Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 11:39 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a men world (rant)

One more time I've tried to search for comfortable and functional backpack for women, and one more time I ended up with plenty of "fashion camera bags", "stylish camera bags", "pretty camera bags"...

Not much about ergonomics. Unisex camera bags are mostly for men. Women, you know, they are different, yep. We have narrower shoulders. We have different back lines. And we have boobs. How many times carrying heavy gear in my slings, or cross shoulder bags I wished to have flat chest...

My Camsafe sling, for example, is great. Here is the only one main drawback: to make it comfortable and secure I need cross chest strap. Yep, it's embarrassing to wear it that way without covering the strap line with scarf. For women the position of the strap should be higher than for men. But it's unisex, right?

My Think Tank sling is great, I love it very much. But again, the most comfortable way to wear it is on the front. Wearing it on the back I have that "boob problem" again.

I decided to go for backpack, and I searched tons of them, and the problem is the same: no one really pays attention for women body. I don't care about fashion. I want lumbar support designed specifically for women, straps which don't cut chest in half, of too short for women chest; comfortable tripod placement (yes, women carry tripod too!), shoulder straps designed specifically for women shoulders.
I want the backpack which can walk with all day without killing either my shoulders, or my back.

No luck so far.
So it is the rant. Photography accessories are not "unisex", they are mostly for men.

04-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

And some..ppl..reviews say Pentax made small bodies

WELL I think an over shoulder bag would work. I haven't seen girls complaining the way you have.

04-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Messenger style bags may work in a more unisex way but I'm not a big fan. Have you tried the old giant fanny pack bags? They go around your waist. You swing them backwards when walking and working and spin them to the front when accessing equipment. I have two I can take shots of for you if I can't find one online to link to.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 02:58 PM ----------

Mountainsmith Tanack 10L Lumbar Pack (Black) 17-81450-01 B&H

Lowepro Inverse 200 AW Beltpack (Black) LP35236 B&H Photo Video

This was my favored style bag when I was younger and more trim. Very popular with photographers in some sets in the 80's and 90's.
04-08-2017, 12:22 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Design a better one. If what you are saying is correct, there will be a market for it.

04-08-2017, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
...So it is the rant. Photography accessories are not "unisex", they are mostly for men...
small to average sized men not behemoths like myself (I feel your pain)

my wife finally found a "children's pack that actually fit her (she is a bit under 5')
prior to that it was sling bags on one shoulder or the other

good luck finding something that will work
04-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's certainly food for thought... and all you said makes sense.
The potential market could be huge, I guess, so it's strange that nobody has thought of some product along those lines before...
Maybe their market research is indicating that there's not enough money to be made, who knows.

I think your best bet is buying a general purpose backpack and modifying it yourself with inserts... this thread could be helpful, maybe:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/319347-my-ikea-diy-camera-bag.html
04-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

There are plenty of day packs for ladies. Use those. Goes for everybody really. Use little protective bags to wrap your gear in.

04-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It sounds like a good business opportunity. Start designing your own bags, made the way you need them made, start your own company and go for it. you could expand to other similar areas as well. it's difficult for a man to design something like that, we don't have that problem.
04-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more time I've tried to search for comfortable and functional backpack for women, and one more time I ended up with plenty of "fashion camera bags", "stylish camera bags", "pretty camera bags"...

Have you tried calling Adorama or B&H? Their women salespeople may be able to give you some suggestions.

Or you could contact @Helen Oster. She's Adorama's representative here on Pentax Forums.
04-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, I modified regular Baggallini fabric bag for a camera bag. It's great for the small setup. The problem starts when I (mostly prime lens shooter) want to carry heavier set up, let's say to spend a day out away from the car. Like there is no way I can pull over my car in local park area, only in the office area. I need to walk quite a distance with gear.

If it's K-1 with DA*300mm, converter (almost nothing actually), extra lenses, tripod or even monopod, bottle of water, wallet, batteries, glasses, etc., any cross shoulder bag literally is a pain after about 2 hours. I have 4 of them, and not happy with any of them.

It has been also time when I've been walking all day since morning to midnight in New York carrying two cameras and two extra lenses in my cross shoulder bag. I stopped at BH and bought sling bag, and it saved me for next few days. But again, it was not perfect, but very good compromise.

I think I'm kind of tired compromising in order to find my perfect way to carry pretty heavy gear without killing something: either back, or neck, or shoulders.

Now I'm thinking carefully what is the next solution, and so far nothing specific. Only F-stops Gear advertises backpacks designed specifically for women, but so far it's too bulky for my needs.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 01:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by .a.t. Quote
Or you could contact @Helen Oster. She's Adorama's representative here on Pentax Forums.
I'm not sure salespersons are really experts since they don't test it, just sell it
And poor Helen works hard to bother her with something beyond her expertise.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 02:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
It sounds like a good business opportunity. Start designing your own bags, made the way you need them made, start your own company and go for it. you could expand to other similar areas as well. it's difficult for a man to design something like that, we don't have that problem.
Can you imagine how long it will take :
a) to learn about backpack making;
b) to create prototypes;
c) to test it, to improve, to start business...
Nope, I don't feel like I can.
Perhaps big companies may invest a bit to turn their attention to girls.

---------- Post added 04-08-17 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Messenger style bags may work in a more unisex way but I'm not a big fan. Have you tried the old giant fanny pack bags?
I've tried sling bag that way. Did not work for me at all.
04-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh Lord. Men coming up with solutions. Can't you just listen?
04-08-2017, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Can't you just listen?
About business opportunity?
04-08-2017, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If what you are saying is correct,
Yes, she is absolutely correct!
04-08-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you imagine how long it will take : a) to learn about backpack making; b) to create prototypes; c) to test it, to improve, to start business... Nope, I don't feel like I can. Perhaps big companies may invest a bit to turn their attention to girls.
You forgot one thing; money to do all this.
04-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel your pain.

I am old, fat, and left-handed. I find most things (including a Ferrari) are designed for young, right-handed flat-bellies. So I also rant!

On the other hand, if you do design a bag exclusively for women, you will most likely be able to ask a premium price for it. This past spring I bought a fishing/photo vest (i.e. lots of pockets) at Bass Pro Shops for $39. My wife went over to the women's department and the women's version of the vest was $69!

So, design, crowd-fund, and be happy - all the way to the bank.