Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,201
Suggestions and ideas for quick lens systems

Since upgrading from a K-50 to a K-1 (and mounting a L plate), I am finding that I don't have much room left (in the camera compartment) in my Lowepro 100AW for anything other than the K-1 (I used to be able to squeeze a lens in there as well).

I don't typically have a walk around lens yet, I own a 21mm, 50mm and 100mm primes and swap between them, and now I'd like to get serious about tackling this work flow with more efficiency (as I am happy with the lens).

I just wondering what people in my circumstances do, how to you manage multiple lens swapping on the go?

I've seen things like this; CaptureLENS Clip For Carrying & Changing Lenses | Peak Design

They don't design for Pentax, I'm wondering if another company does and what they're like. The main thing that eek's me out a i little is the non protective element, and being exposed to weather, ultimately in bad weather I'd need to dismount the lens and put away... away into what tho (if my bag is already fullish).

I really don't want to upgrade bags because it suits my purposes, this is just a lens pouch/carrying issue that I want ideas for tackling when out and about.

Cheers,

Bruce

04-01-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Senior Member
G.E.Zekai's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 199
I have seen some "lens mount holders" like in the link below. But most of the time these are for Canikon and if newer design for Sony F/E. I wish they had a modular design or Pentax version... I hate belt systems as they don't feel secure and too cumbersome for most of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/NEW-Gowing-Lens-Holder-Canon/dp/B00KYP0LK0?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,967
I have a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW backpack. It works out really well with my K-3II/Sigma 150-500 along with battery charger/cord, batteries, flash, and still have room for other. I use it for air travel and for other transport or storage if needed. They cost about 90 dollars on Amazon now.

Last edited by C_Jones; 04-01-2017 at 08:57 PM.
04-01-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,457
In winter I just carry my spare lens/es in my jacket pocket with both caps on, swapping as necessary.

I've used a lens pouch with a clip to hold a prime on the camera strap in warmer weather with lighter lenses. Great for a couple limited primes if you aren't wearing a jacket.

04-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian
35mmfilmfan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 2,431
Harking back to a previous thread in this forum, I use a Lowepro backpack, but when changing lenses in a hurry (infrequent), I just pop the one I've removed (complete with caps and protective filter) in one of the many capacious pockets of my 'photographer's vest'.
04-02-2017, 05:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,201
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
I have seen some "lens mount holders" like in the link below. But most of the time these are for Canikon and if newer design for Sony F/E. I wish they had a modular design or Pentax version... I hate belt systems as they don't feel secure and too cumbersome for most of the time.

amazon.com : NEW Gowing Lens Holder for Canon : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
A bit of googling and I came across this company; Pentax Lens Flipper

Unfortunately they don't seem to ship to Australia, though I have contacted them to confirm.


QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW backpack. It works out really well with my K-3II/Sigma 150-500 along with battery charger/cord, batteries, flash, and still have room for other. I use it for air travel and for other transport or storage if needed. They cost about 90 dollars on Amazon now.
Another larger backpack isn't what I need, and I'm comfortable with what I have. It stores my K-1 and other goods just fine, I could even add the lenses into the backpack if they were also in semi padded cushion containers themselves.

No, what I'm after is a way to swap between 2-3 lenses quickly on the go, either on a bush walk or a photoshoot, I'm thinking it will have to be a belt system of some kind...

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
In winter I just carry my spare lens/es in my jacket pocket with both caps on, swapping as necessary.

I've used a lens pouch with a clip to hold a prime on the camera strap in warmer weather with lighter lenses. Great for a couple limited primes if you aren't wearing a jacket.
I live in Australia, a jacket is fine for some months, but more often than not it's light clothing mostly, which rules out a lot of jackets and pockets...

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Harking back to a previous thread in this forum, I use a Lowepro backpack, but when changing lenses in a hurry (infrequent), I just pop the one I've removed (complete with caps and protective filter) in one of the many capacious pockets of my 'photographer's vest'.
... including photographers vest, but thanks for the suggestion!
04-02-2017, 05:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,580
I have a Lowepro Lens Exchange Case that is just for this purpose. Mine fits the DA*300 and Tamron 70-200 perfectly which are my two largest lenses. This works well when I'm on hikes where I want to change lenses. But I don't normally change them in the rain. I also have a Tenba sling bag that swings around in front of you to open horizontally and allow for a safe exchange, I would guess that most slings do this but that's just a guess.

04-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,905
I use a sling bag or really any bag and on the extra lenses I have optech double lens caps. This lets me remove a lens and secure it to the rear of the double cap before removing the lens I plan to mount from the cap.
04-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,201
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a Lowepro Lens Exchange Case that is just for this purpose. Mine fits the DA*300 and Tamron 70-200 perfectly which are my two largest lenses. This works well when I'm on hikes where I want to change lenses. But I don't normally change them in the rain. I also have a Tenba sling bag that swings around in front of you to open horizontally and allow for a safe exchange, I would guess that most slings do this but that's just a guess.
Ah... so they do exist, I've only really seen lens pouches and small camera bags, not actual 'official' lens cases. Good to know, will research further.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I use a sling bag or really any bag and on the extra lenses I have optech double lens caps. This lets me remove a lens and secure it to the rear of the double cap before removing the lens I plan to mount from the cap.
Ah, a double lens caps, I didn't know they existed, that could be mighty handy.

I'm currently trying to see about getting a Pentax K Mount Lens Flipper from these guys; Pentax Lens Flipper
This is the only company I know that do Pentax Lens Flippers, unfortunately they do not ship directly to Australia
The one supplier they have here in Australia do not have the Pentax Lens Flippers in stock

But... they have $10 off currently till this Wednesday FYI.
04-03-2017, 05:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,905
Lens Mount Cap | OP/TECH USA

This gives you a bit more info on the double cap.
04-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
PeakDesigns lens clip - CAMPAIGN

I have their camera clips and love them.

