Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Advice on larg backpack requested please

I've read the sticky on camera bag reviews, but have not found the information I am seeking - perhaps someone else can advise from their personal experience, please ?

I'm looking for a rucksack or back pack (essential, as all weight must be evenly distributed as I suffer from mobility issues) that will take :

K10d body with grip; K20d body with grip; two WR kit lenses 18-55; Ring flash; Pentax Af280T flash; Sigma 10-20 zoom; Sigma 28-105 zoom; Sigma 50-200 zoom; Sigma 70-300 zoom; Sigma 105mm macro;
Cokin-P filter system, batteries, spare SDHC cards and other misc small items.

Now the important part : I need to be able to attach a Benbo tripod safely to the outside, and here's the rub - as I invariably travel by public transport, the tripod needs to be held in such a fashion that it neither swings around and hits other bus and train users, nor projects in such a fashion that it could catch on anything close, such as clothing, children, pets etc.

I do not need room for a laptop, drinks, sandwiches or any other non-photographic items

It may seem that there is considerable overlap in this setup - but I am carrying for two ! Need I say more. At least she carries the sandwiches.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I shall be most grateful.

Tony

02-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could look at the lowepro flipside 400 or 500. The 400 takes two bodies and various lenses. I have attached a tripod, but now don't, so can't say whether it will be right for you. One aspect that is great about this bag as the camera(s)/lenses stay safe as the bag cannot be opened when on your back. To get into it, you slip off the shoulder straps and rotate the bag around your waist. Then it acts as a useful platform for lens changes etc. Weather proof cover too.
02-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this may help...Best Camera Backpack Tripod System That Make Sense

I hate backpacks and find I have three of them...?
my problem usually is I don't like the awkward tripod carrying solutions
I have sewn straps on the bottom of two of my packs to hold a light tripod
on my last trip I actually carried a travel tripod in the pack

the flipside is a good bag
my last purchase was the 300 (it could not accommodate the amount of gear you want to carry)
it's comfy and balances well with a load

one thing I have done is use a tripod as a walking stick(s)

good luck to you
02-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second Barry's suggestion..the flipside is excellent

02-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
You could look at the lowepro flipside 400 or 500. The 400 takes two bodies and various lenses. I have attached a tripod, but now don't, so can't say whether it will be right for you. One aspect that is great about this bag as the camera(s)/lenses stay safe as the bag cannot be opened when on your back. To get into it, you slip off the shoulder straps and rotate the bag around your waist. Then it acts as a useful platform for lens changes etc. Weather proof cover too.
I recently picked this Flipside 400 and I like it YMMV

Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Pro DSLR Camera Backpack

the main compartment is accessed through the back and you can twist it around in front of you while the waist band supports the bag, at least that is the idea, I haven't tried it

as pictured it has a 5 lenses including the big guy - the Pentax 150 - 450 zoom and a K 5 II with room for more including my K 3. There is a tripod attachment for the front and it has a chest band as well as a waist band which really helps with weight distribution.

Lowepro Flipside 400 AW Pro DSLR Camera Backpack - PentaxForums.com
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-23-2017 at 11:37 AM.
02-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I quite like the Peak Design 30L Backpack,

Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L First Impressions ? Peacock Photography
02-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
Forum Member

I've had this one for years, for the price you can't beat it. Plus it doesn't scream I have a photographers backpack, I'm probably worth a lot of money if you grab me and run.

amazon.com : AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR/DSLR Cameras and Accessories - Black : Photographic Equipment Bags : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

02-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think it's the Benbo that will always be the fly in the ointment--I dearly love my Uni-loc 1700, but it's an ungainly, slippery beast, and the thick "knuckle" of the "bent bolt" itself means that it won't stow away as well as a traditional tripod. That said, I did have some luck with a padded tripod case that was strapped to the side of a military-style pack via "Molle" attachments, but as you might expect, the entire package might call attention to itself whilst on public transportation.
02-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My grateful thanks, as ever, to all respondents - I have looked into many of your kind suggestions, but unfortunately the stumbling block is price - many of them cost more than the cameras !
I shall continue to use the second hand Lowepro I currently have - everything just goes in, with a bit of judicious 'doubling-up'. As CreationBear points out, the 'pod is the stumbling block, but
unfortunately with my mobility issues (physical as well as transportational !) I need it to reach places where I cannot easily go myself.
02-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Here is a website with user product reviews that you can search by bag type. Many reviews include pictures. The By Size drop down menu lets you search for backpacks with two bodies.

Camera Bags Reviews Homepage - Cambags

Tim
02-24-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much for this one too, Tim
02-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I need it to reach places where I cannot easily go myself.

Ha, they're definitely a great design--if you haven't already, you might check out the 90-degree joint that's sold as an accessory, which will give you even more flexibility. (There's one on UK eBay right now, I believe.)
02-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go lowepro

I swear by the top series of lowepro,mwithin adjustable suspension. I have a lowepro phototrekker and it is great for have loads with a fully adjustable harness .

Comfort in carrying your load is everything.
02-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

You could try one of the CLik Elite bags

Escape 2.0 by Clik Elite | A pack to carry a full day's adventure.
Pro Express 2.0 by Clik Elite | The ultimate travel photo bag.

The Express does have a laptop storrage place, but I personally use it for the filters.
Both have a good attachment for your tripod. The escape needs a trick for it not to swing-around. But it works perfectly. Both should fit all your gear easy.
02-25-2017, 03:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Macario, but again out of my price range, I'm afraid. Current solution is my second-hand Lowepro, and other items stuffed in pockets of a cheap photographer-style vest, tripod on shoulder strap.