Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Under $100 for all that gear? I'll buy a few too

08-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I just ordered a Velocity 7x. To me, what distinguished it from the other bags I was looking at is it's Modular Accessory System (MAS), which allows you to attach various pouches and cases to the side of the bag. This comes in handy if you want to carry a little more than usual, but don't want to carry a larger bag. The Velocity series bags (except for the 5x) have the capability of holding up to 2 pouches/cases.

Tamrac - Modular Accessory System
The MAS system includes lens cases, flash cases, a filter case, a water bottle holder, and a couple of general accessory pouches, among other things.

With that, I also have the Tamrac Expedition 4 backpack for when I want to carry everything and it also has places on it where I can attach various MAS pouches, so the MAS pouches will work with both bags.

HTH,
Heather
08-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #18

Here is the pic with the reorganized dividers as promised..

08-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Another satisfied slingshot owner here. I just unclip the hip belt, slide the bag around to the front so the double zippered compartment is facing up. BTW I got rid of all the internal dividers and store my lenses in Adorama "slingers" or the lowepro lens cases. The great thing about that is a)the bag actually holds more b)the lenses are better protected c) I never lose the rear cap as it goes back into the case, and d) if I find myself frequently changing between 2 or three lenses I can then attach the cases to the hipbelt with the velcro fasteners on the cases. That way a frequently used lens is quick to hand. The biggest down side is that there is an extra zipper to play with and it takes a bit longer to change out an infrequently used lens.

NaCl(the lowepro "salty system" )H2O
Are these the bags your talking about?

B1010P Adorama Slinger Soft Lens Case Small, 5" High x 86mm Diameter, Black.

08-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
Yep, come in sm (the one you linked) med and lg. The catalogue shot doesn't show it but there are veclro straps on the back of the case to attach to belt/bandloeer. I've been known to drop a cased lens a time or two with no damage to the lens. I also have a few lowepro ones:
19541S10 Lowepro Lens Case 1S, 3.5" high x 3.0" diameter, Black.
that come in greater variety of sizes, but are more expensive. As a system it works well for me.

NaCl(I do look a bit nerdy with 3 cases or so clipped to the hip belt but at 59 I don't care)H2O
08-09-2008, 08:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

+1 for Slingshot AW200

For the kit you describe this bag works and as with other users a bit of assertive baffle reorganisation adds to usability -I seldom change lenses from off the ground with this setup.
The long lens and flash unit can be removed easily and less used lenses are deeper in the bag. Tokina ATX840 even fits but I think that is a special case for this lens length.
Stubbie holders work as small lens holders as well in this set up as shown (but not to attach to the belt, Salty).
08-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm now using a Crumpler 750 Daily XXL, bought in May 2008, after many years (like 30) with Lowepro Pro 35 (like earlier version of Magnum or Stealth Reporter).

The Crumpler is much deeper (vertically) and this is the reason I changed, to be able to keep long lenses mounted onto camera bodies ready for instant use.

So far I've been a really happy bunny and it's used all day and every day.

08-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. You sold me on using my AW200 with all my gear. Now any suggestions then on a bag for the days when I will only need to bring 3 lens w/Super & 55-300.
08-12-2008, 04:10 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I often carry about that many lenses or less in the AW200. It does for me all day and is not heavy and is out of my way. Sounds like you may be really keen to get a bag cos new gear is fun - try the crumpler million dollar range as they look fun and don't look like camera bags.
08-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have the LowePro 200 AW Slingshot and I find it raises concern with security at museums were a shoulder bag doesn't. A few museums have a no backpack rule, and in more than a few times, there has been hesitation in letting me carry the Sling bag. I have always gotten in, but now carry a shoulder bag for more urban travel to avoid the hassle.

I find I can get the same amount of gear into the Tamrac Messenger 4 as the Sling. I like the lower profile of the black version after removing the tags. I went a step further and colored the gray darker with a black permanent marker. It is more a charcoal now. I bought the bag with an on line discount at CircuitCity for US $36. Seems like the price is around US $50 now. I think I would buy the Tamrac Messenger 5 if I bought today. I find the piggy back slot very convenient for travel.

