Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2017, 04:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Yes, I found that. Sounds all great, but it's 20 inches height. That means that from the spot when the neck is attached to head it will reach the middle of my butt. I doubt already it's a good solution for walk around bag. For hiking mountain trails - perhaps. For the city-suburb-botanical garden-day on event shooting I'm not sure it's a good idea. Honestly, I don't want to spend $179 just to test it and then send it back.

I also checked all LowePro available bags, and I have tree of them already. Actually I like LowePro bags. They are good. For walking with lighter setup.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 09:55 PM ----------

Yes, I know...
You know why am I ranting today? I've searched, and searched, and came to the same conclusion again: buy something else and modify. Ones again. But I don't want to modify. It's like, let's say I want to buy evening gown, which fits perfectly, and it's not cheap, but I need to modify it. Why can't I just find a perfect dress ones.
That's a terrible comparison. No woman buys a dress off the rack and is happy with it. They almost always need tailoring. Why? Every single one of you is shaped differently and you wear clothes differently. Men are easy to dress - shoulder width, sleeve length, waist and inseam. Done. Women have all those lovely shapes and curves and require clothing to fit those lines precisely, and we men love you all for it.

I wouldn't be upset about "modifying," especially on a backpack. You're not modifying, you're buying what fits and does the job the best. I guarantee you any properly-fitted backpack is going to carry your camera weight better than any camera bag. Buy the insert and carry the gear. Added benefit - it doesn't look like a camera bag and is less likely to get stolen.

04-09-2017, 05:38 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I found that. Sounds all great, but it's 20 inches height. That means that from the spot when the neck is attached to head it will reach the middle of my butt. I doubt already it's a good solution for walk around bag. For hiking mountain trails - perhaps. For the city-suburb-botanical garden-day on event shooting I'm not sure it's a good idea. Honestly, I don't want to spend $179 just to test it and then send it back.

I also checked all LowePro available bags, and I have tree of them already. Actually I like LowePro bags. They are good. For walking with lighter setup.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 09:55 PM ----------

Yes, I know...
You know why am I ranting today? I've searched, and searched, and came to the same conclusion again: buy something else and modify. Ones again. But I don't want to modify. It's like, let's say I want to buy evening gown, which fits perfectly, and it's not cheap, but I need to modify it. Why can't I just find a perfect dress ones.
it would be nice to find something that didn't have to tinkered with to suit our needs but unless you make it yourself or have it made that is unlikely to happen
actually that desire has created some interesting products
unfortunately the maker made something that suited them and....back to the beginning
04-09-2017, 06:07 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I found that. Sounds all great, but it's 20 inches height. That means that from the spot when the neck is attached to head it will reach the middle of my butt. I doubt already it's a good solution for walk around bag. For hiking mountain trails - perhaps. For the city-suburb-botanical garden-day on event shooting I'm not sure it's a good idea. Honestly, I don't want to spend $179 just to test it and then send it back. I also checked all LowePro available bags, and I have tree of them already. Actually I like LowePro bags. They are good. For walking with lighter setup.
My apologies in advance for mansplaining.

A 20" torso length (C7 vertebra down to the line between the top of your hipbones - the iliac crest) is considered Large for a male backpack.

The 20.5" on the Kashmir pack I linked is the total height dimension, from the top of the external top pouch to the bottom of the external bottom pouch, not the torso length.

The proper measure for backpack torso length is from the point where the straps attach (at vertebra C7) down to the point where the suspension mesh rests on your iliac crest. Most (frame) torso lengths are adjustable 8"-10", maxing out at 22". Almost all packs, including camera backpacks, are somewhat to significantly taller than the torso length, but the top and bottom pouches don't touch your body. My 5'9" daughter's trekking pack frame is adjusted to 17" length. The overall height is 30" packed.

The tension on the shoulder straps is also adjustable on-the-fly so they don't pull on the shoulders. The backpack should be close to the body when descending and away from the body when ascending, so the pack stays closer to vertical while your body is angled. This also allows your shoulders to 'rest' by changing the angle when you are walking on flat ground for a long time. Done properly the weight is on your hip bones and lumbar. The shoulders only control the motion of the pack.

You can get the actual information.

F-Stop products Phone: 1 (253) 236 0070
F-Stop products return policy: 45 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - Return the bag for a full refund for any reason if you are not happy with your purchase.

I hope this information helps you find the right camera backpack.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-09-2017 at 07:04 AM.
04-09-2017, 06:11 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not a question about being masculine or feminine designed. Most photo backpacks, and most back packs are designed for no one , it's that simple.

