Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I appreciate your thorough description. Are you still enjoying your experience with the S2 in general? Also photographically?

04-27-2017, 04:06 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wissink Quote
I appreciate your thorough description. Are you still enjoying your experience with the S2 in general? Also photographically?
Yeh the tablet is fine, I don't feel qualified to really rate it, I use my tablets probably in a relatively low capacity, not pushing he hardware far etc, but for what I use it for it's fine.

Where things go wrong is actually on the app development side. Because it's resolution is SO high, things like Instagram (which is stretched out side to side with no way to minimise the images), they become stretched and therefore pixelated. It's funny how the desktop webpage browsing instagram works differently, the image may pop out, but is never stretched, however app side it does, and they need to address that if the trend for high PPI is becoming more the norm.

But I really wanted the tablet for various non photo stuff too, such as reading, and I find the size of screen and weight to be perfect in this regard. I've owned a few tablets, ipads (9inch), windows (rt, 10 inch) and windows 8 (7 inch), and for me windows misses the mark. Their tablets are generally too heavy for comfortable sofa reading, after awhile the hands get tired etc. I think 8 inch is the magic number for a tablet, the happiest medium.

FWIW I think the K-1 has been getting some new firmware and talk of the app side of things like Image Sync to be updated and improved, I'll write back here if that's the case.

For now, if using a tablet with photography in mind and in conjunction with a pentax camera then u prolly could save yourself a buck or two by shooting for a lower specced device. One day I will actually put my very best photos on to the S2 and view via gallery etc (rather than online), this would be to showcase my work to potential clients, in this regard I think beating the S2 will be very hard to do, but if this is not the case then you might prefer a lower specced model.
03-13-2018, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two third-party apps for the K-1 available - one for android and the other for Windows. And the html-based app from Ricoh.
03-13-2018, 12:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
There are two third-party apps for the K-1 available - one for android and the other for Windows. And the html-based app from Ricoh.
Do you know what the names/links of the other third party apps are? I know one guy here developed an app for iOS and Android, curious what the other ones you are referring to are.

03-13-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Alternative choice for Ricoh Image Sync App - Pentax Photo Sync - PentaxForums.com
My Pentax wifi remote software - PentaxForums.com
Ricoh Image Sync v1.1.0 app supports K-1 - PentaxForums.com

And the 4th will be the Image Sync 2.0 app by Ricoh.
Image Sync 2.0 - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 04-01-2018 at 08:10 AM.
04-01-2018, 08:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Which kind of solution did you choose?
04-01-2018, 02:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Which kind of solution did you choose?
To be honest I hardly use my phone or tablet for controlling the camera much, just a cheap wireless controller for now. The software installed that I use is the official Image Sync app.

04-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

There are eight solutions to control the K-1:
PC Desktop tethering K-1 via WLAN works well - PentaxForums.com
04-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Travelled with my ipad and would have been better leaving it at home. Wasn't compatible with hotel wifi in Japan - would see networks but not connect.
Copying photos to the device using the apple sd card adapter took forever and it only recognised jpegs.

After a week, I just left it in a family member's place and bought an extra large SD card for backups.
My opinion - either use a phone or a computer. Tablet is just for browsing the internet at home on the couch.
I own an iPad Mini I and iPad Pro 10.5. I always shoot raw and none of these tablets had problems with import of raw files via apples lightning2USB adapter plus fitting USB cable connected to the K-5 or K-1.

I use my tablet (sometimes with apple keyboard) for a lot of things. On last year holidays I used the Affinity Photo App on the iPad Pro and it worked surprisingly well and faster than the corresponding Mac App on my Mac Mini Late 2012! Writing using the App iA Writer is a pleasure. Ever tried Textastic on the iPad? - A very capable programming editor with a lot of advanced functionality. Notion is another great solution for writing Music in classical notation. Especially if you use an Apple Pencil to write the score.

Just wanted to present another opinion about the usefulness of tablets and there‘s a lot more to discover ...
04-30-2018, 01:10 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I own an iPad Mini I and iPad Pro 10.5. I always shoot raw and none of these tablets had problems with import of raw files via apples lightning2USB adapter plus fitting USB cable connected to the K-5 or K-1.

I use my tablet (sometimes with apple keyboard) for a lot of things. On last year holidays I used the Affinity Photo App on the iPad Pro and it worked surprisingly well and faster than the corresponding Mac App on my Mac Mini Late 2012! Writing using the App iA Writer is a pleasure. Ever tried Textastic on the iPad? - A very capable programming editor with a lot of advanced functionality. Notion is another great solution for writing Music in classical notation. Especially if you use an Apple Pencil to write the score.

Just wanted to present another opinion about the usefulness of tablets and there‘s a lot more to discover ...
I too discovered how good my recently acquired LG G5 with it's USB Type C 3.0 port was performing, I wrote about it elsewhere but seems fit to c/p the info here;

"Update:

So my new handset arrived this week and I've had a chance to do some preliminary testing. A quick recap; I was in the market for a new phone, I decided I needed the following features;

1) Android (as Apple will be too expensive for me)
2) Expandable storage (therefore another reason it won't be Apple)
3) USB Type C (paying strict attention it is a USB Type C with 3.0 or 3.1 and not less)
4) Has the necessary LTE Frequency Bands for my area of Australia (and where I specifically live) as I may be purchasing abroad.

I ended up grabbing the LG G5 from B&H, it was $249 at the time I bought it a couple weeks ago, it is now $209, bargain if you ask me. (I was also grabbing some other smaller photography equipment supplies so this also motivated to buy from them).

In addition to the handset I bought a $5 USB Type C 3.0 OTG cable.

This morning I did a quick test. I ejected a 64gb card from my K-1, that had only 6.9gb worth of DNG files on it. The SD Card was a Sandisk Extreme Pro card, the 95mb/s ones you typically see.

Into the SD Card reader it went and I connected everything up and did a copy. The stock file transfer app did not give a speed indicatior, but the time it took was around 2mins 50secs, I calculated this to being around 45mb/sec dl speed. I'm really happy with that, sometimes that's about as good as my full on gaming rig desktop PC manages!

A nice surprise was that the stock Gallery app can see and render DNG files, so checking was easy.

Anyway, just thought I'd give the feedback. I have yet to test with a micro sd card inside the phone, this was a copy just straight onto the 15gb left remaining space on the actual handset. I can see things slowing down going to the micro sd card..."