Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 04:21 AM   #1

EZ Share Wifi SD card on Pentax K-X

I want to make my k-x dslr wifi compatible with an SD card. I have an option to use either a Transcend or EZ-Share. EZ Share is half the price of the Transcend but I don't know if it's compatible with my K-x. (I know the Transcend is)
I don't really care about the app and all that. I just want to transfer RAW files to my smarphone.
Does anyone have any experience with an EZ Share card on a K-X?
Thanks.

04-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Look at the Toshiba FlashAir as well.
04-16-2017, 05:46 AM   #3
Forum Member

I use EZ-share cards with my K-r and have also tried them in my wife's K-x. No problems at all. I like the fact that the E-z share card has a physical switch on for turning the WIFI function off so you can quickly disable it to save battery. Transfering to phone is easy using either the dedicated app or a just the regular browser (Opera mobile and Safari both work forJpegs, haven't tried others).

Remember to disable the camera's auto power off, or at least set it to 30 minutes, so that the connection stays alive when you're transfering the photos. Raw transfer is pretty slow but I understand that's the case with all such cards.

Last edited by Suzhouren; 04-16-2017 at 05:54 AM.
04-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #4
CLG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Suzhouren Quote
I use EZ-share cards with my K-r and have also tried them in my wife's K-x. No problems at all. I like the fact that the E-z share card has a physical switch on for turning the WIFI function off so you can quickly disable it to save battery. Transfering to phone is easy using either the dedicated app or a just the regular browser (Opera mobile and Safari both work forJpegs, haven't tried others).

Remember to disable the camera's auto power off, or at least set it to 30 minutes, so that the connection stays alive when you're transfering the photos. Raw transfer is pretty slow but I understand that's the case with all such cards.
Thanks a lot Suzhouren! That's why I love this forum! That's very kind of you for giving me such detailed information. What kind do you think are the best SD cards from EZ-Share?

---------- Post added 04-16-17 at 06:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Look at the Toshiba FlashAir as well.

Thanks for thr info. Is that card compatible with your k-x?

04-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

You're welcome, glad to be of help.

I'm not sure about their current range (I bought mine over a year ago), but mine are 16GB class 10 cards and I find them more than adequate for use in the 12 MP bodies.

Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer though as there may be fakes out there.
04-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by CLG Quote
Thanks a lot Suzhouren! That's why I love this forum! That's very kind of you for giving me such detailed information. What kind do you think are the best SD cards from EZ-Share?

---------- Post added 04-16-17 at 06:10 AM ----------

Thanks for thr info. Is that card compatible with your k-x?

Hi,

I'm in the process of moving from the Eye-Fi X2 cards to Flashair III (note the "III" ... the "II" and "I" are older and you should probably avoid them. Look for the "W-03" on the card). As part of that, I am switching to using the Keenai desktop app on Windows 10. I am using the cards with several cameras including my K-r and K-x.
04-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
CLG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ohaya Quote
Hi,

I'm in the process of moving from the Eye-Fi X2 cards to Flashair III (note the "III" ... the "II" and "I" are older and you should probably avoid them. Look for the "W-03" on the card). As part of that, I am switching to using the Keenai desktop app on Windows 10. I am using the cards with several cameras including my K-r and K-x.
Thanks for the info ohaya!
How is the Flashair on the K-r and k-x?

04-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the info ohaya!
How is the Flashair on the K-r and k-x?
They work fine. The W-03 (which is the "III" and is the only version that works with Keenai Desktop, I think) are Class 10 cards, so they are much faster than the X2 cards that I had (a lot of them). If you want to get the Flashair III, I think get it quickly, as they seem to be disappearing).
04-21-2017, 03:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the EZ Share Microsd card..works super! transfers raw,jpg and videos..but you cant transfer from PC to camera via usb cable, gives a SD card error. Anyway, works great on my Note 4
04-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #10

They work fine. The W-03 (which is the "III" and is the only version that works with Keenai Desktop, I think) are Class 10 cards, so they are much faster than the X2 cards that I had (a lot of them). If you want to get the Flashair III, I think get it quickly, as they seem to be disappearing).
EDIT: You were asking about using with K-x and K-r: I have used the Flashairs (I have 7 of them now) with my K-x a lot, but I don't use my K-x now much, but I am like 100% sure it would work with the K-r, as I use it with several of my Panny P&S cameras and my mirroless Oly and Panny. I think it would be more the exception that doesn't work.
04-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #11
CLG

Original Poster
EDIT: You were asking about using with K-x and K-r: I have used the Flashairs (I have 7 of them now) with my K-x a lot, but I don't use my K-x now much, but I am like 100% sure it would work with the K-r, as I use it with several of my Panny P&S cameras and my mirroless Oly and Panny. I think it would be more the exception that doesn't work.
Thanks so much for the information. I ended up buying the EZ share But I will definitely try the others (like FlaashAir) in the near future.

---------- Post added 04-22-17 at 11:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Lopez Quote
I have the EZ Share Microsd card..works super! transfers raw,jpg and videos..but you cant transfer from PC to camera via usb cable, gives a SD card error. Anyway, works great on my Note 4
Thanks so much for the information. I ended up buying the EZ share But I will definitely try the others (like FlaashAir) in the near future.
04-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #12

---------- Post added 04-22-17 at 11:20 PM ----------

If you do ever try Flashair, make sure it is "Flashair III" and has "W-03" on the label on the card. I think the Keenai desktop app only works with the W-03 cards (and not with the W-02 cards), or so I was told. Also there is some help on the Eye-fi forums (yes, the Eye-fi forums, Toshiba is now apparently supporting Eye-fi cards, or something like that).

With the Flashair cards, they expose a web server at Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax, so you can get to the pics on the card as long as you are on the same WI-FI channel, I think. Then, if you use the Keenai desktop, they can also act like the old Eye-fi cards, which is the way I use them, i.e., when I turn on my camera in range of my PC, it automatically sends the new pics to the PC.
01-09-2020, 11:23 AM   #13

After searching (and more searching) and plenty confusion naturally, I fell back to this forum for reliable information ans was well rewarded! I recently got a notion to enable wifi on my Kx using a wifi sd card to transfer jpg or raw to Ubuntu darktable. I was hesitant to try ez-share because of bad reviews (and no specific mention of anyone using either Kx or darktable) and ambiguous results for the other two (also naturally cost). So I find here on the forum that there are success stories for Kx using the top three marques - Toshiba, Transcend and Ez-share. Thanks to all for sharing! But final question is, does anyone out there use "darktable" + Kx + any of these SD Wifi cards?