Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2017, 05:03 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
No - camera does not remain upside down if you use couple of accessories.
In action it can be seen in this video:
Pilze als Kunstwerke fotografieren! - YouTube

02-17-2017, 07:04 AM   #17

The Manfrotto 056 3-D Junior has 180° on front and lateral tilt allowing you to flip the camera over. Not Arca Swiss plate though. I used to have the bigger version of this that they no longer make but someone broke into the trunk of my car and stole the tripod and head.

Manfrotto 056 3-D Junior Pan/Tilt Head 056 B&H Photo Video
02-17-2017, 07:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
...Alternatively, a Manfrotto multi-purpose clamp could be fitted with a ball head and clamped low on a tripod leg. Disadvantage: the ball head would projecting laterally and slightly upward, an awkward orientation to get the camera pointed exactly as you want. Advantage: the Manfrotto can be clamped on a bar or a flat board. I used one clamped on a little bridge which positioned and held the camera sturdily where I could not position a tripod...
all of these ideas are good but this is the one I've used the longest...Manfrotto 155 Double Ball Joint Head with Camera Platform and heavy and it works
02-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #19
Veteran Member

You may also want to consider the Vanguard Alta Pro 263ab SBH100. I have been using this robust, well made tripod for 3 years in all kinds of conditions. There is a youtube review by Matt Granger here:

02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have the Sirui EN-2004. The following is a quote from its description on how it is capable of low angle or macro shots. Also below is a shortcut to the tripod offered on Amazon. There is also a smaller similar version, the SiruiT-1005X. Its product page shortcut is below also. I use the Sirui K-20X ballhead which is rated for 55 lbs..

"By unscrewing the hanging hook from the bottom of the center column, the column separates and the short center column remains on the tripod, ready to take macro or low angle shots or you can invert the center column and shoot from underneath the tripod."

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKHRRFG/ref=olp_product_details?tag=pen...20&ie=UTF8&me=

https://www.amazon.com/Sirui-T-1005X-5-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B004WY7TL8...eywords=t-1005
I've got the M-3004X with K-10x Ball Head and it works brilliantly. It allowed me left me much more dry and made it easier to get this shot:

Last edited by jab2980; 02-17-2017 at 10:11 AM.
02-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have You looked at the Vanguard Alta Pro 263 AT?

http://www.vanguardworld.us/photo_video_us/alta-pro-263at.html
02-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't mind old school bomb proof construction, you can invert the center column on Tiltall tripods.

02-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #23
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Have you looked at Benbo tripods
+1, beat me to it.

Benbo Clasic No 2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you looked at Benbo tripods (not to be confused with "Benro")?
My wife has a Benbo Trekker. It is amazingly flexible in configuration.

Chris
I have a Benbo Trekker. The only caution is to be VERY careful when loosening the clamp, since that undoes everything except the center column slide. I've used it for a "selfie" on a 60 degree slope with a K10D + grip + DA* 16-50 mounted. Held fine. Three different leg lengths and really weird angles, but I don't know of anything else that would have held the camera there.
02-18-2017, 06:26 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is what I use

This is my normal usage of the A* 400mm f2.8 , a Bogan 3033 tripod with the Monfretto 393 head. The need for a lower mount arose and this is what you can do with this head. It is heavy, difficult to use until you get use to it, but it works. No center column adjustment this way, adjust the camera height above ground with the legs.The 393 head screws directly on to the top or bottom of the column with no adaptors needed. Please excuse the poor quality of the photos, they were taken for illustration purposes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
02-18-2017, 09:42 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I could never consider owning any "Benro" product.
The name is a blatant rip-off of Benbo.
It's just too similar to be a coincidence.
I hope Benbo sued their pants off!

Chris
02-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #27
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
FWIW I could never consider owning any "Benro" product. The name is a blatant rip-off of Benbo. It's just too similar to be a coincidence. I hope Benbo sued their pants off! Chris
Due to the unique way the legs and column lock, i.e. one bent bolt, which is where I believe is where the name comes from BENt BOlt. Originally based on a early machine gun tripod mounting from WW1.
02-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Due to the unique way the legs and column lock, i.e. one bent bolt, which is where I believe is where the name comes from BENt BOlt. Originally based on a early machine gun tripod mounting from WW1.

@OP: Go to BH Photo or Adorama's webstores and search on "reversible column" to get a list of choices.
03-01-2017, 04:24 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Manfrotto multi-purpose clamp could be fitted with a ball head and clamped low on a tripod leg
+1. Manfrotto super-clamps Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp with Standard Stud 035RL B&H Photo are very handy.
I use one with a 1" ball RAM mount RAM Mounts - Mobile Mounting Solutions that has very good articulation. Not many things that this combo can not do.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a MeFOTO DayTrip Tripod that can get really low with excellent stability. I also have a Manfrotto Super Clamp with a small ball head attached which can be handy if you have something to attach it to. I have used my large Induro tipod with the center column reversed, but I used the camera upside down, or in portrait orientation.. If you really want to go light, use a beanbag, that can be very effective, cheap, and lightweight.