Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera Holster

I have a Pentax K-1 (and K-3) with battery grips. They can be quite heavy when walking around for hours, so I'm looking for a camera holster to support the camera better than having it around my neck, which has caused me some pain, literally (and visits to the chiropractor). I'd like to find something that I cause use when traveling and maybe connect another lens to instead of carrying my bag everywhere too such as on hikes. I'm traveling to Europe in June and want to get something now to get used to it. Any suggestions??

03-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have four
a very old tarmac..body and two smallish lenses or a 55-300
a clik that I use for a k3 with a tamron 70-200 (hood reversed)
a large kinesis that holds a body and a sigma 150-500 (hood reversed) or the 70-200 da300 with hood attached
a think tank 50 v2.0 holds a body and the same assortment of larger lenses

the kinesis and think tank will handle my k3s with a grip

all the holsters are well made and have taken a lot of abuse

I have four brands because I buy them on sale or clearance

a lot of folks like the lowepro holsters

good luck
03-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for you

Is your camera hanging straight down from your neck or is it cross the shoulder and hanging near the opposite hip

I use a sling hanging across my left shoulder and hanging off my right hip and I have a hand grip as well.

the cross body method, for me, takes a lot of the weight off of the neck and onto the stronger shoulder

It allows me to use the hand grip to take all or some of the weight off the shoulder when I need a rest.

I also will cradle the camera and lens in my arms to change up the weight

All of these techniques helps me carry my K 3 + battery grip and the Pentax 150 - 450 mm zoom

The sling would allow another camera but I don't think my body would

It is an op/tech usa utility sling, the hand grip is a joby ultrafit hand strap with ultra plate

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2017 at 10:39 AM.
03-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I appreciate the replies. Typically my camera hangs off my neck, and I'm also packing a camera backpack bag. I need to manage the weight and also secure the camera.

03-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bpcarlson Quote
I appreciate the replies. Typically my camera hangs off my neck, and I'm also packing a camera backpack bag. I need to manage the weight and also secure the camera.
to each his/her own

only you know what is best for you

FYI

I put my back pack on first and then sling my camera and lens over my shoulder so I can carry the back pack and sling. when I don't need the whole gear, I use a smaller camera bag for extra lenses and filters etc and do the same, the camera bag slung over one shoulder cross body and the camera and lens over the opposite shoulder
03-22-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

How about the SpiderPro system?
Spider Camera Holster SpiderPro Single Camera System 100 B&H

03-23-2017, 05:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My two suggestions would be to either use s sling strap, or an attachment like the Peak Design Capture clip (or sturdier Capture Pro). It works amazingly well.

03-23-2017, 05:50 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am experimenting with a method to keep my set up from swinging at the hip.

since the hand strap and the utility sling both attach to the same side of the DSLR, it leaves the other attachment in the other side of the camera free. I have run a Joby Tether Camera for Pro Sling Strap

Joby Camera Tether for Pro Sling Strap, Charcoal JB01307

from the other attachment point. This allows me to tether the camera to another support point such as a belt loop restrict the swing

the problem is that in order to use the DSLR, I have to unhook that from the belt loop.

so if I am bothered by too much swing I just restrain it with my hand (especially since I often wear sweats or shorts without belt loops)

of course, any parachute cord + hook could be used for the same idea you don't have to use the joby product if you don't want to pay for it.

I have also secured it to the sling so I have a back up if the sling attachment fails
03-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cotton Carrier has two holsters that might fill your need. The 1st is the CCS EV-1 that attaches to the backpack strap.

CCS EV-1 StrapShot Holster, Cotton Carrier StrapShot - Cotton - Camera Carrying Systems

The 2nd is the CCS Endeavor hip holster.

CCS Endeavor Holster, Camera Holster System - Cotton - Camera Carrying Systems
03-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I am experimenting with a method to keep my set up from swinging at the hip.

since the hand strap and the utility sling both attach to the same side of the DSLR, it leaves the other attachment in the other side of the camera free. I have run a Joby Tether Camera for Pro Sling Strap

Joby Camera Tether for Pro Sling Strap, Charcoal JB01307

from the other attachment point. This allows me to tether the camera to another support point such as a belt loop restrict the swing

the problem is that in order to use the DSLR, I have to unhook that from the belt loop.

so if I am bothered by too much swing I just restrain it with my hand (especially since I often wear sweats or shorts without belt loops)

of course, any parachute cord + hook could be used for the same idea you don't have to use the joby product if you don't want to pay for it.

I have also secured it to the sling so I have a back up if the sling attachment fails
I'll repeat the advice I wrote above. Get a Capture Clip, maybe with the ProPad to keep it more stable.
03-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I considered this for event photography, however the major drawback with this type of system is that it can/will pull your pants down... especially for those who don't have a small/flat belly. I use a Peak Design clip that I attach to my backpack strap for hiking when I'm not using my tripod. For events, I'm using a HoldFast CameraSwagg strap system.
03-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
. . it can/will pull your pants down... especially for those who don't have a small/flat belly. . . .

sounds like you know me way too well

question for those who use something other than a sling

I can understand that a clip system whether attached to a belt or a back pack strap would be helpful but I wonder how it works with a DSLR and a large lens??

what is the largest lens you folks feel comfortable using with your clip system???

I am not only talking weight but physical size as well.

I am looking for "real life" experience in hope that will help the OP and others.

I can carry my K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

without much of a problem but you certainly don't forget that it is there

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-23-2017 at 12:27 PM.
03-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
what is the largest lens you folks feel comfortable using with your clip system???

I am not only talking weight but physical size as well.

I am looking for "real life" experience in hope that will help the OP and others.

I can carry my K 3 + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear Converter

without much of a problem
Well, a 150-450 hung on a belt clip is asking for trouble. These systems are better suited for small to medium lenses.

With medium lenses (my largest lens is the 60-250), I attach the lens via its tripod foot. That's true whether I use the Capture Clip or a sling strap. Both the Capture Clip and the Peak Design Slide strap are rated for 200 pounds, the same holds for the Op/tech I used before. Holding the system by the lens makes more sense.

However, for larger lenses such as the 70-200 or 150-450 I don't think the Capture clip would be a good match. Those lenses are just too cumbersome. Using a sling would work (but would not be comfortable with the 150-450, by experience that one should live on a monopod).

The Capture Clip is meant for traveling light, not exactly for carrying the 150-450...
03-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am using the Cotton holtster with my K-5 and this is the best accessories I ever bought
This is the one I use not the one above
CCS Wanderer Holster, Cotton Carrier Side Holster - Cotton - Camera Carrying Systems
03-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most interesting and informative thread!

I am looking for an "add-on" clip/holster to take the weight down from carrying my gear (cross-wise) around my neck/shoulders.
Some great suggestions here.

Cheers!