Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Abundance of rarely used filters - what to keep and start using?

Through a number of purchases for camera bodies, I've ended up with a collection of filters I haven't used much. I have a bunch of Tri-X and TMAX, but everything else is color, mostly Portra 400.

I see several other threads on filters, but there's more talk about digital than film. I'm specifically talking film here. What's worth keeping in the colored filters? Preferred brands?

49mm:
Soligor:
X-1 (yellow/green)
85B
25A
80B
K2
ND8 49mm

Tiffen, Hoya and Vivitar 49mm CPL (this is one filter that makes its way onto the lenses when attached to digital)

Pentax:
25S close-up
YG

Hoya:
2x25A 49mm
X1 49mm (much darker than the Soligor X-1)
K2 49mm

Skylight filters for nearly every 49mm lens I have which are a variety of Pentax, Hoya, Jessop, Soligor and Vivitar.

Hoya:
+2 close up 52mm
X1 52mm
1B Skylight 67mm

52-49 adapter
49-52 adapter

03-12-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I use my ND8 all the time. Haven't played with other filters. David Hancock (a Pentax guy ) has YouTube video series on different kinds of film and one of the things he talks about is using filters with different films. Pretty cool, actually. He shows different graphs to show what kind of filters should be used for for what effect
03-12-2017, 05:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
80B and 85B are color-balancing filters for use with chrome/slide film.
1B is also color balancing, intended to reduce a bluish cast when there's a lot of sky. It is commonly used as a lens protector with digital, because it also slightly increases contrast of distant elements, such as mountains on the horizon.
X1, K2 and Y-G filters are for use on B&W. The general rule is, such a filter darkens the complimentary color in B&W. For example, a K2 (yellow) darkens a blue sky, and was perhaps the most widely used filter in the film era for B&W film because it tended to bring out the clouds. Orange and red filters darkened a blue sky more creating dramatic contrast with white clouds.
ND filters are used to get longer shutter speeds, perhaps most commonly to get blurred flowing water in a picture of a waterfall or stream. They are perhaps the most popular must-have filter for photographers using digital.
the 52mm +2 close-up lens is just that. When attached to any lens that is set to infinity, regardless of lens' focal length, the focus distance becomes one-half meter. It's a simple one-element design (some close-up lenses are achromatic 2-element) and is OK for use on a normal FL lens.
The Pentax 25S close-up filter was intended for use on a specific lens, but I'm not sure which one. If it is very small (25mm thread) it was probably made for a lens used on their 110 SLR,
03-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the "25S" is actually the S25 close-up, then it is meant to be used with a 50mm lens, providing a magnification of better than 1:3.

03-13-2017, 03:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If the "25S" is actually the S25 close-up, then it is meant to be used with a 50mm lens, providing a magnification of better than 1:3.
You are correct (I think). The "S25" came in several standard Pentax thread sizes (49 & 52mm). I think it was the later version of the "No. 1" in my collection, purchased way back for the 50mm f1.4 on my Spotmatic (still have the camera, lens, and No. 1).
03-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Without digging them bag out, that sounds right and it is a 49mm.