Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Variable diopter eyepieces?

I know there are countless fixed diopter correction eyepieces out there for Spotmatic and K/M body era cameras, but does anyone know of an attachment - either Pentax or third-party - that provides variable diopter adjustment?

My everyday driving and general purpose glasses are great for use in uncorrected film cameras, but when I have my reading glasses on and I correct for them with the eyepiece adjustment in my K-5 or *istDS (the latter of which only just manages but still does compensate), things become so much clearer for manual lens work (to the point where I have broken down and ordered a third-party magnifier).

I could of course get one for each pair, but I'd rather have one drop-in thing that I could adjust for general purpose glasses, reading glasses, or occasionally no glasses at all.

In the meantime I shall quiz my optometrist.

02-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Other than the refconverters and older magnifying eyepieces I don't know of any.

You can get adjustable diopter eyeglasses but those won't do you any good if you have astigmatism.
02-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #3

Pentax offered an empty frame diopter attachment (or with blank glass) with the purpose to have your optometrist prepare the matching glass for you. Since it did fit all ME and later eyepieces, it should be fine on any recent digital SLR by Pentax.

You can find them from time to time in online auctions. BTW, if you get one of these diopter attachments with a fixed diopter value glass, you can do the same, just exchange the glass part.

But I don't know whether a solution with changing diopter can be cut. An eyepiece loupe could help,too, they have sometimes diopter adjustment (but do not offer complete viewfinder magnification, only a part of it).

Regards,

Vranx
02-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You DO realize the Pentax view finder itself is a variable diopter device. Try the slider above the eye piece and the manual.

02-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
You DO realize the Pentax view finder itself is a variable diopter device. Try the slider above the eye piece and the manual.
The modern one, yes, but I want something for my film bodies.
02-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahh, in that case . . . I've made corrective inserts for older cameras by cutting and shaping l'il auxiliary lenses from cheap, appropriate power, plastic reading glasses. A fine-cut hacksaw blade, a little patience and a tiny dab of silicon sealer to hold it in place in the VF frame works fine for a semi-permanent fix.

I haven't seen one of the OEM clip-on versions in years and for sale ads are rare.