Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What's your experience with the AA battery magazines that come with battery grips?

POST #1000!

The battery grips on my K-3 II and K-5 both came with AA battery magazines (as Canon calls them). In both cases, the magazine accepts six AA batteries, whether alkaline, lithium primary, or NiMH rechargeable. I've never really used mine because the Li-ion batteries last more than long enough for me, though I have put both alkaline and Eneloop cells in the grip before.

Battery life on alkaline batteries is really bad, with the camera shutting down well before the cells are truly depleted (I've measured 1.3V or more when the camera reports "Battery depleted") but the Eneloops seem to perform reasonably well. On the K-3 II, there is a very slight loss of performance, mainly in screwdrive AF; on the K-5, however, the whole shutter/mirror system slows down noticeably with alkaline batteries resulting in increased shutter lag, increased mirror blackout time, and reduced continuous shooting speeds. Also, a loaded AA mag is hard to insert into the grip, and it adds a lot of weight to the camera body.

What's your experience with the AA battery magazine?

Draco

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-12-2017 at 03:08 PM.
02-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
POST #1000!
Good for you well done.

Oh and I've never used this AA set up.
02-12-2017, 02:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the AA magazine all the time, it's great for astrophotography or any time when I don't know how long I'll be out shooting, as I always have the Li-On magazine as a backup. Alternatively, I can use the Li-On magazine first, and I have some spare Eneloops if I'm working with flash gear.
02-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The battery insert will only fit into the slot if you have the locking tab opened all the way.

02-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The battery insert will only fit into the slot if you have the locking tab opened all the way.
I'm aware of that. It's that the spring contacts are hard to push in while inserting a loaded AA battery magazine. There are as many as four springs that make contact with the batteries inside the grip, so there's going to be quite a bit of resistance.

Draco
02-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

Works well for me.. I use the grip filled with AA Eneloops when I'm out shooting an event and won't have time to swap batteries. It has saved my bacon before.. Though it does add a bit of extra weight to the setup. Better than missing shots..
02-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used AA NiMH in the battery grip for the K-5II and they work very well but do add considerable heft to the camera. Once I purchased a second D-LI90; I used that in the grip instead. It was much lighter and the D-LI90 tray had a slot for an additional memory card (which probably doesn't matter if you have a K-3 or K-3II with dual card slots).

02-17-2017, 03:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree the six AA batteries add a lot more weight. If I am going to be out for an entire day or two I always bring the battery tray. It is my last resort back up if my batteries go dead. I can pretty much stop anywhere and buy some AA batteries. I always will carry six AA Eneloops with me as well. In years past I have had a few times where I depleted both of my batteries without a backup. I only use the rechargeable Eneloops. If you are using the genuine Pentax battery it will last longer. If you are using a third party one like a Wasabi then the Eneloops in the battery tray will last longer. This has been my experience, especially when using a lens that has a built-in motor.
02-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have only used Eneloops in my grips, and they work fine. Alkalines are not only weak and short-lived, but disposing them may be environmentally questionable. (I don't know what issues there are in disposing of Eneloops, but they last a long, long time)

I have never used them in a grip, but I have used the nonrechargeable lithium ultras in the Kx and in the 645p. I don't know the issues in disposing of them, but the power is fantastic, and you don't change constantly. I have taken a 10 day trip with 2,000+ photos on one set in the Kx, and had power to spare when I came home.