Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloop batteries - Do I need a new charger ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have been using Eneloop batteries for my Pentax af540fgz flash unit for a number of years with good results.
((i.e.: the batteries seem to be holding their charge well and easy enough to recharge)).

Well, I don't really like the little charger that came with the batteries because I never quite know if all the batteries have charged properly/evenly?
The only thing that tells whether the charge has completed is that little green light that disappears once charging is done.
Would be nice to have something a bit "smarter", so I came across this:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000RSOV50/ref=asc_df_B000RSOV504917040/?tag=shopbo...0&linkCode=df0
It apparently does the trick.
Anyone has been using this charger ? Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks !!

03-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
See the charger below. It is considered one of the best available. I have used one for over 10 years. It even allows you to recondition your batteries, if desired.

Maha MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger | Thomas Distributing

See also this battery / charger FAQ

Battery FAQ - AAA, AAA, rechareable batteries, chargers, nimh, eneloop, maha

I can also highly recommend this dealer. Bought from them for years with no problems. Don't know if they ship to Canada.
03-31-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use this BC700 charger. It works very well, also has a battery refresh mode, to get some of the battery performance back.
Known issue with this BC 700 model is buttons may not work reliably over time, but I trick is to open the charger and clean the contacts, then it works fine.
03-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

When I looked at these chargers there was little to choose between them, though the Maha seemed to have a slight edge among them being larger there is more space between the cells which allows for better cooling.

The refresh/recondition modes on these chargers can bring batteries that were charged on "dumb" chargers back to life.

Note: Sanyo branded chargers with only two lights would only charge in pairs in series which leads to uneven charges. The current Panasonic branded chargers will charge the batteries individually. These are fairly rapid chargers which heat the cells up more than slower chargers and shorten the battery life.

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-31-2017 at 01:01 PM.
03-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
See the charger below. It is considered one of the best available. I have used one for over 10 years. It even allows you to recondition your batteries, if desired.

Maha MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger | Thomas Distributing

See also this battery / charger FAQ

Battery FAQ - AAA, AAA, rechareable batteries, chargers, nimh, eneloop, maha

I can also highly recommend this dealer. Bought from them for years with no problems. Don't know if they ship to Canada.
Found a Canadian distributor but VERRRY expensive:
MH-C9000 Wizard One Charger - Modern Outpost
and this one:
Vancouver Battery Corp - Canada's Retail & Wholesale Batteries Store, Rechargeable Batteries & Chargers
(also expensive but given the value of our dollar ... couldn't be better I suppose).

---------- Post added 03-31-17 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I use this BC700 charger. It works very well, also has a battery refresh mode, to get some of the battery performance back.
Known issue with this BC 700 model is buttons may not work reliably over time, but I trick is to open the charger and clean the contacts, then it works fine.
Thanks !
As long as it performs the way it's supposed to.

---------- Post added 03-31-17 at 04:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
When I looked at these chargers there was little to choose between them, though the Maha seemed to have a slight edge among them being larger there is more space between the cells which allows for better cooling.

The refresh/recondition modes on these chargers can bring batteries that were charged on "dumb" chargers back to life.

Note: Sanyo branded chargers with only two lights would only charge in pairs in series which leads to uneven charges. The current Panasonic branded chargers will charge the batteries individually. These are fairly rapid chargers which heat the cells up more than slower chargers and shorten the battery life.
So, what would YOU choose if you were in the market for anew charger (for Eneloop batteries)?
03-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have EBL batteries and charger. My charger gives me a green light also when the batteries are charged. I also use a multimeter/battery tester similar to the one found at the shortcut below to measure the amount of charge and capacity that is in the batteries I charge. I got it at Harbor Freight.

Digital Multimeter - 7 Function, w/ Backlight
03-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #7

A few years ago I bought the BC-700 and gave my eneloop charger to one of my kids. Very happy with the BC-700, and don't miss the original charger at all.

03-31-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I have the Maha MH-C9000 but also a small Sanyo MQR06W. When I go traveling I take the latter with me since it's small and light and still charges batteries individually. And actually I tend to use it at home as well, when I just want to simply charge my batteries.
03-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a La Crosse charger which worked well for a short while then crapped out. Have also used two La Crosse weather centres that were never more reliable so needless to say I,ve given up on La Crosse products. I appreciate the recommendations in this thread.
03-31-2017, 04:46 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using the Maha MH-C9000 for years. No complaints.
03-31-2017, 08:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 Maha. You won't be disappointed.
03-31-2017, 08:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have two Maha chargers (one I've had for many years, since NiMH batteries came out in fact) and I love them and would not be without them.

The first one I bought is similar to this and it can be powered from the wall outlet or from a 12V supply (e.g. car power socket). I keep it in my camera case to charge Eneloops I use in my K-30.

This is the one I bought last year and it can charge up to eight Eneloops at a time and has a digital display showing the charge state.

Maha make excellent chargers and they are well worth the money.
03-31-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

As many have already suggested, the MH-C9000 is probably one that you will be interested. I have used for many years and it is definitely one of the best charges I have used so far. You do need to see a few indicators from that charger when it is "done" especially the voltage. The charger gives you that information, so you can decide whether you need to "refresh/cycle" the battery or it's time to throw it away and get a new one. The one I bought years ago was only around 45 some odd dollars... wow, I didn't realise that it is that expensive now.
03-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by red_potatoes Quote
Very happy with the BC-700, and don't miss the original charger at all.
Ditto with my Maha MH-C9000.

Very easy to use with Eneloops, just using the default charger settings:

- turn on charger;
- put Eneloops into charger;
- walk away;
- remove battery when the LCD says 'Charged' underneath.
03-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, what would YOU choose if you were in the market for anew charger (for Eneloop batteries)?
Actually it was the BC-1000 that I was comparing to the Maha C9000. The difference between the La Crosse BC-700 and BC-1000 (other than price) are: Max charge current 700mAh for up to 4 cells vs max 700mAh for 4 cells or 1800 mAh for 2 cells or less and battery overheating detection. The Maha will output up to 2000mAh for 4 cells and has overheat detection as well.

Output is somewhat moot as I typically charge my AA at 700mAh but it's nice to have the options should I require a very fast recharge or pick up higher capacity cells than my 2nd and 3rd generation Eneloops.

I'd probably stay with the Maha for that reason unless price was an overriding factor. Ouch! for the prices of the Maha in Canada. I bought mine through Amazon from a dealer that was actually local to me.