Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glass vs gel filters

I recently decided to pick up Irix 15 mm and since then have been thinking about filters for it. It takes 95mm filters, so they are not cheap, and it has a slot for gel filters in the back. I have never used gel filters, so I really know nothing about them. How do they compare to glass filters? Are some better than others? For example, B&H has some Kodak gel filters for over $100, while on eBay they go for about $30. Package is different though... Really new territory for me

04-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
I recently decided to pick up Irix 15 mm and since then have been thinking about filters for it. It takes 95mm filters, so they are not cheap, and it has a slot for gel filters in the back. I have never used gel filters, so I really know nothing about them. How do they compare to glass filters? Are some better than others? For example, B&H has some Kodak gel filters for over $100, while on eBay they go for about $30. Package is different though... Really new territory for me
I have some of the newer "improved" Kodak Wratten 2 ND filters (from B&H Photo) and the ones you see on eBay are the older Kodak Wratten types. (B&H will only sell the current Kodak gel filters) The problem with using rear Gel filters is that you have to cut a 75mm x 75mm one into a smaller size, so no more using it with a front mounted filter holder. If you want to do that then get some of the older Kodak ones on eBay. Gel filters are prone to scratching and finger prints, so best use gloves when handling them or use the tissue paper they come wrapped new in.

Phil.
04-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Kodak Wratten (later also listed as Tiffen) gel filters are excellent--in that they are very thin and thus don't cause as much loss of resolution as glass; but they are obviously harder to clean/cannot get wet. For a gel holder in the back of the lens they should be ideal--except they are to be cut to fit and thus only used for that application. I actively used gels for color correction w/ film for several decades (in the late 1900's), and they were my choice--over glass. But at that time (~2000) I believe it was about $10. for a 3"x3" (75mm x 75mm) gel.

Lee used to make promotional set of all their resin/plastic filters (roughly 1" x 2") and hand them out at camera shows. If they still do that could be a source of filters--for behind the lens. If not a cheap ebay listing for the ones you need would likely be good--also used at KEH and B&H I would think.

Last edited by dms; 04-01-2017 at 08:06 PM.
04-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have some of the newer "improved" Kodak Wratten 2 ND filters (from B&H Photo) and the ones you see on eBay are the older Kodak Wratten types. (B&H will only sell the current Kodak gel filters) The problem with using rear Gel filters is that you have to cut a 75mm x 75mm one into a smaller size, so no more using it with a front mounted filter holder. If you want to do that then get some of the older Kodak ones on eBay. Gel filters are prone to scratching and finger prints, so best use gloves when handling them or use the tissue paper they come wrapped new in.

Phil.
Thanks for the suggestion! I thought maybe those older ones are not that great, given the price difference... Is there a limit to how much you can stack them?

---------- Post added 04-04-17 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
The Kodak Wratten (later also listed as Tiffen) gel filters are excellent--in that they are very thin and thus don't cause as much loss of resolution as glass; but they are obviously harder to clean/cannot get wet. For a gel holder in the back of the lens they should be ideal--except they are to be cut to fit and thus only used for that application. I actively used gels for color correction w/ film for several decades (in the late 1900's), and they were my choice--over glass. But at that time (~2000) I believe it was about $10. for a 3"x3" (75mm x 75mm) gel.

Lee used to make promotional set of all their resin/plastic filters (roughly 1" x 2") and hand them out at camera shows. If they still do that could be a source of filters--for behind the lens. If not a cheap ebay listing for the ones you need would likely be good--also used at KEH and B&H I would think.
Yes, they are definitely more than $10 now So I briefly looked on eBay and it seems there are only ND and colour gel filters, right? So for polarizing filters one still has to use glass?

04-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Is there a limit to how much you can stack them?
I would imagine just one rear mount gel filter would be the limit, that's what was recommended by Pentax for their lenses with a rear gel filter holder.

No gel polarizers that I know of, no way to rotate them.

Phil.
04-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe polarizing material is a film/polymer. it is available incorporated in thicker plastic sheets--from Edmunds, but these likely are not of sufficient optical quality (I use these in front of studio lights).

A polarizing film of gel thickness possibly could have a thin magnet attached to a thin (structural member) circular ring attached to the gel, and then with an externally held magnet you could turn it in the lens rear gel holder (no idea/memory of if I had heard of this before--but chem lab heaters use something like this to turn small stirrers in above stationed beaker).