Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2017, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cable release options

I miss the mechanical cable release feature and the ability to use a really looong pneumatic release.

My solution's to use 8-32 thread nuts epoxied to the camera top as an anchor point for various DIY brackets -- one for the cable release is a section of aluminum U-channel with the top arm extending over the shutter button.

Another holds a curved fiber optic cable in place over the front IR window when the camera's not within line-of-sight. Nuts may also be glued to the flash shoe protector if that's more convenient or cosmetically acceptable. Use your imagination.

I'm experimenting with using threaded shutter release buttons from older film cameras attached in place over the current smooth buttons.
Bracket adapter anchor points - 8-32 nuts

Also, note the small rubber grommets on the shutter button (and other places not shown). My finger tips have become numb owing to nerve damage and this helps locate flush controls. A larger grommet around focus/aperture rings helps on occasion too.

02-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Neat, simple idea. Could you post some pictures of the brackets?
02-20-2017, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Later -- I'm not 'co-located" with 'em at the moment. Here's the general idea for the cable release.

Can be easily made from various sizes of plastic or aluminum U-channel, cut up plastic bottles or bent-to-fit from metal scraps. A paper punch may be enough to make holes in thin metal. Crimped edges can stiffen thin metal.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 02-20-2017 at 10:30 AM.
02-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought one for a Lumix LX5.

Kiwifotos CR-LX5 Mechanical Cable Release Adapter for: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Works well.
Update:can still be found eg on ebay, JJC is one marque.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-20-2017 at 12:59 PM.
02-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, neat-o, but . . .

"Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

I imagine the need to custom "print" for each camera dimension plus the small market conspires to defeat this sort of accessory.
02-20-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good candidate for 3D printing ? The flash mount part would be standard and then two dimensions to locate the shutter button.