, but it was sold to another, thus depriving me of yet another chance to be disappointed at the inability of manufacturers to provide what I require. Sigh !

Tony

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 02-06-2017 at 03:43 AM. Reason: mis-speling
02-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He who dies with the most Domke bags wins!
I probably have about 20 odd domke bags, not all of them were bought by me (thank god) when they are thrown into storage they seem to multiply.

I have some vintage ones that probably would probably fetch decent prices among hipsters.