Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tripod with upside-down center column

Hello everyone!

I need an advice on a tripod center column of which could be inverted upside-down. I have couple of Manfrotto 055 tripods but they can only turn the center column 90 deg and not entirely invert it (at least I don't know any easy fix, hot to accomplish it). So what are my options? It is required for a very low-to-ground macro work. I am not after some fancy and ridiculously priced carbon tripod either - a regular aluminum would be just perfect. Oh...one more preference - it should be smalish when folded.

Second thing - what are some cheaper and reasonably good small tripods (folded) for holding accessories (some light stuff, not camera gear) ?

And thirdly - what do you think of Benro in general? Also it flexes my mind: I have seen some VERY similar looking [to benro g2] low-profile ballheads from sunwayfoto, but they are some 2x more expensive. What is the deal with it? Is one manufacturing plant stumping stuff and others just label it - if so - then maybe there is a cheaper alternative to benro?

Thanks!

02-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a Mefoto A1350 road trip tri pod and it is real easy to flip the center column to get low level shots. I got it on Amazon awhile ago for under a hundred bucks.

I also have a Benro tripod with Benro gimbal head I use for my 560, works great. I was able to get those at B&H used display models and saved a ton of money. If I would have paid full price I would still love them, do a great job.
02-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benro tripod

I looked around for a bit last year for tripods and settled on a Buy Benro GoPlus Travel FGP18A Tripod from CamBuy ? CamBuy Camera Store and a Buy Benro B0 Ball Head from CamBuy Camera Store . Couldn't find many formal reviews online but did find a couple of entries in photographers blogs. Haven't kept links I'm afraid, and prices above are in AUD.

From memory Benro have been manufacturing tripods for better known name brands such as Glanz and Mofrotto for 25 or so years, and have taken over a dose of patents, and also further developed their own process and tripod designs based on these. I think they may still have a patent dispute going with Manfrotto.

Haven't used the tripod I bought too much yet - still working on camera and lenses - but the times I have used it I have found it to be steady and flexible. It also feels sturdy (for lightweight aluminium) and reliable. The centre column does reverse, and will also rotate at any angle and at more than 90 degrees. Folded it is a bit over 40 cm, comes with a reasonable pouch and carry bag, but there is one trick to packing it into these bags with head on.

One comment I picked up from forums and informal reviews was that the pull and twist mechanism for detaching the plate was a bit tricky. Having tried it here at home I can see what they mean - you seem to have to twist, pull, and twist again, and this is hard to do as one fluid movement. I do also think that if I'm doing this often and quickly enough I will adjust, and am not worried.

My use will probably be lighter than a lot of folks here, but I'm confident this tripod will stand me in good stead. I did have one of the cheaper and heavier Manfrottos some years ago, and am finding this so much lighter and handier, and am not that much more worried about steadiness. It also comes with an attachable hook for the base of the centre column that can be used to attach extra weight.

Last edited by rjbrett; 02-16-2017 at 07:10 PM.
02-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madphys Quote
I have couple of Manfrotto 055 tripods but they can only turn the center column 90 deg and not entirely invert it
My 055 can be completely inverted. Not sure if that is all of them or not but AFAIK that is one of the advertised features of the 055.

Just press the little button on the side of the center column, remove it completely by pulling straight up then insert from the bottom again pushing the little button to get it past the various rings.

---------- Post added 02-16-17 at 06:32 PM ----------

Second thing - what are some cheaper and reasonably good small tripods (folded) for holding accessories (some light stuff, not camera gear) ?
I also have a Mefoto as well, two in fact. I have the A1350 and the A0320. Like them both, well made and easy to carry.

02-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello everyone!

I need an advice on a tripod center column of which could be inverted upside-down. I have couple of Manfrotto 055 tripods but they can only turn the center column 90 deg and not entirely invert it
The center column on the 055 is removable and can be inserted upside-down.
My tripod is in the studio, but if I recall correctly, you press the big button in the bottom of the tripod to get it most of the way.
You will then fid a tiny button on the side that you need to press to release the column completely from the neck.

---------- Post added 02-16-17 at 09:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My 055 can be completely inverted. Not sure if that is all of them or not but AFAIK that is one of the advertised features of the 055.
Just press the little button on the side of the center column, remove it completely by pulling straight up then insert from the bottom again pushing the little button to get it past the various rings.[COLOR="Silver"]
hehe, sorry, crossed paths, so to speak.
"what he said".
02-16-2017, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least go have a look at the SLIK CLAMP HEAD 38. This is a device that clamps on a tripod leg, or any bar of up to about 1 1/2 inch diameter, It has a camera mounting platform with standard 1/4 X 20 screw, that tilts and levels, but does not pan (you must rotate the entire tripod to pan). On the platform you can mount 1) your camera if you use the 1/4 X 20 tripod socket directly; 2) a quick-release clamp; or 3) a modest-sized ball head. Advantage: the camera is upright rather than upside down. Disadvantage: it's a little tricky to orient the camera properly if placed directly on the clamp - far easier if a ball head is mounted on the device (awkward to rotate the tripod for panning, easy to do with a ball head).

