Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

A simple keyring inserted in the slotted lug on the camera may provide enough clearance to give your old
strap the free movement you need. Not sure what diameter would work best, probably 1/2" or so, but it
would be easy enough to experiment to your taste. Minimal addition and very likely you have spare rings
sitting around in a junk drawer somewhere.

edit: Or what dcshooter suggested.

02-20-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
I'm wondering what the pros and cons are for a neck strap versus one of these hand strap things?
I can highly recommend Gordy's. A bit more expensive but they have hand-made quality.

gordy's camera straps

I have also used OP-TECH, which are great.
02-20-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for Peak Design.
02-20-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

image of the spottie with lucky strap

02-20-2017, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
image of the spottie with lucky strap

Nice!!
02-20-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you. I see from the image, and looking at the camera, I need to clean the outside of the camera, maybe get some armourall onto the leatherette
02-20-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

I played around with various neck straps as well as a hand strap (the Pentax version) What worked best for be was two Domke gripper straps with swivel. one is the 1 inch wide version, the other is the 1.5 inch wide version. They are instantly interchangeable, I use the 1 inch version for small lenses like DA 21, 40 and 70 Limiteds and switch to the 1.5 inch wide for bigger lenses such as 55-300 PLM zoom or DA* 200, or if I just want a different color or look. Both together cost less than $40 USD and once you mount one on the camera you can just swap then with the swivel connectors. I prefer a neck strap to a hand strap since with the neck strap it hangs safely when not shooting but with the hand strap you either need to keep holding it when not shooting or keep taking it in and out of the camera bag.

02-21-2017, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I would also give Peak Design +1. They have a hand strap called Clutch Clutch Camera Hand Strap | Peak Design that can be used together with the Slide strap
02-21-2017, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I like my set up, YMMV

I use the following

1 - Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate

attaches at the tripod mount and has a quick release plate for tripod/monopod and attaches at the right side attachment point

only downside it attaches at the bottom with a hex (Allen) wrench and I get no royalties

2 - Optech USA Utility Strap

attaches at the right side attachment point, I wear it hanging off my right hip

3 - Joby Camera Safety Tether

attaches at the left side attachment point and then I attach it to the sling or another "safety" poiint

I use this because I have the big guy the HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW (Weight 2000 g (70.5 oz.) by itself
02-21-2017, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Peak Design Slide - and I use the lugs, not the tripod mount for my Slide...
Another +1 for Peak Design.
02-22-2017, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

I do like hand straps but I use holsters as a primary carry method

the problem with slots instead rings is the inability to rotate as the body shifts
binoculars use slots as well
here are links to two inexpensive options to provide a ring attachment....
Horn Hunter Bino Keepers : Cabela's

Vortex Strap connector for Harness Straps - SET - Optics4Birding

I modded my old tarmac straps to work with slotted bodies but found that nylon straps frayed too quickly
so I purchase some polyester webbing...that has proven more durable

you can use leather or heavy plastic to make a similar connector as the two I linked to

one last thing...some of the slots are relatively soft and wear quickly with just a ring attached directly to them
so, personally, I would avoid that method

good luck
02-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
..the problem with slots instead rings is the inability to rotate as the body shifts. binoculars use slots as well ... one last thing...some of the slots are relatively soft and wear quickly with just a ring attached directly to them so, personally, I would avoid that method. good luck
Yup, I bought a similar strap set to relieve the wear mentioned above on my slots (and extend my strap a wee bit). I'll compare to the wrist strap I also bought (that has a 2.5 lb limit).

Not ruling out the Peak Design but starting with less expensive options.

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 02-22-2017 at 06:44 PM.
02-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Easier solution: Keep the groovy strap and buy some triangular "D" split rings and put them through the slots. Attach the clips to the split rings to those instead of directly through the slot.
Hybrid solution incorporating the BosTails I mentioned and the Optech Hand Strap mentioned by photolady95, plus creative use of red electrical tape. Strap was also (sloppily) restitched by local shoe repair shop, since the fabric and the suede underneath was separated for most of the length of the strap. I spent an hour last night digging out the old stitches.

Purpose of red masking tape on edge of leather is unknown, I've had this thing 30 years and I don't *think* there is a rip or funny edge under it, but it hurts nothing so I'm leaving it. The rubber or plastic tubes have teeth marks in them from one of my late beloved kitties, so those stay as well.

This way I can let the strap hang freely (no more bent rigid connections that get in the way of a vertical shoot) when using the hand strap, I get about 3 more inches of strap on each side which puts if further down on my hip which is nice, and if I have a lens that makes the whole thing weigh more than 2.5 lbs (limit of the OpTech) I just put the strap around my neck.

It was nice and educational heading (and seeing) all the suggestions, but in the end I caved to sentimentality (with some practical improvements) over a high tech solution.

I am happy! Cheers!
Attached Images

02-22-2017, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

my spotmatic came with a similar strap and an original pentax-branded one

I put the pentax strap on the camera and the flamboyant strap on my banjo
I saw today someone is selling a pentax strap as a banjo strap

I must be ahead of the curve

i'm glad you made it all work