Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 05:42 AM   #1

Bean Bag Camera Support,....Suggestions?

Hi Folks,

I've suffered a leg injury and can't walk, but I have a little hobble to get me back and forth in the house. My Dr. says this could be a 4-6mo ordeal.
So, I can't take my daily 1 1/2 mile photo hike through the parks. I miss that.

Fortunately, there are several nearby marshes where I can shoot from the car. My wife drives and I shoot from the right passenger seat, using a Sony a77ii with a 500mm lens. As soon as I can find a long lens for my K-70, i'll use it also.

Thanks to high shutter speed and good IS, I'm usually "getting the shot". However, it's awkward and I'd like to have some solid support.

I'm thinking of a bean bag, like this one on Amazon:

amazon.com : Grizzly Camera Bean Bag (Medium-Blue), Photography Bean Bag, Video Bean Bag, Camera Support, Camera Sandbag, Camera Beanbag, Spotting Scope Support : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Can anyone recommend a bag like this, or another option? What did you fill it with, seeds, corn, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jack

03-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a nice drawstring cloth bag around the house. Filler a "ziplock" bag with rice and stuffed it in the cloth bag and it works great. Also a decent emergency meal if needed. Stole my wife's sticky pad designed to keep her cell phone from rolling around in her car and carry it in my camera bag. Works great on flat surfaces, and also provides a little extra padding in the bag.
03-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #3

You can take an old athletic sock and fill it with any sort of grain or beans and sew it shut, and any other holes that might be there. If you have a bean bag chair you could always take a few handful of the plastic "beans" from there.

Or if you want to spend money and get fancy there is the Eckla Eagle Car Door Camera support. Gimbal or tripod head not included.
03-01-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
.Thanks for any suggestions!
If you want something more permanent, bean bags are easy to make, even if you have rudimentary sewing skills, like me.

Google

03-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
For quickness of going from one place to another, I've ruled out the clamp on type adjustable units, and will try a bean bag.

This looks like a good choice. It must be new, Amazon has no reviews yet. They do have reviews on other products by the company,....all quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH0I2LD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?tag=penta...A2P91R9M2YH6D2

If anyone uses a bean bag like this, I'd be interested in what you filled it with.

Thanks!

Jack
03-01-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Setter Dog Quote
For quickness of going from one place to another, I've ruled out the clamp on type adjustable units, and will try a bean bag.

This looks like a good choice. It must be new, Amazon has no reviews yet. They do have reviews on other products by the company,....all quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NH0I2LD/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?tag=penta...A2P91R9M2YH6D2

If anyone uses a bean bag like this, I'd be interested in what you filled it with.

Thanks!

Jack
I use a similar design and have almost four pounds of rice in zip-lock bags inserted in the shell

a coyote hunter I know uses the same design you posted for his spotting scope
the advantage seems to be that inverted and placed on a bench or table the saddle should support a long lens as well
03-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

I've always liked the Pod (The Pod The Green Pod Camera Platform GR0079 B&H Photo Video) because it attaches to the camera and doesn't add much bulk. BTW, how do you like the Sony A77ii?

03-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I hope this information may be helpful to you, this is the one I use.

I know it's not in the US, but they do ship worldwide... double bag design and size, made from a waterproof material and for me what's really important is it's weight, these are all things that you might want to consider, when you come to get yours.

I searched long and hard before I came up with my ideal bag, I use it for both my “Duchess” (Pentax-A* 300mm F4.0) and "HM The Queen" (SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5).

Large Double True Timber HTC

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-01-2017 at 03:55 PM.
03-01-2017, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pool noodle

Mia McPherson posted a blog item about using a pool noodle.

Make My Photo Noodle – Mia McPherson's On The Wing Photography

Sorry about your injury, Jack.

Best wishes.

Last edited by smf; 03-01-2017 at 02:46 PM. Reason: add information
03-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Best wishes for a quick recovery. Alternatives to a beanbag include:

A small neck pillow, like some people use for air and train travel. Functionally similar to a beanbag, just mentioning it because you might have better luck finding it locally if you'd rather not shop online.

A small gorillapod tripod. It can't stand up with a heavy camera and lens, but in this case you'll use it to straddle the car door. Stick one leg outside the window, two inside. It attaches to the camera so no risk of it falling out of the car during use like what might happen with a beanbag (unless you drop the entire camera, but that's why we use straps).
03-02-2017, 03:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
I've always liked the Pod (The Pod The Green Pod Camera Platform GR0079 B&H Photo Video) because it attaches to the camera and doesn't add much bulk. BTW, how do you like the Sony A77ii?
I really like the a7ii. It has lots of nice features, fast burst, top LCD, many function buttons etc.

I also like my K-70 very much. I have a preference for EVF, however, and like to take an occasional video clip. The a77ii has a great EVF and takes excellent video.

Thanks to all for responses to my beanbag question. I've got one picked out and will order it today.

Jack
03-07-2017, 09:39 PM - 1 Like   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let us know which one, and how you like it, after you use it!
03-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Let us know which one, and how you like it, after you use it!
I could tell you about mine...
03-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We're waiting..................
03-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
We're waiting..................
Only if you insist... that is.