Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Filter storage in the field?

Hello all,

For ages, I've been using a cheap pouch I got on eBay, to keep my filters in when on the road. It holds 6 filters (mine are 77mm) in 3 rows of 2 and folds up nicely. I also keep a lens cloth and a plastic wrench (to remove a stubborn filter from a lens) inside the pouch. It's not too bulky and can be tucked away in all my camera bags (except the smallest). However, in order to access the filters, the whole pouch has to be folded open, which is a bit cumbersome in the field (esp with the loose stuff I keep in there as well). Also, since I went cheap all those years ago, the mesh covering the filters sometimes leaves a slight pattern on the filter glass, which requires cleaning after taking out a filter and before mounting it... Unless I clean the filters every time before I go out...

Needless to say, I'm looking for a better solution.

So, here's my requirements:
- holds 6 77mm sized filters (3 ND, 1 IR, 1 CPL, 1 Didymium (=redhancer))
- holds extra's such as: adapter rings (77mm -> other size), wrench, lens cloth, ...
- allows easy access to individual filters without opening up completely.
- keeps my filters clean so I don't need to clean repeatedly myself.
- practical shape that can easily be stored inside most camera bags
If necessary to keep things from getting too bulky, I would also consider two similar pouches that each hold half.

I'm wondering what forum members use for their filter storage/transport needs?

Tx in advance for your thoughts!!

Wim

02-10-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Wim. I do not have this accessory pouch, but I have other Tamrac products and find them very well made and reasonably priced. I hope these might be what you are looking for. Good luck.

Tamrac ARC Filter Case reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I just ordered 3 of these to try out. I attach safrotto type lens pouches to my shoulder strap on my holster camera bag so I could attach these 1 or 2 as needed for that particular shoot. I hope they work for my particular usage.

2 Slots Neoprene Camera Lens Filter Bag Case Pouch Hook for UV CPL IR 25mm -77mm

Last edited by honey bo bo; 02-10-2017 at 07:29 AM.
02-10-2017, 07:21 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you don't access the filters that often, the most compact solution is to take two spare junk UV filters and screw everything into a stack with the UV filters (and any adapter rings) at both ends. The sacrificial UV filters keep dust, mist, etc. off the rest of the filters. The only hassle is in having to do two unscrewings (and a rescrewing) to get to a filter.

02-10-2017, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
If you don't access the filters that often, the most compact solution is to take two spare junk UV filters and screw everything into a stack with the UV filters (and any adapter rings) at both ends. The sacrificial UV filters keep dust, mist, etc. off the rest of the filters. The only hassle is in having to do two unscrewings (and a rescrewing) to get to a filter.
I've used lens caps instead of junk UV's in the same way. Less screwing when accessing the top or bottom filter of the stack and the caps are more durable. Some of the pinch caps are flexible on the diameter of filter they'll cling to.
02-10-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have one like this

https://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-4BLTPCHLGK-Large-Filter-Filters/dp/B0043RTLNS/...a+filter+pouch
02-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #7

I also use the tri-fold pouch, didn't know the meshing would cause a problem; but what you can do is put a piece of thin cardboard between the mesh and the filter. You can then write on the cardboard, white is great, the type of filter it is. I use the thin cardboard behind the filter, so I can tell what filter it is.

02-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know you are primarily looking for a circular filter solution, but for rectangular filters - which are better for variable ND and the like - you might consider a "rectangular" solution.
I use the Think Tank System, and I use their belt system.
They have a bag called the "App House 8", and it's perfect for storing my LEE filters in their nice wrappers. App House 8 ? Think Tank Photo
Because it's part of the Think Tank System, it's easy to grab the filters on the belt.
I will show a picture later when I get in to the office.

02-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #9

IF you have rectangular filters, like Cokin, I use an inexpensive(dollar store) holder for CD's. Nice size and has a soft pad cloth, if you get the right one, it could close very flat for space.
02-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Hello all,

For ages, I've been using a cheap pouch I got on eBay, to keep my filters in when on the road. It holds 6 filters (mine are 77mm) in 3 rows of 2 and folds up nicely. I also keep a lens cloth and a plastic wrench (to remove a stubborn filter from a lens) inside the pouch. It's not too bulky and can be tucked away in all my camera bags (except the smallest). However, in order to access the filters, the whole pouch has to be folded open, which is a bit cumbersome in the field (esp with the loose stuff I keep in there as well). Also, since I went cheap all those years ago, the mesh covering the filters sometimes leaves a slight pattern on the filter glass, which requires cleaning after taking out a filter and before mounting it... Unless I clean the filters every time before I go out...

Needless to say, I'm looking for a better solution.

So, here's my requirements:
- holds 6 77mm sized filters (3 ND, 1 IR, 1 CPL, 1 Didymium (=redhancer))
- holds extra's such as: adapter rings (77mm -> other size), wrench, lens cloth, ...
- allows easy access to individual filters without opening up completely.
- keeps my filters clean so I don't need to clean repeatedly myself.
- practical shape that can easily be stored inside most camera bags
If necessary to keep things from getting too bulky, I would also consider two similar pouches that each hold half.

I'm wondering what forum members use for their filter storage/transport needs?

Tx in advance for your thoughts!!

Wim
I have a pretty similar set up, and I use a Filter Nest:

MindShift Gear Filter Nest Storage Case 917 B&H Photo Video

It can break out into a smaller case when traveling light, but the larger case works well, as you can snap it around a tripod.
02-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all!! that's a lot of solutions.

I am going to stick with my 77mm screw-in filters. Mainly because these allow me to keep using my hoods, and I have many 77mm size lenses they fit. I have considered a square system (actually I used Cokin for some time when I was starting in photography many decades ago), but since I don't use ND grads and this required getting a generic hood system as well, I decided against it.

Nobody mentioned it, but the MindShift Gear Filter Nest Mini Filter Pouch seems to be the closest to what I am looking for. One for my 3 ND filters, and one for the other three, and the large space in each can hold adapter rings... Thanks for pointing me to Think Tank and Mindshift Gear!!

Thanks for the help!!!

Wim