Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Joby/Other Tripod compatability

This might seem like another daft question but I'll ask anyway... So.. I have a Joby Gorilla Pod, quite fond of it, and I leave the part of the tripod that screws into the bottom permanently attached (to my K-50), so that I can quickly click it to the tripod when necessary.
However... I'm also in the market to buy a proper tripod as well (not a Joby style one), and I'm wondering if any other manufacturers have the pod compatible with Joby, so that I can leave the piece permanently attached to the camera and simply click and release between the two pods (such as Joby & Manfrotto).

I'm betting the answer is no, that each company does it different (like bloody propietry usb cables etc!)... just my luck, having to constantly unscrew the attachment everything I wanna use a different pod (and one more thing to lose...).

Cheers,

Bruce

03-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think you are in luck because I believe Joby uses Arca-Swiss compatible plates and clamps, which is a universal system. At least I know they do on some of their things, because I use an Arca compatible Joby Ultra Plate for a few purposes. So double-check that, and make sure anything you buy is Arca-Swiss compatible. (Don't buy Manfrotto things -- they use a proprietary system.) Arca-Swiss plates use the dovetail system that clamps in -- there are a million compatible options...
03-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think you are in luck because I believe Joby uses Arca-Swiss compatible plates and clamps, which is a universal system. At least I know they do on some of their things, because I use an Arca compatible Joby Ultra Plate for a few purposes. So double-check that, and make sure anything you buy is Arca-Swiss compatible. (Don't buy Manfrotto things -- they use a proprietary system.) Arca-Swiss plates use the dovetail system that clamps in -- there are a million compatible options...
Fantastic news!
03-16-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a Joby, a Arca P0/sunwayfoto clamp and the Peak Design clip. Interchangeable for hte most part. Though i havent' tried the joby plate in the Peak Design clip

03-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #5

The cute little ballhead that came with my GorillaPod SLR-Zoom is decidedly NOT compatible with any other quick release plate I have seen.

Joby does make ArcaSwiss compatible heads though. The GorillaPod Focus appears to come with one, "Ballhead X."

You can always take the head off your GorillaPod and use a more compatible head.
03-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Manfrotto's 'Top Lock' system is Arca Swiss compatible. There are also numerous posts across a number of Forums regarding converting Manfrotto 'pods to Arca Swiss, including using the Sunwayfoto MAC-14 converter which allows use of Manfrotto 200PL and Arca Swiss plates.

Last edited by JohnX; 03-17-2017 at 01:53 AM.
03-17-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lplade Quote
The cute little ballhead that came with my GorillaPod SLR-Zoom is decidedly NOT compatible with any other quick release plate I have seen.

Joby does make ArcaSwiss compatible heads though. The GorillaPod Focus appears to come with one, "Ballhead X."

You can always take the head off your GorillaPod and use a more compatible head.
I think thats what's causing my confusion because that is the Joby pod that I have, and it seems unique to that pod only. I searched that Focus one and yeh yer right, looks to be the ArcaSwiss version.

So yer saying just buy the Ballhead X part from Joby and that should screw ok onto the SLR Zoom? (will have to look into that. EDIT: this video pretty much confirms it
)

Or buy another head (perhaps cheaper) that will work for the SLZ Zoom as well as ArcaSwiss compatible tripods?

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Manfrotto's 'Top Lock' system is Arca Swiss compatible. There are also numerous posts across a number of Forums regarding converting Manfrotto 'pods to Arca Swiss, including using the Sunwayfoto MAC-14 converter which allows use of Manfrotto 200PL and Arca Swiss plates.
Ah.. good to know.

Ebay (in my country) still are running a 20% off on techsites, and this includes tripods, so I was wondering if I should also strike now and get a better tripod.
These are my choices; camera-accessories products in Cameras | Tech Sale | eBay Events

03-18-2017, 05:45 PM   #8

If you are going to get a different ballhead, I don't see any reason you need to stick with the Joby brand. Ballheads pretty universally attach to legs with a 3/8"-16 screw.

I just point it out because Joby does indeed make a GorillaPod with an ArcaSwiss head.

ArcaSwiss quick release plates are as close as there is to a "standard" for quick release plates. Other heads all seem to use their own slightly different quick release plates. I have, for instance, bought a couple of the plates for my specific Dolica ballhead, and keep the plates attached to different devices.

If that's an application that appeals to you, looking at ArcaSwiss type systems is the way to go, and makes sense as a long-term gear investment.

See this:
What is Arca-Swiss Quick Release System?

If you buy yourself a nice tripod now and it comes with an ArcaSwiss type head, you can always swipe it and mount it on your GorillaPod!
03-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The only universal mount would be ARCA type.
Any other connection will cause compatibility trouble in the long run as you see right now.
03-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lplade Quote
If you are going to get a different ballhead, I don't see any reason you need to stick with the Joby brand. Ballheads pretty universally attach to legs with a 3/8"-16 screw.

I just point it out because Joby does indeed make a GorillaPod with an ArcaSwiss head.

ArcaSwiss quick release plates are as close as there is to a "standard" for quick release plates. Other heads all seem to use their own slightly different quick release plates. I have, for instance, bought a couple of the plates for my specific Dolica ballhead, and keep the plates attached to different devices.

If that's an application that appeals to you, looking at ArcaSwiss type systems is the way to go, and makes sense as a long-term gear investment.

