Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 10:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have either this one, or an earlier model with similar features:

Maha MH-C401FS-DC Battery Charger - Batteries | Thomas Distributing

It charges each battery individually, so you don't get undercharging as you would if it charges in pairs or fours. And it has a fast and slow mode, for either quick charging or increased longevity of the batteries.

04-01-2017, 06:16 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
In 2007 I bought my first serious smart charger, the La Crosse BC-9009 AlphaPower Battery Charger (was replaced with the BC1000) and it served me well for many years, actually I still use it from time to time.

A few years later I bought the MAHA Powerex MH-C9000 and while more expensive than the La Crosse, the build quality is also better. It soon replaced my La Crosse as my daily charger.

In January of last year I bought the Ambient Weather BC-2000 and while not up to par with the MAHA construction quality, it was also a lot cheaper than the MAHA and very easy to use and very precise. So this became my day to day charger and I moved the MAHA to my office.

Unfortunately the Ambient Weather BC-2000 is not currently available in AMAZON USA and I believe that the model has been replaced, but there is another very good charger and very similar to the BC-2000, the OPUS BT-C2400..here is the link on amazon :
amazon.com: BT-C2400 Battery Charger Analyzer Tester for AA AAA NiMH NiCd rechargeable batteries: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

If you are on a budget and need a good charger then the Opus is a great option, but if price is not a problem, then you can't go wrong with the MAHA.

And remember, heat is the worst enemy of your batteries so if you want them to last then always charge them at a normal rate and only use fast charging on an emergency or better yet, don't use fast charging.

Best of luck !
04-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have used the Maha 8 battery charger since buying the istDS new! Always works perfectly with the Eneloops. The reconditioning cycle is great for older batteries.

Thanks
barondla
04-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Found a Canadian distributor but VERRRY expensive:
MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger - Modern Outpost
and this one:
Vancouver Battery Corp - Canada's Retail & Wholesale Batteries Store, Rechargeable Batteries & Chargers
(also expensive but given the value of our dollar ... couldn't be better I suppose).[COLOR="Silver"]
A little less and closer to you (though I didn't check shipping):

Maha PowerEx C9000 WizardOne NiMH/NiCAD AA/AAA WorldWide charger

Mine came from here 10 years ago. The LaCrosse options look good too, at the time I bought my maha, lacrosse had some problems with spontaneous fires in a run of their chargers (totally fixed afaik, so don't worry), so the decision was clearer at the time. I'd be tempted by the LaCrosse options today, but since I've been happy with my MaHa, I'd probably get another MaHa if mine conked out (unless it happened to explode or something).

Be warned that the Maha C9000 has a high pitched whine when operating that you might hardly even hear, but will probably annoy the heck out of your girlfriend. Well, my girlfriend. It also has a bright nightlight when running, and it's fairly large.

You might also check CanadaComputers, occasionally they have crazy sales but I'm not sure they've had one in a few years (search RedFlagDeals).

04-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much to all for the pertinent comments/suggestions.

I have made up my mind and will order the MaHa C9000.
This is like learning how to operate a new computer ... lots of features, some of which I have no idea what to do with them (according to the descriptions).
"Cycling", for instance ??

As for the batteries: is it worth to "upgrade" to newer (either Eneloop or MaHa Power EX 2700) batteries (mine are over 5 years old) and are rated 1900 if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: I found this (same charger ??) but with a different name: Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne
here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_1249_747&item_id=035136
A bit more expensive (Cdn dollar fluctuations ?).

Last edited by jpzk; 04-05-2017 at 02:29 PM.
04-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #21
Pentaxian

For my Eneloops, I use an old Sony (mid 2000s) LCD Sony BCG-34HRMF Battery Charger that is still going strong. I like this charger as it shows you the state of charge of each individual battery and charging relatively slowly. Generally slower charging is better then a fast charge for batteries but this charger seems to be a nice compromise between the two. You can charge from 1 to 4 AA or AAA batteries. The 'updated' Sony chargers in this series no longer show the individual battery results which is a step backwards.
Attached Images

Last edited by Theov39; 05-20-2017 at 03:06 AM.
05-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #22

