Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 03:04 AM   #1

Is this a good deal for this tripod?

I found this Velbon cx-540 tripod on craigslist for $5: CAMERA STAND. It's missing the quick release plate. Is this worth it, considering it's in good shape?

03-01-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Without the plate it is worthless.

I had a velbon aluminium tripod a while ago and they are ok but not great. But a good bit of advice is this....if you want a tripod then save up and get the best you can afford, and it will last a lifetime. Going down the cheap option route will only be a disappointment. A tripod needs to be solid and sturdy....that inevitably means heavy. No point buying a lightweight one... sure you can tie it to your bag and carry it everywhere, very convenient, but will it support your kit when you need it to in a strong wind ?

The best ones are carbon fibre, but they are pricey.
03-01-2017, 04:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

I had a velbon aluminium tripod a while ago and they are ok but not great. But a good bit of advice is this....if you want a tripod then save up and get the best you can afford, and it will last a lifetime. Going down the cheap option route will only be a disappointment. A tripod needs to be solid and sturdy....that inevitably means heavy. No point buying a lightweight one... sure you can tie it to your bag and carry it everywhere, very convenient, but will it support your kit when you need it to in a strong wind ?

This.

but I would also consider aluminium.
03-01-2017, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Ultra-sturdy - Benbo (or equivalent).
Ultra-heavy - Benbo !

03-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Vicioustuna2012 Quote
I found this Velbon cx-540 tripod on craigslist for $5: CAMERA STAND. It's missing the quick release plate. Is this worth it, considering it's in good shape?
I have a Velvon CX-680. I bought it new 25+ years ago, and it has not missed a beat. Both Adorama and B&H sell various Velbon quick release plates for around $9-10, so that is not an issue.. It is a lightweight tripod, so not for heavy, long lenses. There are quite a few for sale on eBay.
03-01-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although Velbon is a well known brand name, that looks like one of those supermarket/walmart etc cheap alu tripods: lightweight, flimsy, shaky, fixed plastic pan and tilt head. I have seen replacement QR plates on ebay which might fit. Could be sufficient for a one off occasion: bit of video-ing for s/o facebook page with a p&s at a kiddies party, then into the shed until xmas party..
But if you want a tripod, for photography, then its near worthless even at the low price.
Browse eg ebay, there are always lots of decent s/h tripods listed. Google tripods, there are lots of advisory and review pages.
03-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Although Velbon is a well known brand name, that looks like one of those supermarket/walmart etc cheap alu tripods: lightweight, flimsy, shaky, fixed plastic pan and tilt head.
I agree. There are good Velbon tripods, but this isn't one of them. If you think you'll be using it a lot, then it's worth investing in a decent tripod. That doesn't mean you have to spend a LOT of money, but you'll probably have to spend at least $50 or so.

03-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Getting a replacement quick release plate will be harder than you think. The size and shape of those things changed quite a bit over the years (depending on which factory actually made the thing), and finding the exact fit is harder than you'd think.

Those Velbon tripods are a far cry from the ones that founded the brand's reputation years before. They're really too flimsy and wobbly for any DSLR work, and the styrene type plastics in the leg locks and head mechanism are prone to cracking and breaking - especially in sub-zero weather.

Save yourself some aggravation and hold out for a used Manfrotto.
03-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Totally agree here. From someone else's recommendation, I bought 8 of this exact same model new for my video class and regret it. The plastic leg extension flip locks break easily and although Velbon has sent me replacement parts to fix it, it is really cheap, a hassle, and I am without a working tripod until the parts arrive.

As brands go, SLIK and B&H's Oben are the value leaders if you just can't afford anything above their price category.