See this:
What is Arca-Swiss Quick Release System?

If you buy yourself a nice tripod now and it comes with an ArcaSwiss type head, you can always swipe it and mount it on your GorillaPod!
Yes, that's what I was thinking. I also wondered if there was a cheaper ballhead that could be permanently mounted to my Gorilla Pod, just for ease of use, the Joby Ballhead X is $90AUD! Perhaps there's no getting around it...
04-01-2017, 12:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So i ended up getting this; https://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-XC525-Blue-Tripod-Head/dp/B008M7R83K?tag=pentaxforums-20&

It's arca swiss, ball head and panning ability, travel and i can take the whole ball head + clamp off and put on my Joby Gorilla Pod SLR Zoom if I wish.
04-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I think thats what's causing my confusion because that is the Joby pod that I have, and it seems unique to that pod only. I searched that Focus one and yeh yer right, looks to be the ArcaSwiss version.

So yer saying just buy the Ballhead X part from Joby and that should screw ok onto the SLR Zoom? (will have to look into that. EDIT: this video pretty much confirms it . . .
For what it is worth:

I can also confirm that you can remove the original ballhead, with its slightly triangular shaped plate and install the Ballhead X instead. I do that.

the only problem I have encountered is the camera and lens I then attached to the gorilla pod. I use a K 3 and a K 5 and if I put a heavy lens on them the tripod may not be able to hold them steady.

you just have to be aware of the possible problem and do some testing on your own. It is not related to the ballhead x but the tripod itself.

the gorillia pod has its advantages but also its limitations.

I also use the Joby Ballhead X on my monopod as well. It adds a couple of inches of height which I find helpful.
04-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
For what it is worth:

I can also confirm that you can remove the original ballhead, with its slightly triangular shaped plate and install the Ballhead X instead. I do that.

the only problem I have encountered is the camera and lens I then attached to the gorilla pod. I use a K 3 and a K 5 and if I put a heavy lens on them the tripod may not be able to hold them steady.

you just have to be aware of the possible problem and do some testing on your own. It is not related to the ballhead x but the tripod itself.

the gorillia pod has its advantages but also its limitations.

I also use the Joby Ballhead X on my monopod as well. It adds a couple of inches of height which I find helpful.
Yes I was finding that myself, even with the K-50 and the 100mm 2.8 WR FDA lens (which has a bit of weight to it).

The new tripod will actually be accompanying me out for most outings etc, I will plan to use the Joby SLR Zoom for more table top shots and in this regard you can kinda spread the legs out more and get a firmer stability in doing so.

I'm wondering now if I can find a (cheaper) ballhead + arcaswiss clamp on ebay that will screw onto it instead of continually unscrewing that part off my new tripod. I'm not going to pay $100AUD for the Ballhead X part, it's too much for my specific uses.
04-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yes I was finding that myself, even with the K-50 and the 100mm 2.8 WR FDA lens (which has a bit of weight to it).

The new tripod will actually be accompanying me out for most outings etc, I will plan to use the Joby SLR Zoom for more table top shots and in this regard you can kinda spread the legs out more and get a firmer stability in doing so.

I'm wondering now if I can find a (cheaper) ballhead + arcaswiss clamp on ebay that will screw onto it instead of continually unscrewing that part off my new tripod. I'm not going to pay $100AUD for the Ballhead X part, it's too much for my specific uses.
First, I am no expert YMMV

no idea about an affordable ball head especially in Australia I don't know if the Joby ball head X is out of line cost wise or not.

I got 2 of these - joby ultrafit handstrap with ultra plate - for the K 3 and K 5.

Camera Hand Strap | Ultra Fit Hand Strap With Ultra Plate

it gives me a nice hand grip and acra-swiss compatible plate that I can leave on the cameras. So I can quickly mount either camera to a tripod or monopod which has a compatible ball head. I also have a swiss compatible plate on my large telephoto lens as well.

Since I use a battery grip for each camera, I have easy access to a battery although the one in the camera body can only be accessed by removing the battery grip.

I hope this is helpful to you
04-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
First, I am no expert YMMV

no idea about an affordable ball head especially in Australia I don't know if the Joby ball head X is out of line cost wise or not.

I got 2 of these - joby ultrafit handstrap with ultra plate - for the K 3 and K 5.

Camera Hand Strap | Ultra Fit Hand Strap With Ultra Plate

it gives me a nice hand grip and acra-swiss compatible plate that I can leave on the cameras. So I can quickly mount either camera to a tripod or monopod which has a compatible ball head. I also have a swiss compatible plate on my large telephoto lens as well.

Since I use a battery grip for each camera, I have easy access to a battery although the one in the camera body can only be accessed by removing the battery grip.

I hope this is helpful to you
Ah, thanks Aslyfox, I have however grabbed a L Plate for the K-1 and made a small mod for it so that the universal L plate (MPU 100) fits pretty well. The part I am wondering if exists is this section;

Sunwayfoto Ball Head FB-36II Arca Swiss Compatible Max Payload 18kg/39.7 lbs | eBay

But it seems as tho Joby's Ballhead X for $100AUD IS actually the cheapest around... just goes to show what I know...

Hmm... I paid $300AUD for the Promaster XC525 (overpriced but I like to support local camera stores), it's ballhead section fits my Joby pod, I wonder... could I seek just the ballhead part of that tripod (ie like a replacement part order) for less than $100AUD? Must find out...