Foxnovo F4-S

I agree with a previous poster about the lack of quality of LaCrosse products.
I have been using the Foxnovo F4-S for about two+ years since I started to migrate to 18650 Li-ion.
This charger can function at 0.5amp or 1.0amp charge rate, each cell is independent, and you can mix sizes and types.
Has a capacity function as well where is discharges and then recharges giving you a reading.
I personally choose the Tenergy brand for NiMH and have the AA and AAA.
Their capacities haven't changed since I got this charger, and on sale go for about a buck a piece.

amazon.com: Foxnovo F-4S 4-Slots LCD Battery Charger for Li-ion 26650, 22650, 18650, 18500, 18490, 17670, 17650, 17500, 16340, 14500, 10440 and Ni-MH /Ni-CD: A, AA, AAA, C, SC (Black): Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Stew

05-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scorman1 Quote
I agree with a previous poster about the lack of quality of LaCrosse products.
I have been using the Foxnovo F4-S for about two+ years since I started to migrate to 18650 Li-ion.
This charger can function at 0.5amp or 1.0amp charge rate, each cell is independent, and you can mix sizes and types.
Has a capacity function as well where is discharges and then recharges giving you a reading.
I personally choose the Tenergy brand for NiMH and have the AA and AAA.
Their capacities haven't changed since I got this charger, and on sale go for about a buck a piece.

amazon.com: Foxnovo F-4S 4-Slots LCD Battery Charger for Li-ion 26650, 22650, 18650, 18500, 18490, 17670, 17650, 17500, 16340, 14500, 10440 and Ni-MH /Ni-CD: A, AA, AAA, C, SC (Black): Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Stew
Will this work with my Eneloop batteries: AA and AAA (plus I have a couple of C and D batteries as well)
Price seems good (it's on sale right now) vs the pricey Lacrosse.
Thanks!
05-25-2017, 10:09 PM   #24
Pentaxian

As someone who used a K200D (which takes AA-sized batteries) for years, I can tell you that a good charger is an excellent investment. I can't tell you the number of times I thought I had good condition, fully charged batteries only to find myself out there with no power.

A good charger isn't expensive and will take care of your batteries - allowing you to slow-charge them (better for them) and also to "condition" them - fully charging then dis-charging until they reach their maximum performance.

The cheap, non-smart ones are to be avoided if at all possible.
05-27-2017, 05:12 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Will this work with my Eneloop batteries: AA and AAA (plus I have a couple of C and D batteries as well)
Price seems good (it's on sale right now) vs the pricey Lacrosse.
Thanks!
Of course ...any Li or NiMH battery of standard design and it will determine which kind of battery you have inserted. You can mix types and sizes. It will charge Li up to 4.20v and NiMH up to about 1.4v, but it is NOT timed , but uses current charge rate as the criteria. BTW, you mentioned "D" cells ..it will only charge two at a time because they are too fat to fit 4 side by side. I see a dealer on eBay at $32 w/free shipping. Slightly OT - eBay has AA to D cell adapters for about a buck, that can hold two or three AA NiMH in parallel 3x2000mAh which gives you higher capacity than the D cells you have now and the replacement cost for AA is a fraction of the cost.
3AA to D cell adapter | eBay

Stew
05-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As someone who used a K200D (which takes AA-sized batteries) for years, I can tell you that a good charger is an excellent investment. I can't tell you the number of times I thought I had good condition, fully charged batteries only to find myself out there with no power.

A good charger isn't expensive and will take care of your batteries - allowing you to slow-charge them (better for them) and also to "condition" them - fully charging then dis-charging until they reach their maximum performance.

The cheap, non-smart ones are to be avoided if at all possible.
QuoteOriginally posted by scorman1 Quote
Of course ...any Li or NiMH battery of standard design and it will determine which kind of battery you have inserted. You can mix types and sizes. It will charge Li up to 4.20v and NiMH up to about 1.4v, but it is NOT timed , but uses current charge rate as the criteria. BTW, you mentioned "D" cells ..it will only charge two at a time because they are too fat to fit 4 side by side. I see a dealer on eBay at $32 w/free shipping. Slightly OT - eBay has AA to D cell adapters for about a buck, that can hold two or three AA NiMH in parallel 3x2000mAh which gives you higher capacity than the D cells you have now and the replacement cost for AA is a fraction of the cost.
3AA to D cell adapter | eBay

Stew
Thanks guys!
Going to get an order on this ASAP!
Cheers!