Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

More Backpack Assistance Please

Before I start I want to thank everyone here for being so helpful with everything I have always asked question wise

Now that that is out of the way here is my delimma.

I am going to be traveling A LOT for work going forward and pretty soon I will even move overseas. (In fact I leave tomorrow for a 3 week trip) I am trying to sort out how to be able to haul my camera gear around with me while still avoiding extra bags and all that jive while also taking the things I need to take.

I recently bought this backpack (listed below)

SWISSGEAR 5709 Scansmart - Black

It is a SWISSGEAR 5709 SCANSMART. It's a very good backpack. So far I like it a whole lot. I can carry my Surface Pro AND my laptop in there with dedicated sleeves for both. It opens like a clamshell so I can get my computers scanned at the airport without ever taking them out of their place. There is also plenty of other room in the bag for camera gear or whatever else I want to take.

What I am asking for is looking for padded inserts that can either zip or snap or velcro shut where I can put my camera in that bag too. Ideally it will fit a K-1 with a 24-70 attached and possibly the three amigos. I just want a padded insert where the camera or spare lenses won't flop around or whatever. It doesn't have to be one padded box it can be two.

Eventually I will also buy a new dedicated camera bag but on business trips I want to be able to do one check in and one carry on and be done with it. In some cases they give you one carry on and one personal item which in that case I won't have to check in anything in a lot of situations.

There are a lot of solutions but for now a small padded case that can carry the camera/lenses then I will be golden.

The compartment that I am aiming to put the camera gear in is roughly 1 foot wide by about 6 inches thick by however tall. (Rough numbers)

Let's see what we can come up with.

04-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
quick thought do you have access to a hobby/sewing/ store ?

go in at a time they are not busy (who knows when that is, i would call and ask) and bring your back pack and gear. talk to the clerks about your idea and ask them for ideas.

I know you can get velcro strips which can be attached via adhesive strips or glue or sewing to other objects such as foam and material to cover it

see if you can " MacGyver" some thing helpful.

if you don't want to be that creative, at the same store perhaps you can buy foam or foam blocks and then cut out spaces for your required gear to be stored in????

or start searching the web
04-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
In fact I leave tomorrow for a 3 week trip)

Life's just your own personal beer commercial, isn't it? (Seriously envious of your Shanghai move, though the climate might make Houston seem like San Francisco.)

At any rate, before you commit to the insert route, check out the Think Tank's "Hubba Hubba Hiney"--it definitely can be used as an insert, but you retain all the functions of a dedicated camera bag if you find yourself traveling light with a two or three lens kit.
Think Tank Photo Hubba Hubba Hiney (Black) 228 B&H Photo Video
You might pair it with a Crumpler "Haven," which will handle either your extra lenses, or your K-1 kit if you find the need to drop it in a "civilian" bag. (I use it in conjunction with an Arc'teryx Mistral sling pack.)
haven | B&H Photo Video

MSRP seems a little spendy, but Crumpler gear often goes on sale.
04-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may want to check this:

04-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several camera bag companies make modular inserts that can be pulled out of a larger bag quickly -- Gura Gear, F-Stop come to mind. There are also a number of third party manufacturers that advertise inserts like this and are cheaper -- search ebay. I can recommend the F-Stop ICUs (internal camera units) on a quality basis but not on a customer service basis -- if you order from them make sure you do it by phone and have an absolute unequivocal promise they will ship immediately -- they have had problems with order fulfillment. Gura Gear was bought out and I'm not sure whether they are still being produced but the bags and the internal units pop up on ebay every once in a while -- they are well made.
04-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've used an Ape Case insert to turn ordinary bags into camera bags. They're also comparatively cheap.
Ape Case Cubeze QB37 Flexible Storage Cube (Yellow) ACQB37 B&H
04-13-2017, 05:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
What I am asking for is looking for padded inserts that can either zip or snap or velcro shut where I can put my camera in that bag too.
+1 for the Cubeze from Ape Case. Otherwise, I believe Timbuk2 still make their Snoop insert in various sizes. Otherwise, browse B&H or even eBay and you will find lots of options.

04-13-2017, 06:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies guys! I can't reply too much now. I am sitting in the airport about to board in a couple of minutes.