Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A man invented the sewing machine. After he perfected it he gave it to his wife*.

Men are lazy. That's why we have so many 'modern conveniences'. We invent them, and make our women us them while we sit idly by and devise other means to be even lazier.

Men are pigs.

* Full disclosure. In my house both Mrs. Racer and myself use the sewing machine, to mend clothing and create things.
Yes, and humans reached the point of making themselves completely obsolete with the invention of the VCR, a machine to watch television for them.

04-10-2017, 08:57 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Yes, and humans reached the point of making themselves completely obsolete with the invention of the VCR, a machine to watch television for them.
But we improved even that invention with the DVD - no more rewinding! And then further developed that with streaming - no more running to the store to rent or buy.
04-10-2017, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
His name wasn't "James Logan," was it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(character)

At any rate, a great story--I've known more than a few "country strong" individuals over the years...you just can't train for what's been bred in the bone.
no, not a superhero, just a little lithuanian

---------- Post added 04-10-17 at 09:07 AM ----------

A man invented the sewing machine. After he perfected it he gave it to his wife*.

Men are lazy. That's why we have so many 'modern conveniences'. We invent them, and make our women us them while we sit idly by and devise other means to be even lazier.

Men are pigs.

* Full disclosure. In my house both Mrs. Racer and myself use the sewing machine, to mend clothing and create things.
now that i'm old and arthritic a sewing machine is a boon

mine is a brutish industrial machine
I finally gave in and bought large diameter, seven pound flywheel for it
after a decade or so I have a tool instead of a doorstop
04-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
humans reached the point of making themselves completely obsolete with the invention of the VCR
Long before that - it was when we removed ourselves from other creatures' food chains. When the human race dies out, no other species will even notice.

04-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Not much about ergonomics. Unisex camera bags are mostly for men. Women, you know, they are different, yep. We have narrower shoulders. We have different back lines. And we have boobs. How many times carrying heavy gear in my slings, or cross shoulder bags I wished to have flat chest...
I'm in the process of testing some camera backpacks, but in the meantime I'll mention that Vanguard seems to have a part of their lineup designed for women. Fstop also, but these are more specialized.
04-11-2017, 07:17 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Long before that - it was when we removed ourselves from other creatures' food chains. When the human race dies out, no other species will even notice.
I would suspect many would notice as we no longer would try to kill them. The house mice and roaches would notice first perhaps, and many species would take over the houses and buildings as they deteriorated. We aren't really removed from the food chain, we are the apex predator - our removal will be noticed.
04-11-2017, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

I would not have thought of this on my own...

I saw a birder/photographer this weekend carrying a pelican case by means of a harness
pelican also makes backpacks...some of which they must think are woman-friendly if their site is any indication

then my head went to rigid pack frames
I dislike them even more than regular backpacks but you can pack a lot of gear

however nothing I've seen or read since you brought this up deals adequately with breasts and straps
that seems to be the issue...yes?
everywhere I've looked has just tried to adapt male-centric designs to a woman's needs for heavy/bulky load carrying
most of the compromises are fairly lame

the only success I've personally accomplished is modifying lumbar packs to take a strap that runs from hip to hip via the back of the neck
I use the same design for shoulder holsters and sheaths but it really is more for stability than load bearing
because to be comfortable all day the design requires the use of elastic or soft webbing

I even dug out a dusty tome about carrying things through the ages
the only strap alternative has been the tumpline and for a variety of reasons is not a viable solution

I know people want what they want
but sometimes you need to look past the more traditional choices

i'm a minimalist regarding on-body carriage
I worked a job where all that stuff could get you killed in some pretty gruesome ways
so over the years I've used carts, wagons, sleds, etc. to carry my stuff when I was afoot

with your load out I really would look to some sort of all-terrain, wheeled solution
even as simple as larger diameter wheels on a pelican box

other than that i'm out of ideas

good luck

04-11-2017, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

You have more than one?

Just get one of these.
I have the K3 and K3II so I need that vehicle

---------- Post added 04-11-17 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
One suggestion re: using a back pack

Use it

Too many of us use a backpack rarely and thus when we do use it, we are not familiar with it, how to adjust it or its weight, in this case "practice" can improve your experience
Carry it "heavy" and build up your endurance slowly, and then carrying a "normal" load is much easier

Know the terrain you will explore and try to get use to it: expecting to be climbing, try starting with stairs, living at sea level or 900 feet but vacationing at 12,000 feet learn how that could affect you physically and/or mentally

All things I know or have learned

and I am too stupid to do myself
This is true, I have steep stairs in my old house and am walking up and down the stairs throughout the day. I even do a lot of container gardening and carrying heavy bags of dirt etc. And then there is the local State Park terrain which the trails all go downhill and requires going uphill to get back, after you are tired and all the way at the bottom with the backpack. The backpack has 2 K3's, lens assortment, what if you wanted the sigma 500?, the tripod, water, doesn't include lunch. Oh yeah, the only bathrooms are at the top. Even the fairly strenuous daily activities I do at home still does not fully prepare me for hiking with the pack uphill in the heat. So I have been working out more so I won't look like a bedraggled out of breath 55 yr old with a pack on the trail. But on the upside, with the Hyperosmia if anyone wearing cologne gets lost off the trail, I can find them by smell. 😂😂

