Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #1

K3 | Upgrade to K1? | Sigma lenses - 35 ART 1.4 - 85 1.4?

Hey, all -

So, I have been shooting with a K3 for roughly 2 years. I have been so impressed by the camera that about 6 months ago, I purchased an additional K3 body as a backup.

Recently, my photography business has really started to skyrocket and I'm looking at upgrading to the K1.

For those of you who have shot with both, is the monetary outlay worthwhile? I definitely have an itch for full-frame and would appreciate the vastly superior sensor. With that being said, I want to know if there is going to be a large enough improvement in image quality to justify spending $1,800? A fairly vague question, I know.

I predominantly shoot portraiture, lifestyle, and fashion.

Also, as of now, I shoot predominantly with 2 lenses:

Sigma Art 35 1.4
Sigma 85 1.4

I know both of these lenses may cause a scratch on the body, if not sent in for repair from Sigma.

What I'm more concerned about is compatibility. I've seen that some Sigma lenses cause the K1 to lockup and are essentially rendered useless.

Does anyone have any experience using the K1 with the Sigma 35 art and/or 85 1.4? If so, have you had any issues.

I absolutely adore these lenses so it's vitally important that they function properly.

Thank you!

-Jonny

02-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I had the 35mm art lens on a k-1. Optically it was awesome. Once i got it dialed in using the usb dock, it also autofocused accurately for the most part (low light was hit and miss). In low light conditions, i often relied on focus peaking and magnification if i had the time. But it really shines on a ff camera.
I only sold it because i had a 31mm already.
02-08-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just bought the 35 1.4 Art to accompany my K-1. I'm just starting to build up my FF system. I had some K primes and F zooms I used until I got the 35. The 35 has made me sell all those to save money for more modern lenses. It really felt like this lens has made my K-1 come to life. It is just an outstanding lens. It is a very new copy that arrived at the retailer two weeks ago so it already came with the optimized mount. Didn't have any problems with it locking up my camera and focus is perfectly calibrated.

I haven't used a K-3 extensively enough to be able to compare it to the K-1. But the K-1 is an amazing camera. If you shoot a lot in low light and do large prints, the K-1 will definitely offer some advantages over the K-3. Also for the type of photography you do the K-1 will give you more shallow depth of field to play with. Just remember that your leses will give you a different field of view on the K-1.

Last edited by alpheios; 02-08-2017 at 02:26 AM.
02-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
It's a very personal thing, if the upgrade is worth of the cost. Depends on, how you shoot, what you shoot and how you feel.
I think, based on what you told, the K-1 would be a good choice for you.

I did upgrade from K-3 to K-1 and I would do it again. I am very satisfied. I miss only the faster continuous shooting of K-3 and the possibility to change the focusing screen for the manual focusing.

I'd suggest you to loan or rent the K-1 and give it a try for some time. You'd know very quickly, what to do!

02-08-2017, 02:59 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had my Sigma 35mm Art's mount changed for free, as usual, but to be honest, it was fine and didn't need it being done.

It has never had lockup issues. AFAIK, that's because some copies of Sigma lenses such as the 70-200 came with a dud lens ID in the chip. I suppose a firmware upgrade is done to fix that.
02-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the insightful info, all!

At this point, I'm definitely leaning toward pulling the trigger.

Cheers,

-J