Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Tair 3 photosnaiper

Hi!

I've got a nice deal on this lens in Sweden but I dont want to use the photosnaiper, just a tripod. Is it possible to use it this way without any configurations? And how well does it work on a cropped sensor camera?

If i put this thread in the wrong place then please move it for me!


//Caro

02-25-2017, 04:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Audi 5 cyl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 363
QuoteOriginally posted by Caro Quote
Hi!

I've got a nice deal on this lens in Sweden but I dont want to use the photosnaiper, just a tripod. Is it possible to use it this way without any configurations? And how well does it work on a cropped sensor camera?

If i put this thread in the wrong place then please move it for me!


//Caro
It is a great lens for the price. It can be used on tripod without issues (You'll actually need an accessory, a 1/4in to 3/8in Tripod Converter, but that's it). On a cropped sensor camera it has a field of view of a 450 mm FF lens and I find it sharp enough. Using hood is a necessity if the contrast is important to you. If you find a deeper hood than the original one, it won't harm. Focusing system is a bit of an oddity but once you get used to it, it is quite nice and precise.

Please take a look at the dedicated review page for this lens for more details TAIR-3S 300mm F4.5 - Fotosniper 12 ensemble Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
02-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Wales
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,556
Hi Caro, welcome to this forum.

This post:

Any experience on Photosniper Russian Tair-3 Phs 300mm f/4.5 - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

has a diagram of the tair. The attachment point for the stock is a 3/8"th tripod thread. This is easily changed to the more common 1/4" thread with a cheap adapter like this one:

1/4" to 3/8" Metal Camera Tripod Monopod Screw Adapter Bushing Thread JS | eBay

(You may want an adapter that doesn't have a rim on it, so that it is flush with the surface of the 3/8" hole when screwed in. These are available too, you just have to look.)
02-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunny Dun(ny)fermline, Fife
Posts: 405
I had a Sniper kit but always used it on a tripod; convinced someone would report the camera and stock as a firearm

03-04-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Audi 5 cyl Quote
It is a great lens for the price. It can be used on tripod without issues (You'll actually need an accessory, a 1/4in to 3/8in Tripod Converter, but that's it). On a cropped sensor camera it has a field of view of a 450 mm FF lens and I find it sharp enough. Using hood is a necessity if the contrast is important to you. If you find a deeper hood than the original one, it won't harm. Focusing system is a bit of an oddity but once you get used to it, it is quite nice and precise.

Please take a look at the dedicated review page for this lens for more details TAIR-3S 300mm F4.5 - Fotosniper 12 ensemble Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Wow, lots of information. Thank you!


QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Hi Caro, welcome to this forum.
Thank you. Watching your links.


QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
I had a Sniper kit but always used it on a tripod; convinced someone would report the camera and stock as a firearm
Hahah, exactly my thought! Also it seems like a lot work just to make it work properly on the DSLR. But perhaps I can use the photosnaiper, only without using the the automatic trigger?

So ive ordered this lens now, and also got a Helios 44-2. Both in mint condition. Going to use this lens mainly for bird photography and cant wait until it arrives. If you have any more ideas of cool things I can do with this lens, please let me know

---------- Post added 03-04-17 at 07:20 AM ----------

Actually I got one more question. Its quite a heavy lens and im also searching for a new tripod and tripod head. How much maximum weight should these accessories be able to handle in order to reduce wobble and blur? Is 6-8kg maximum weight enough for the tripod?

Last edited by Caro; 03-04-2017 at 07:21 AM.
03-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Audi 5 cyl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 363
QuoteOriginally posted by Caro Quote
Also it seems like a lot work just to make it work properly on the DSLR. But perhaps I can use the photosnaiper, only without using the the automatic trigger?
For the ease of use, I advise you to use the flanged m42 to pk adapter and adjust infinity focus by moving the name ring for 0.7 mm or so. Also, at some point in history, pk adapters that would completely replace the m42 mount (unscrewing the three screws and replacing it) were available online from Italian seller on ebay. Maybe they still are but my very fast search just now, did not give any results. Either solution will give you a more stable and secure use of your lens, as the non-flanged adapters can get wobbly with such a heavy lens.

About automatic trigger, there are two solutions, both of which require slight modification to the photosnaiper. First easy solution is to take a cable trigger and install it so that it is activated by the photosnaiper trigger, and the other one is to take a wireless trigger, install it so that it is activated by the photosnaiper trigger and take the diode out (extend the diode connectors by wires) and put it where the camera sees it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, hood, lens, review, tripod, weight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tair-3 Phs - cleaning rear elementsS BigMackCam Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 02-21-2017 03:16 PM
Any experience on Photosniper Russian Tair-3 Phs 300mm f/4.5 hinman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 104 01-13-2014 03:25 AM
Just Scored a Tair-3! Colorado CJ Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 40 03-22-2013 10:15 AM
Night Orion Nebula with the Tair 3 Colorado CJ Post Your Photos! 14 03-08-2012 03:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top