Last edited by sherrvonne; 04-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.
04-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #69
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm in the process of testing some camera backpacks
Be sure to let us know the results!
04-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #70
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another advantage of regularly using your back pack loaded with the camera gear is that

it can help you get into better shape

just remember, never attempt to run a marathon the first day you decide to start any exercise program

baby steps folks, baby steps,

start slow and be quick to end at the beginning,

and then gradually increase the time you carry the back pack and adjust the weight accordingly

no heroes or legends need to be created over night

slow and steady she goes.
04-12-2017, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Be sure to let us know the results!
They'll appear on the homepage
04-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My sympathies, it's crazy that more designs aren't available for women!!!

Maybe you can find some inspiration here, I think the hiking world has a lot more choice for packs.
Camera-Specific Outdoor Packs Suck, Here's What I Use Instead

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
One more time I've tried to search for comfortable and functional backpack for women, and one more time I ended up with plenty of "fashion camera bags", "stylish camera bags", "pretty camera bags"...

Not much about ergonomics. Unisex camera bags are mostly for men. Women, you know, they are different, yep. We have narrower shoulders. We have different back lines. And we have boobs. How many times carrying heavy gear in my slings, or cross shoulder bags I wished to have flat chest...

My Camsafe sling, for example, is great. Here is the only one main drawback: to make it comfortable and secure I need cross chest strap. Yep, it's embarrassing to wear it that way without covering the strap line with scarf. For women the position of the strap should be higher than for men. But it's unisex, right?

My Think Tank sling is great, I love it very much. But again, the most comfortable way to wear it is on the front. Wearing it on the back I have that "boob problem" again.

I decided to go for backpack, and I searched tons of them, and the problem is the same: no one really pays attention for women body. I don't care about fashion. I want lumbar support designed specifically for women, straps which don't cut chest in half, of too short for women chest; comfortable tripod placement (yes, women carry tripod too!), shoulder straps designed specifically for women shoulders.
I want the backpack which can walk with all day without killing either my shoulders, or my back.

No luck so far.
So it is the rant. Photography accessories are not "unisex", they are mostly for men.
04-12-2017, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
When the human race dies out, no other species will even notice.
Cats will notice - but only to the extent of being annoyed that no one is providing their tuna.
04-12-2017, 02:04 PM   #74
Pentaxian

I'm the same without the boob problem. I Leave that to Tess. I have a Gregory pack I take everywhere. It has a mesh back that holds the pack away from your body and doesn't completely stop but diminishes the sweat under your back pack. But it's not made for cameras, in fact ti has design functions that are anti-camera. For some reason it gets narrow in the middle making git hard to get lenses in and out. But I use it anyway. Of course it has the chest strap right across the boobs, so Tess can't wear it.

I've basically come to the conclusion that if I'm going to wear a pack I'm going to suffer. My current strategy is should straps and holster with attached lens bags. On shorter walks I take a sling bag.

Packs are a pain... that's just how it is. There is no sweaty back thing happening with this rig.
I've since replaced the "contraption" belt used to support everything, with heavy duty shoulder straps, and the K-01 has been replaced by a K-1 with DFA 28-105 and the DA*60-250 has been replaced by the DA*200 and 1.4 and 1.7 TCs, which can be stacked on a K-3.

Does that picture make me look fat?

Everything is handy, and I can walk for miles with it on.

This picture is from a few years ago... but it's still my preferred hiking set up. Everything is convenient if I need to change lenses, standing up without putting pack or anything else on the ground, especially since I've gone to shoulder straps allowing me to move the whole holster to the front of my body.

Last edited by normhead; 04-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.
04-12-2017, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Its definitely something that you are not looking for. But you could make something to suit your needs for a less price even.
I doubt it will be the less price for the "dream" bag. The funding itself, I mean really good funding is not cheap. The fabric it another issue, I want a good lining, which will be breathable, silky and will not damage my clothes. I love the ThinkTank quality so far. I can't buy anything like that at local fabric stores, I need to search on ebay if I'm lucky.
There are no good designer stores in the area, only craft grade stores.

You know, I've been making stuff by my own for all my life. Everything, from clothes to curtains. Upholstery, leatherwork- you name it. For ones, just for ones, I just wanted to find already made, great solution to carry my photo gear. And it's irritating that I may end up taking out my heavy duty singer again instead of clicking the button to buy. Click-receive- happy

---------- Post added 04-12-17 at 08:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Does that picture make me look fat?
Norm, you look great. But if I walk like this, lets say, somewhere in NY city, will not it look a bit too much?