Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2017, 04:28 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I doubt it will be the less price for the "dream" bag. The funding itself, I mean really good funding is not cheap. The fabric it another issue, I want a good lining, which will be breathable, silky and will not damage my clothes. I love the ThinkTank quality so far. I can't buy anything like that at local fabric stores, I need to search on ebay if I'm lucky.
There are no good designer stores in the area, only craft grade stores.

You know, I've been making stuff by my own for all my life. Everything, from clothes to curtains. Upholstery, leatherwork- you name it. For ones, just for ones, I just wanted to find already made, great solution to carry my photo gear. And it's irritating that I may end up taking out my heavy duty singer again instead of clicking the button to buy. Click-receive- happy

---------- Post added 04-12-17 at 08:55 PM ----------

Norm, you look great. But if I walk like this, lets say, somewhere in NY city, will not it look a bit too much?
you are absolutely right about fabric stores

some of the online outdoor fabric stores are very helpful

I've used Rockywoods Fabrics | Fabrics & Findings For Your Outdoor Gear & Garments in the past a couple others as well

04-13-2017, 04:55 AM   #77
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I doubt it will be the less price for the "dream" bag. The funding itself, I mean really good funding is not cheap. The fabric it another issue, I want a good lining, which will be breathable, silky and will not damage my clothes. I love the ThinkTank quality so far. I can't buy anything like that at local fabric stores, I need to search on ebay if I'm lucky.

You know, I've been making stuff by my own for all my life. Everything, from clothes to curtains. Upholstery, leatherwork- you name it. For ones, just for ones, I just wanted to find already made, great solution to carry my photo gear. And it's irritating that I may end up taking out my heavy duty singer again instead of clicking the button to buy. Click-receive- happy

---------- Post added 04-12-17 at 08:55 PM ----------

Norm, you look great. But if I walk like this, lets say, somewhere in NY city, will not it look a bit too much?
It's a "look" you have to cultivate. Just because it hasn't caught on yet.
04-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's better to travel light!

If I needed a backpack full of gear for my "photo expeditions"
I'd attach it to a large helium balloon, to help "take a load off".
Of course then I'd have to find the most ergonomic tether.

Seriously though, if it's more than will fit in a shoulder bag it stays home.
And AFAIK men's and women's shoulders are practically identical...

Chris
04-14-2017, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
And AFAIK men's and women's shoulders are practically identical...
In construction, certainly, but not in dimensions. And, without wishing to belabour the point, I don't think it was the shoulders that caused the OP the original issue.

04-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
In construction, certainly, but not in dimensions. And, without wishing to belabour the point, I don't think it was the shoulders that caused the OP the original issue.

But any shoulder bag - my recommendation - should work equally as well for a man or woman.

Chris
04-14-2017, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member

But any shoulder bag - my recommendation - should work equally as well for a man or woman.
Agreed. But the original post specifically stated that a backpack was required.
04-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
the original post specifically stated that a backpack was required.

Indeed. However we should also suggest OP consider better alternatives.

Chris
04-15-2017, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

However we should also suggest OP consider better alternatives.
Better ? If the OP had wanted alternatives, I am sure it would have been mentioned. However, we seem to be getting back to the earlier point of men offering solutions to problems instead of just listening. Should anyone else wish to continue this fairly pointless discussion, they are welcome, but I am out. Tomorrow, I intend to take my own backpack on a photo outing.

04-15-2017, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy your backpacking expedition. Don't forget the helium balloon.

Chris
04-16-2017, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #85
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

OK you girls.

Kiss and make up.

And get back on track.

Better yet, get out and make some photographs.
04-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #86
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Even though I'm a die-hard fan of DIY, I understand what you're talking about here...
Cheer up, it will happen, someday
04-20-2017, 03:25 PM   #87
Pentaxian

After 6 pages, or so, people still refuse to accept the practical reality that back pack designers live in.(forget photo packs for the moment, as that is a niche market"

Unless you go for a really expensive pack with a fully independent and adjustable harness. The attachment of hip belts (if any) are at the bottom line of the pack, and shoulder straps are attached to the top and lower sides. The chest strap runs across the shoulder straps, but In most cases is NOT adjustable. Strap length for shoulder straps is based upon the height of the back pack, and the height is determined by the volume.

None of these factors has anything to do with gender bias.

The problem we all have is we want a pack that just holds our kit, and the kit volume is what determines to a great extent the entire back pack geometry not gender, but volume.

As a result unless your torso height matches exactly the height of the back pack, it simply DOES NOT FIT. So if you want to hammer the photo pack makers, and they really do deserve getting hammered on this, not just from women but men also, have them make packs designed to be adjustable over 90% or so of the market. With proper harnesses to carry the weight. You pay good money for your gear, and pay a big premium for a padded photo backpack, over one that your kids use to carry their books and computers to school, so you deserve to have more than a $30 pack with a padded lining when you are paying between $100-200
04-22-2017, 10:37 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
OK you girls.

Kiss and make up.
You calling me a girl ?? Men have died for less - eventually !