They do not YET have the Pentax Lens Adaptor - but they are seriously thinking of it.

CaptureLENS Clip For Carrying & Changing Lenses | Peak Design


IF THEY GET A TON OF E-MAIL REQUESTING IT I AM SURE THEY WILL MAKE IT !!

So folks -- E-mail away to Daniel at info@peakdesign.com .....

Just ask for the Capture Lens for the Pentax Lens ..

Cheers

vimlr007 - Pentax owner for 45 years !
04-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Paris, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,192
While this isn't a carry solution, it's certainly provided a lot of convenience and security during lens changes and it's well worth the small effort to make a few of 'em.

Simply epoxy two rear lens caps back-to-back and use 'em on the unmounted lenses. That allows you to securely hold both lenses with one hand while swapping them.

You can also use the paired caps to 'capture' two un-mounted lenses that would otherwise be loose in a bag without having 'em bumping together -- although that defeats the convenience of the swap trick.

Some time ago I purchased 15 generic PK rear caps on e'Bay for ~$8 and they've been a very handy addition to the DIY junk box.
04-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,905
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
While this isn't a carry solution, it's certainly provided a lot of convenience and security during lens changes and it's well worth the small effort to make a few of 'em.

Simply epoxy two rear lens caps back-to-back and use 'em on the unmounted lenses. That allows you to securely hold both lenses with one hand while swapping them.

You can also use the paired caps to 'capture' two un-mounted lenses that would otherwise be loose in a bag without having 'em bumping together -- although that defeats the convenience of the swap trick.

Some time ago I purchased 15 generic PK rear caps on e'Bay for ~$8 and they've been a very handy addition to the DIY junk box.
Epoxy does a poor job adhering to plastic, but my dad has done this himself. I personally trust the optech caps more.
04-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian
BruceBanner's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 5,201
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Lens Mount Cap | OP/TECH USA

This gives you a bit more info on the double cap.
Yes thanks. I ended up ordering a couple over the weekend

QuoteOriginally posted by vimlr007 Quote
I have their camera clips and love them.

They do not YET have the Pentax Lens Adaptor - but they are seriously thinking of it.

CaptureLENS Clip For Carrying & Changing Lenses | Peak Design


IF THEY GET A TON OF E-MAIL REQUESTING IT I AM SURE THEY WILL MAKE IT !!

So folks -- E-mail away to Daniel at info@peakdesign.com .....

Just ask for the Capture Lens for the Pentax Lens ..

Cheers

vimlr007 - Pentax owner for 45 years !
I emailed also, and yeah my local store has their brand in stock but of course none for the Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
While this isn't a carry solution, it's certainly provided a lot of convenience and security during lens changes and it's well worth the small effort to make a few of 'em.

Simply epoxy two rear lens caps back-to-back and use 'em on the unmounted lenses. That allows you to securely hold both lenses with one hand while swapping them.

You can also use the paired caps to 'capture' two un-mounted lenses that would otherwise be loose in a bag without having 'em bumping together -- although that defeats the convenience of the swap trick.

Some time ago I purchased 15 generic PK rear caps on e'Bay for ~$8 and they've been a very handy addition to the DIY junk box.
Clever, sometimes the obvious solution drifts by me, and I'm not against saving funds through DIY (L Plate mod), but alas I already bit the bullet and ordered two of the optec caps.

They're definitely going to come in handy, but I still haven't found a 'lens carrying' solution...

Going forward I have two situations that need addressed;

1) The bush walk

2) Working/Portraits/Weddings

With scenario 1 I will be taking my LowePro 100AW, it will carry bush walking stuff as well as the K-1 in the camera compartment. I really like the swing style shoulder bag, it's well thought out and allows me to rotate/swing the bag around to grabbing the camera out of the bag without actually having to take the bag off my person, very handy. But I will still be wanting a quick lens swap system, and because something is around my shoulder (my 100AW bag as well as possibly the camera neck strap) it means I think a belt system might be best for this scenario.

With scenario 2 I won't be using the Lowepro bag, I will be dressed more smartly and therefore again a belt system probably makes more sense.

I have seen those gun slinger harnesses that could be advantageous for scenario 2, but really I think at this time just investing in a good belt system will be enough.

When browsing B&H I came across this brand; Cosyspeed, I quite liked some their lens pouches and belts like this; COSYSPEED Camslinger 160 Mirrorless Camera Holder CS0010 B&H but I'm not a fan of having that large bulk camera part being fixed and non removable as it might not be needed on some jobs.

Ah well... the search continues. Feel free to throw anything of interest my way
04-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Paris, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,192
A point. Smooth plastic can be a concern. Many ways to enhance the structural joint. Roughened surfaces, drilled 'post holes', epoxy reinforced wrap, . . . I've never experienced a failure with properly prepared surfaces.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
design, ideas, k-1, lens, suggestions and ideas, tripod, weather
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax vs Other Camera SYSTEMS - Observations and a comparison by a working semi-pro G.E.Zekai Photographic Industry and Professionals 42 02-19-2017 11:47 PM
Small, fast, or cheap lenses: How do Pentax and Fuji Systems Compare? braver Non-Pentax: Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. 105 01-27-2016 01:44 PM
Quick Question on Quick Shift jamarley Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 11-04-2014 07:00 AM
Camera Carrying Systems - suggestions? Docrwm Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 29 10-05-2013 10:13 AM
Industrial photos.... need some ideas and suggestions please :) okitoki Photographic Technique 10 05-08-2012 06:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top