Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Mounting a K5 on a Telescope

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I would like to mount my K5 to our Orion 8" Skyview telescope since it's lighter than my old Super Program. I looked at the posting by Ziywang19 in April of last year and just want to be sure I'm got the right information on what I need. I'm looking at these two items on E-bay. Thanks, Jim

T-PK Adapter For T-Mount T2 Telescope Lens to Pentax K PK K3 K50 K5 IIS KS1 KS2 | eBay

1.25" Photography Extended Sleeve Tube M42 Thread T-Mount Adapter for Scope sale | eBay

04-21-2017, 08:15 PM   #2

Everything looks right to me. 1.25" eyepiece adapter. The listing confuses things by saying it is an M42 adapter (they mean male 42mm). The thread pitch is listed as 0.75 which is correct for T-threads so you should be good there.

Personally I would spend a few more dollars and get a good quality T-adapter. The "Top Rated" product you listed has one review of 3 out of 5 stars.

I have a couple of the below brands in different mounts. The quality is very good to excellent. I bought Vivitar branded adapter that was made in India. Everything was terrible about it - rough finish and it wouldn't even thread into any of my telescope adapters.

Qualide T-Mount Lens Adapter for Pentax K 35mm SLR Film Camera 25-166-2227 | eBay
04-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Is your telescope Orion SkyView Pro 8 GoTo Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes?

That scope can accept 2" eyepieces, so you would be better off (less vignetting) with a 2" connector instead of the 1.25" you listed. If your focuser is Orion part # 13039, here's a threaded connection between the camera t-ring and scope. Prime Focus Camera Adapter for 2" Crayford Focuser | Orion Telescopes
04-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Is your telescope Orion SkyView Pro 8 GoTo Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes?

That scope can accept 2" eyepieces, so you would be better off (less vignetting) with a 2" connector instead of the 1.25" you listed. If your focuser is Orion part # 13039, here's a threaded connection between the camera t-ring and scope. Prime Focus Camera Adapter for 2" Crayford Focuser | Orion Telescopes
No it's an older 8" Skyview Deluxe EQ. I'll have to explore the 2" thing a little more. It may be able to accept one. Jim

04-25-2017, 03:21 PM   #5

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you're sure it's a 2" focuser, it won't accept the 2" extension. FWIW, I started out using a 1.25" & seemed to work fine w/ a "regular' / non full frame sensor..yet YMMV
04-25-2017, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I went ahead and ordered the 1.25" setup and a Pentax K adapter. Now I'm waiting for a full moon and not one that involves one's pants. :>) Jim