Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
"In the 1920s there was a man in Mexico City who delivered pianos on his back using a tumpline."*

Just last weekend I had a conversation with a neighbor who had sold her baby-grand piano. She said the man who bought it took the legs off, tied a rope around it, put the rope over his head and carried the piano out to his truck on his back.

* The Wikipedia link above.
back when bumpers could support the weight of a car a workmate would lift even very large cars off the ground via a moving strap with hooks (like a tow strap now)
hooks to the bumper
strap on his shoulders
hands on the bumper
then just stand straight up

he could do it without the strap but it would really mess his hands up

he wasn't much taller than five feet but he had the technique

he just died last month
he always looked to be in his late 20s early 30s
his obit said he was born in 1937

I would have never guessed it

04-09-2017, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

It's not just women that have difficulties finding things that work.

I'm male, older, broad shouldered, 6'3" +, 240 lbs, have long legs and a bad 'hockey' knee. I have great difficulty buying a new car that I can fit in, without my shoulders hitting the window or center pillar of the vehicle cockpit. My long legs and knee hockey injury (used to play defense) require that I stretch my legs out. Hard to find many vehicles that have that capacity to fit me comfortably.

What it comes down to, IMHO, is that if a person is not within the average size range...either male or female...they're going to have difficulty finding clothes, cars, bags, etc. that fit.

I've tried innumerable bags, cases, etc. to carry camera equipment over the past 50 years. Right now the best I can find that mostly works for me, are my Domke F2 Original bags. But, I don't carry them around, because as with other make bag, they don't work well for me...on my shoulder, carrying them by hand, etc.

What I do is put the bag in the trunk of my car, take the camera body and lens I plan to use out of the bag and just carry around the body/lens combo...using the camera strap positioned around my neck. Not much of a solution, but it sort of works.

You bring up a good point though, getting something that 'fit's' is not all that easy if a person...male/female...is out of the normal range.
04-09-2017, 05:07 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
he wasn't much taller than five feet but he had the technique he just died last monthhe always looked to be in his late 20s early 30shis obit said he was born in 1937 I would have never guessed it

His name wasn't "James Logan," was it?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(character)

At any rate, a great story--I've known more than a few "country strong" individuals over the years...you just can't train for what's been bred in the bone.
04-09-2017, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
That's a terrible comparison. No woman buys a dress off the rack and is happy with it. They almost always need tailoring. Why? Every single one of you is shaped differently and you wear clothes differently. Men are easy to dress - shoulder width, sleeve length, waist and inseam. Done. Women have all those lovely shapes and curves and require clothing to fit those lines precisely, and we men love you all for it.

I wouldn't be upset about "modifying," especially on a backpack. You're not modifying, you're buying what fits and does the job the best. I guarantee you any properly-fitted backpack is going to carry your camera weight better than any camera bag. Buy the insert and carry the gear. Added benefit - it doesn't look like a camera bag and is less likely to get stolen.
I have to alter all my clothes as I have wide shoulders and not an ample chest, lol but have a long waist. Clothes are built with skinny stick armholes, plunging necklines... ample chest or not..., and short waisted. I sew now. My husband buys a weed eater, the gasoline kind that could whack down a forest and then wants to know why I wasn't using it. I told him it weighed almost 1/3 my weight and was way to heavy for a female that wasn't a weight lifter athlete. Lol. So I suggested he buy me a simple lightweight electric one for me to trim grass around the side of the house.
The camera pack I use is the vanguard backpack and when I don't feel like bringing a lot of gear I bring a much smaller bag and one K3. I really would like to have the vest with the pockets. I have more gear than I could possibly carry anyway, I'd need a 4-wheeler.

04-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #50
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
. . . . . . . . . . and one K3.
You have more than one?

QuoteOriginally posted by sherrvonne Quote
I have more gear than I could possibly carry anyway, I'd need a 4-wheeler.

Just get one of these.

04-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
About business opportunity?
This was a "jest" common to "men dont listen they only want to solve the problem".

And I am glad there is a business opportunity here. You could grab it.

