Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-06-2017, 06:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tripod under 200$ suggestions

Thinking to finally upgrade my tripod that I got for very little amount of money on a crazy sale when I lived in China It does the job well enough, but it's just a pain to use sometimes - twisty locks (4 of them for each leg) are a pain to deal in winter, ball head isn't very precise (although sturdy, holds my K-1 and any lens), assembling it takes more than I'd like when i get to location. So I'd like some suggestions for a good tripod under $200. I prefer lighter ones (to carry on hikes), as long as it's steady enough for LE astro or landscape stuff. Thanks in advance!

PS: I believe this one is the one I have, at least it looks identical to my one
https://www.amazon.com/AW-Aluminium-Tripod-Monopod-Professional/dp/B0109XWVB...luminum+tripod

04-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

a good used Manfrotto 3021 should serve you well....
04-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you checked out this page?

B&H Tripod Deals - PentaxForums.com
04-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

I ordered a vanguard alta pro 263ab after doing some research seems like a great value for all it can do.

Oh and it was only $167.99 including ball head

Last edited by BullsOnParade81; 04-06-2017 at 07:59 AM.
04-06-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Have you checked out this page?

B&H Tripod Deals - PentaxForums.com
I'll have a look, thanks! But I was also looking for people's opinions based on their experiences with different tripods. There's so much out there, I'm trying to narrow it down. I've used Manfrotto gear before and it was glorious. Tried Gitzo too, great stuff. But other than those 2 brands I'm oblivious, so if there's a budget conscious option out there (I'm using Pentax in the end of the day, probably the best valued option out there ), I'd like to know

---------- Post added 04-06-17 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
I ordered a vanguard alta pro 263ab after doing some research seems like a great value for all it can do.
Oh, this one looks like a nice product. They have interesting options for the heads as well, that pistol grip one lol
04-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Check out Vanguard tripods as they are in your price range and they make excellent products, several have even won awards including the one I use (an Alta Pro 263AT). They are sturdy, versatile and have some unique features. I love mine as it extends to my eye height so I can shoot without bending (I barely need to raise the centre section too) or I can flip the centre section and get really low if need be. The legs are all fully adjustable for height and angle (independent of each other) and all the locks are very positive with no slippage. The centre section can also be set up to sit at an angle (fully adjustable) so you can shoot objects on a table from above for example. Mine also came with a bag hook on the centre section for increased stability, a carrying bag with adjustable strap and a multi-tool for adjusting/tightening all the screws and fittings.
04-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Check out Vanguard tripods as they are in your price range and they make excellent products, several have even won awards including the one I use (an Alta Pro 263AT). They are sturdy, versatile and have some unique features. I love mine as it extends to my eye height so I can shoot without bending (I barely need to raise the centre section too) or I can flip the centre section and get really low if need be. The legs are all fully adjustable for height and angle (independent of each other) and all the locks are very positive with no slippage. The centre section can also be set up to sit at an angle (fully adjustable) so you can shoot objects on a table from above for example. Mine also came with a bag hook on the centre section for increased stability, a carrying bag with adjustable strap and a multi-tool for adjusting/tightening all the screws and fittings.
I'll check out 263AT, thanks! Someone suggested AB model earlier, what are the differences?

04-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'll check out 263AT, thanks! Someone suggested AB model earlier, what are the differences?
The AB comes with a ball head. The AT I think is just the tripod and you buy the head separate
04-06-2017, 08:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yup the AT is just the legs, I already had a good ball head and a swivel head (mostly for monopod use) so I just needed the legs and not a combo unit.
04-06-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last year I was looking for a decent travel tripod and settled on this one. Being a light weight and compact tripod it has a few short comings but all in all I'm very pleased with my purchase. Most places have it listed at $200.00 or just under. Does have the twist locks though.
MeFOTO RoadTrip Aluminum Travel Tripod Kit (Titanium) A1350Q1T#!

Last edited by DW58; 04-06-2017 at 08:53 AM.
04-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eh, problem with all tripods is that they all look very similar, and it's hard to see what the real difference is lol. I guess anything above 150$ and from a known brand would be reasonable choice)
04-06-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used Bogen 3021 legs with the 3047 head for large & medium format landscape work for over 20 years -- they used to sell as a package for about $150 -- solid, slightly heavy. In fact I still have two of these setups -- they are beat to hell but still work. I don't know what todays equivalent model numbers would be but it would definitely be worth looking into.
04-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a sirui et2004 or something with kx10 bLl head.

Over all its pretty good. Few small things I don't like. For example only one slit the the measurements on the ball head for pano. Always seem to be on the wrong side.

However I must commend their customer service. Arrived with a broken clip on one legs and the head office in China sent me replacements all for free super fast.

They have loads of models at different prices. Worth checking out. 6 year warranty
04-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got a vanguard 263AB, which works very well and has macro arm, for example. It's quite heavy though.

MeFoto has their daytrip tripods that are very small. You might like that one.
04-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another vote for the Vanguard 263AB 100. Rock solid, easy to use and a terrific ball-head. Great price too! Have been using this since early 2014. It's almost as solid as the the C-6 GPMG Tripod I used decades ago as an Infantry officer - but weighs a heck of a lot less:-) The Vanguard is an outstanding piece of kit!