Unless a pack has a harness that is completely free from the pack, it only fits a person who's small of the back aligns with the bottom of the pack and shoulders about 4 inches above the top of the pack it won't fit.

Also look for chest straps that move relative to shoulder straps

04-09-2017, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I know you said that changing and adapting something else wasn't what you anted, but have a look here: The Best Women's Backpacking Backpack | OutdoorGearLab
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My apologies in advance for mansplaining.
It's different perspective for me to look at ergonomics in general . Although that gear was designed for different needs (including Kashmir- for hiking in wildlife photographers), it helps to shop with different criteria than before.
04-09-2017, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #36
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
In this case, the problem is not so much that it's a man's world, but men do not have that problem. So we cannot identify with it. the ones that need to fix the problem is the ones that have the problem. The only way you're going to complain and fix the problem is if you complain to the right person, and make them understand that it is economically viable to fix the problem. So you can either set on the fence and complain, or get off the fence and fix the problem. if you cannot fix the problem yourself, find the right person that can. And make them understand that there is money to be made by fixing the problem.
That's very easy to say, not to complain; just fix it! Who is the "right" person you keep mentioning? A minority's (in this case women) voice is not easily heard.
04-09-2017, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I struggle with finding a camera bag I like and I'm a man who is close to average height and way too heavy. My problems finding the perfect bag are trivial by comparison but make me rather empathetic towards how hard the situation is if you are a woman seeking a bag in a field largely populated by men and a dwindling market.

04-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #38
Veteran Member

To be honest, I don't think there's a way to engineer around those "mammalian ludicrosities" (in Faulkner's memorable phrase) in a backpack, but you might check out Ribz "front packs"
Alpine Green Front Pack | RibzWear --or other packs with an "X" harness that might get the strap angles working more comfortably.

Of course, if you really wanted to go Old School:
Tumpline - Wikipedia

04-09-2017, 08:37 AM   #39
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That RibzWear looks interesting! Thanks for the link.
04-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #40
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote

Tumpline - Wikipedia

Can you imagine how hard that is on the cervical spine?
04-09-2017, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No doubt, humans vary is shape and proportion. And it's true that designers create bags to suit the most common shapes of customers. Yet good quality bags also include a range of adjustments.

A big part of the challenge is in adjusting those adjustments in the right order and to the right locations/lengths. What seems intuitive and comfortable at first might be horrible by the end of the day. A related issue is in how you pack the bag in terms of where it's center of gravity ends up. At a backpack fitting at REI, I learned I'd been packing & adjusting my pack in the entirely wrong way!

Thus, you may already have a usable bag that just needs a little care in packing and adjusting. Perhaps a bit of research or going to a dedicated camping/hiking-related store might give you some insights into how to maximize long-term hiking comfort.

Good luck & happy hiking!
04-09-2017, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Can you imagine how hard that is on the cervical spine?
it's not the bones, it's the muscles

worn correctly you can bear a fairly massive load
as an adjunct to pack straps it can be freaking amazing the amount of stuff you can pack

I've made several over the years and most people would use them as slings for bedrolls but every now and then I would hear about one used with a wannigan or trapper nelson pack frame

if you can find a woven tump you will have a tool of real beauty
04-09-2017, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

To be honest, I don't think there's a way to engineer around those "mammalian ludicrosities" (in Faulkner's memorable phrase) in a backpack, but you might check out Ribz "front packs"
Alpine Green Front Pack | RibzWear --or other packs with an "X" harness that might get the strap angles working more comfortably.

Tumpline - Wikipedia

That contraption was invented way back in B.C.—Before Chiropractors!
04-09-2017, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I've made several over the years

That's very cool--wonder if there's a Youtube video showing how to get under-load with one? (As for long term damage, I wonder if you could tell one of the coureurs de bois from his skeleton the way it's possible to do with an English longbowman?)
04-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's very cool--wonder if there's a Youtube video showing how to get under-load with one? (As for long term damage, I wonder if you could tell one of the coureurs de bois from his skeleton the way it's possible to do with an English longbowman?)
"In the 1920s there was a man in Mexico City who delivered pianos on his back using a tumpline."*

Just last weekend I had a conversation with a neighbor who had sold her baby-grand piano. She said the man who bought it took the legs off, tied a rope around it, put the rope over his head and carried the piano out to his truck on his back.

* The Wikipedia link above.