Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #1

Questions Pentax 3/21 Exposure Meter

Hi folks, I've looked around the forums and the web and I cannot seem to find out much about this meter.Do any of you have more specific knowledge of it? When it was made? It's uses. Does it have any use for a modern digital photographer? It needs new batteries but is otherwise in remarkable shape. Does it have any value? Anything you could tell me would be appreciated.Thank you.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-08-2017, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
James's Light Meter Collection: Honeywell Pentax 3/21 Spot Meter
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dschneller/manuals/PentaxSpot321.html (linked in the one above also)
03-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks UncleVanya that's boat loads of information, it's much appreciated. I'm still wondering if it would be of any use nowadays or if it's something I should put in the Marketplace for collectors of these accessories.
03-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cardinal15 Quote
Thanks UncleVanya that's boat loads of information, it's much appreciated. I'm still wondering if it would be of any use nowadays or if it's something I should put in the Marketplace for collectors of these accessories.
Reading the article it seems like a nice unit with good ergonomics and relevant to those who enjoy using a spot meter. The biggest issue seems to be one of the batteries being hard to replace.

---------- Post added 03-09-17 at 12:39 AM ----------

Upon further reading a px23 can replace the difficult 5.6v and the 412 battery isn't hard to find.

03-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the meter reads 'reasonably' compared to a known good meter it's "usable". But be prepared to spend a lot of time calibrating it to match the meter results you're accustomed to with your TTL metering cameras.

A quick check is to meter the out-of-focus northern sky with your TTL spot meter and your other unit(s) and compare the results. Also expect there will be gradual changes as batteries age and possibly even with temperature change.

Some types of meters are more sensitive to 'light' outside the visual spectrum which isn't a problem when incorporated into a calibrated system but can give inexplicably different results than expected.

Also keep in mind that a spot meter can be a real PITA unless the light and the subject are relatively constant.
03-09-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Cardinal,
I refurbished one in 2013 including re-designed electronics.
Vintage Spot Meter Refurbish | APUG.ORG