Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PH-RBC 62mm - missing view cover

Bought an awesome 18-135 lens here on the Marketplace and I just love it, but seller advised me that the petal hood's "view" hole cover was missing. No big deal at the time, but now I'd like to do something about it. I don't care to buy a new one for $49 so I wonder how I can jerry rig the one I have? When mounted it is on the bottom of the lens, so overhead light is not an issue. I considered electrical tape but I'd have to tape both sides (as to not leave a sticky underside that dust and bugs will adhere to).

Any ideas? Or am I worrying too much? How often might I run into a case where the bottom hole needs to be covered?

03-01-2017, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With all due respect, you're worrying too much. The hood is designed to be effective with that little filter window open, so you can adjust a CPL filter if fitted. It'll work fine with the window open. Note that hoods for rangefinder cameras often have great big slots cut out of them to give the rangefinder a clear view of the subject. They still work fine too
03-01-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With all due respect, you're worrying too much. The hood is designed to be effective with that little filter window open, so you can adjust a CPL filter if fitted. It'll work fine with the window open. Note that hoods for rangefinder cameras often have great big slots cut out of them to give the rangefinder a clear view of the subject. They still work fine too
Ok, I worried that I worried too much. Thanks, will leave it alone!
03-01-2017, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could use some electrical or gaffers tape to solve the issue.

Edit: sorry, just noticed you already suggested that!

---------- Post added 03-01-17 at 11:57 AM ----------

You could do something clever with tape - cut one piece the size of the hole. Cut a second longer piece. Stick the hole length piece against the longer piece to create an area that isn't sticky. Then tape the longer piece over the opening, so there's no need to tape it from the other side.

03-01-2017, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Thank you for clearing up the purpose of that removable plate - I'd always wondered.