---------- Post added 10-04-17 at 08:38 ----------

There has been several thoughts about making your own.
Last year I made my own bag.

My IKEA DIY camera bag - PentaxForums.com

Its definitely something that you are not looking for. But you could make something to suit your needs for a less price even.
04-09-2017, 11:37 PM   #52
Pentaxian

F-stop gear has one backpack designed for women. If it is really true or just marketing, that I do not know

Kashmir UL - Ultralight - Product

04-10-2017, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #53

Photos: Albums
I specially bought a women's hiking backpack. It's an osprey. I chose it so I could pack a lunch, tripod and jacket as well. It has a shoulder harness and a mesh backpanel then got a camera insert so I could carry the camera in a handbag when I wasn't doing a day hike or overnighter. I needed versatility and dedicated camera bags just didn't do it for me.
04-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #54
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

One suggestion re: using a back pack

Use it

Too many of us use a backpack rarely and thus when we do use it, we are not familiar with it, how to adjust it or its weight, in this case "practice" can improve your experience

Carry it "heavy" and build up your endurance slowly, and then carrying a "normal" load is much easier

Know the terrain you will explore and try to get use to it: expecting to be climbing, try starting with stairs, living at sea level or 900 feet but vacationing at 12,000 feet learn how that could affect you physically and/or mentally

All things I know or have learned

and I am too stupid to do myself
04-10-2017, 04:24 AM   #55
Pentaxian

OK, I know I am only a male, but here's what I do. I bought a second-hand Lowepro for £20, scrounged some more interior separators, and worked out how to get the maximum load within it. It has : K20D body, K10D body, (each with battery grip), Sigma 10-20, WR Kit lens, Sigma 28-105, Sigma 55-200, Sigma 70-300, Sigma 105 macro, Yongnuo flash, ring flash, 24 re-chargeable AA batteries, six spare camera batteries, Cokin 'P' type filters, CP for each lens, air blower, torch, Swiss Army Knife, grey card, Weston Master V meter, sticking plaster, IR remote and wired remote. It is so tightly packed nothing can move around !

Had to lengthen the shoulder straps (Stop Press - Men Can Sew !), but it fits comfortably on my back, and I can carry it all day (with appropriate pub stops, of course.

Now me : 66 years old (next Monday, Hint ! Hint !), overweight, degenerative bone disease in spine, travel by public transport, usually walk with a stick -
BUT
The backpack balances the belly (!), the K10D body presses into the small of my back alleviating pain (after adjusting contents so this happened), a Monopod will act as a walking stick when I need it, and I put up with what I don't like. As Alsyfox says 'Use It !'

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 04-10-2017 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Forgot something !
04-10-2017, 04:26 AM   #56
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
. . . As Alsyfox says 'Use It !'

who - - - moi????
04-10-2017, 04:29 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
You bring up a good point though, getting something that 'fit's' is not all that easy if a person...male/female...is out of the normal range.
To quote Auntie Wainwright (LOTSW) 'It's not my fault if his feet are the wrong size for the boots !'
04-10-2017, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #58
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

. . . Just get one of these.
bring a Sherpa (kid)

but then you could really have a pain to deal with

[ inappropriate response to a serious issue - but I am what I am ]
04-10-2017, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mealznpukz Quote
I specially bought a women's hiking backpack. It's an osprey. I chose it so I could pack a lunch, tripod and jacket as well. It has a shoulder harness and a mesh backpanel then got a camera insert so I could carry the camera in a handbag when I wasn't doing a day hike or overnighter. I needed versatility and dedicated camera bags just didn't do it for me.
Where have I heard this solution before?
04-10-2017, 08:00 AM   #60
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
(Stop Press - Men Can Sew !)
A man invented the sewing machine. After he perfected it he gave it to his wife*.

Men are lazy. That's why we have so many 'modern conveniences'. We invent them, and make our women us them while we sit idly by and devise other means to be even lazier.

Men are pigs.

* Full disclosure. In my house both Mrs. Racer and myself use the sewing machine, to mend clothing and create things.