Alternatively, a Manfrotto multi-purpose clamp could be fitted with a ball head and clamped low on a tripod leg. Disadvantage: the ball head would projecting laterally and slightly upward, an awkward orientation to get the camera pointed exactly as you want. Advantage: the Manfrotto can be clamped on a bar or a flat board. I used one clamped on a little bridge which positioned and held the camera sturdily where I could not position a tripod.

Another alternative is a mini/table-top style tripod with a modest-size ball head. There are many such tiny tripods. Disadvantage: they are very light and do not stabilize well on a surface such a grass nor will they accommodate properly to an uneven or slanted substrate. They really work best on a smooth, flat, level surface such as a table.

There is also the Len Lerue "groofwin" = ground-roof(of car)-window(of car) support. It's sturdy, heavier that a table-top tripod so it's better on some surfaces, it can also be used to mount a camera on a car window/door if you're using a vehicle as a blind. Disadvantage: it's expensive and bulky to include in your take-along kit.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-16-2017 at 08:31 PM.
02-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I have the Sirui EN-2004. The following is a quote from its description on how it is capable of low angle or macro shots. Also below is a shortcut to the tripod offered on Amazon. There is also a smaller similar version, the SiruiT-1005X. Its product page shortcut is below also. I use the Sirui K-20X ballhead which is rated for 55 lbs..

"By unscrewing the hanging hook from the bottom of the center column, the column separates and the short center column remains on the tripod, ready to take macro or low angle shots or you can invert the center column and shoot from underneath the tripod."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKHRRFG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-T-1005X-5-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B004WY7TL8/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1487306385&sr=1-1&keywords=t-1005

Last edited by C_Jones; 02-16-2017 at 09:47 PM.
02-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My 055 can be completely inverted. Not sure if that is all of them or not but AFAIK that is one of the advertised features of the 055. Just press the little button on the side of the center column, remove it completely by pulling straight up then insert from the bottom again pushing the little button to get it past the various rings.
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
The center column on the 055 is removable and can be inserted upside-down.
They are correct. My 055CXPro3 (a discontinued model) can rotate the center column horizontally, but if I pull the column all the way out while pressing the button it can be put back in upside-down.

Another option I have to get low is press the levers at the top of each leg to spread the tripod as wide as possible, then use the horizontal column. That only works with flat ground.
02-17-2017, 01:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Out of interest, doesn't this then leave the camera upside down? Or is there a trick to keep the camera right way up even though maybe offset to one side of the centre column?
02-17-2017, 01:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you looked at Benbo tripods (not to be confused with "Benro")?
My wife has a Benbo Trekker. It is amazingly flexible in configuration.

Chris
02-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I use FotoPro, and all of its 3 legs can do vertical 180 rotation. It also have a center column weight hook unit which can be removed. I can simply remove the hook and stick the ball head there. Check out your tripod if it can do that?
02-17-2017, 02:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just press the little button on the side of the center column,
My 055X has a button in the center of the base on the central column that makes that button retract and allows you to take the central column out completely. You can jam your fingers in the tripod mechanism doing it the way you described - which can really hurt!

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-17-2017 at 02:17 AM.
02-17-2017, 03:10 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Advantage: the camera is upright rather than upside down
Thanks for the tips - I might look into some of them, but I have thought out everything. I need an inverted column with ballhead attached + the ball-head must be arca-swiss compatible. In such case I can use something like this

to get my camera upright again + the ballhead will give me the freedom of motion.

Regarding 055...I have an older one and the new model - Haven't checked the old one, but the new one is not meant for the inversion operation - it is not easy to do - yes I can remove the center column, but to get it back in - not an eay (on the fly) task. Plus the 055 is a bit too heavy and bulky.
02-17-2017, 03:19 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Velbon Sherpa can invert centre rod - but does put camera upside down but you can turn the head tilt function back to get the camera pointing straight down. Remote shutter and rear screen focussing become useful with this arrangement. I set up this way sometimes if I am doing a lot of printed image copying
02-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Out of interest, doesn't this then leave the camera upside down? Or is there a trick to keep the camera right way up even though maybe offset to one side of the centre column?
Yes it does. (camera remains upside down)
The camera might get confused about the rotation info. Regardless, it a simple post processing fix.