Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
anyone tried the Lolumina soft shutter release?

I saw an advertisement for the Lolumina soft shutter release for camera shutters that don't have legacy screw type shutter releases. Has anyone tried one of these, and if so, what is your opinion?

While I often use the back focus button on my K-3, to release the focus lock you either have to turn the camera off/on or do a half-press on the shutter release. Periodically, the camera seems finicky about the half-release point, and I am wondering if a soft release might help.

04-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I saw an advertisement for the Lolumina soft shutter release for camera shutters that don't have legacy screw type shutter releases. Has anyone tried one of these, and if so, what is your opinion?

While I often use the back focus button on my K-3, to release the focus lock you either have to turn the camera off/on or do a half-press on the shutter release. Periodically, the camera seems finicky about the half-release point, and I am wondering if a soft release might help.
there has been some discussion about this product in this thread

The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - PentaxForums.com

start looking around #25111

forum member ccc_ is the one with the knowledge of it

I am still trying to decide if I want to try it on my K 3 and K 5 II
04-10-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
there has been some discussion about this product in this thread

The 300mm plus lens Club discuss your long lenses. - PentaxForums.com

start looking around #25111

forum member ccc_ is the one with the knowledge of it

I am still trying to decide if I want to try it on my K 3 and K 5 II
Thanks. Not much discussion other than one person posting "they really help me". Since they mount rather permanently,* I'd like to get more information before modifying my camera.

*The industrial adhesive mentioned is pretty strong stuff. What good is a return policy if you can't remove the mount?
04-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks. Not much discussion other than one person posting "they really help me". Since they mount rather permanently,* I'd like to get more information before modifying my camera.

*The industrial adhesive mentioned is pretty strong stuff. What good is a return policy if you can't remove the mount?
Your latest acquisition - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

04-10-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

they are fairly easy to remove...if you follow the included directions

I used soft releases on all my film cameras so I missed not having that option on DSLRs

the only negative of the button is that it stands proud of the camera's contours
you have to be aware of that to prevent snags

the only mishap I've had is a button loosened enough to disappear into a river while I was hanging upside down off a bridge
now I make sure the button is snugged against the o-ring that provides tension

as I mentioned earlier I have them on five bodies and feel they help my shooting
you will have to decide for yourself it will help yours
04-10-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
they are fairly easy to remove...if you follow the included directions

I used soft releases on all my film cameras so I missed not having that option on DSLRs

the only negative of the button is that it stands proud of the camera's contours
you have to be aware of that to prevent snags

the only mishap I've had is a button loosened enough to disappear into a river while I was hanging upside down off a bridge
now I make sure the button is snugged against the o-ring that provides tension

as I mentioned earlier I have them on five bodies and feel they help my shooting
you will have to decide for yourself it will help yours
LOL - you came here while I was chasing you down in another thread

So this is an inadvertent cross post...

On occasion I am not finding the half-press point on my K-3. I never had this problem on my previous Pentax bodies. Frankly I don't know if it is me or the camera and most times taking a bad shot is no big deal. But sometimes it IS a big deal.

May I request your opinion if the Lolumina solution assists in any way with achieving half-press? Or is it mostly just an easier way to find the release button? - because the K-3 fits my hand very well and that is not the issue.

Thanks!

Jim
04-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #7

I have been using the Lolumina shutter releases for several years and I would find it difficult to go without. I find I have a much better feel for a half press, and resting my finger against the side helps me steady for a shot prior to sliding my finger up into "firing position". Installation and removal are easy.

There are issues to be aware of though. I normally have my camera strapped across my body and found the button would snag on clothing if I used the "stock" strap mounting locations. This has caused the shutter button on my K-3 to be ripped off a couple of times. By shutter button, I mean the actual Pentax shutter button, it remained attached to the Lolumina one. No problems though, a little super glue and I was back in business.

My fix for this issue was to modify the way I mounted the strap in order to keep the button from snagging on clothing. I now use the strap mount on the left and I've attached the right strap to a tripod plate on the bottom of the camera. This also provides a much more comfortable carry of the camera and keeps my lenses tucked into my body while running, moving through crowds, etc.

I'll post a couple pictures of my setup in a bit.

04-10-2017, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

finding the halfway mark on my ko1 was the impetus for searching for a solution
finding the shutter release was never the issue
it was exercising adequate control over it when focusing and shooting

so, yes it helped me

I have it on two k3s
specific to your situation

medic's point is a good one and I noted something similar earlier
you have to be aware that the button is there

if you use a tripod frequently his strap attachment is ideal (using a tripod plate)
I seldom do so I used a product called a "strap buddy" and found it most satisfactory
with your strap attached that way you get a lot less bounce if on your chest and a nicer hang if slung under your arm
I do attach my on the right so that it is easier to bunch up my strap to use as a hand/wrist strap

sorry about the digression...I seem to have opinions about everything