I looked at the Crumpler 6 Million Dollar Home before buying the Tamrac. In the end, I just wanted to spend less money on a bag and more on other things.

You might want to take a look at this site as it has a nice assortment of bag reviews with lots of photos of the bags in use.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-26-2008 at 09:17 PM. Reason: spelling
08-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I got my new Tamrac Velocity 7 today and did a test run to see how much gear I could get into it and I think it's going to work very well. I got my K10D with Tammy 28-75 attached, the DA55-300, the A50, and the Sunpak 383 flash into it. Tomorrow, I'll be getting the DA12-24, so that will most likely go in the place of the flash, or the 55-300, depending on where I'm going. If I want to take all 3 zooms, plus the flash, then I would see about getting the flash case that's a part of the MAS system, which would simply attach to one side of the bag. It's got a nice, slim profile which will help it stay out of the way when I'm moving around.

There's a butterfly garden in my area that I like to go to periodically that won't let anybody take in any camera bag at all. In that case, I have an regular size LLBean Touring Travel bag (Touring Travel Bag: Shoulder Bags and Packs at L.L.Bean) that I use, which will hold camera and a couple of lenses, plus other personal effects. It doesn't look like a camera bag, so if you don't know what I have in there, you would assume it's a handbag and nothing more.

On the subject of museums, my husband and I went to the Florida Holocaust Museum in St. Petersburg and they wouldn't allow me to take my camera in, never mind use it.

As for the Lowepro Slingshot bag, the main reason I didn't consider it is that I think it's ugly. I'm not an extremely vain person as far as what I carry my camera around in, but I have my limits.

Heather
08-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
I ended up getting the Lowepro Nova 2 AW because it was the biggest bag that I saw and I was in a rush at that time, plus I needed something to protect a Canon AE1 w/50mm lens and flash that a friend sold to me for $10. There wasn't much of any choices for bags at the stores I visited in Anchorage, I did see some Tamrac Velocity bags but no Crumplers. After getting home I found out that it can hold my K100DS w/55-300 mounted along with my 3 manual lenses with room to spare for at least one more lens, so I'm happy with it.
Thanks again.
08-26-2008, 04:04 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Here’s updated thoughts to my earlier posting on this thread for you, after many years using a Lowepro Pro35 (like the Magnum), I recently changed in May this year to a Crumpler 750 daily xxl.

It’s in use every day and so far seems tough enough to do the job. Importantly it differs from the Lowepro in the following ways;

It allows me quick access (no fiddly zips to open) to 2 bodies fitted with longish lenses and hoods already mounted, stored vertically within the bag for instant use, plus umpteen other lenses, flashguns and all the other stuff we all lug about “just in case”.

It’s secured with 2 buckle clips, which can be left unsecured because there are also 2 large squares of the loudest Velcro imaginable holding down the main flap (great security unless of course you’re hard of hearing, even then it takes a fair tug to part the Velcro which you really would notice if someone tried it on).

IMHO it certainly looks less camera bag like, compared to some, and certainly attracts less attention. Maybe because of the colour choice I have, which is described as warm grey/ grey black, which really means sort of beige ish.
08-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #29
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I already have the AW 200, how do you change lenses without taking it off? Seems like my extra lenses would fall out if I tried it.
Are the Crumplers padded throughout pretty well?
If I can, I sit down so I can rest it on my lap. Sometimes I rest it on something else. Sometimes I crouch down and rest it on my lap. If I have to do it standing with no other support, I just hold onto the flap and pull up as I unzip it, the bag comes level and I support it with my other arm leaving the first arm to take the lens out.
08-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #30
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I have the LowePro 200 AW Slingshot and I find it raises concern with security at museums were a shoulder bag doesn't. A few museums have a no backpack rule, and in more than a few times, there has been hesitation in letting me carry the Sling bag. I have always gotten in, but now carry a shoulder bag for more urban travel to avoid the hassle.

Thank you
Russell
I find the slingshot 200 is quite comfy as a shoulder bag for short periods.