Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Strap for trudging through rough terrain?

I have a Boss strap for normal carrying and I really like it.

What could be used in conjunction with the Boss if I'm trudging through rough terrain (swamp) in order to get to my destination? Something to keep the camera tight to my body so it doesn't swing while I'm making my way over hill and dale!

04-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Secured

I also use a strap that positions the camera on the side of my body and I use a MindShift Gear Ultralight Camera Cover to secure the camera. It is essentially a lightweight padded pouch on a waist belt with a cover. Depending on how I adjust the camera strap I can have the MindShift cover support some of the weight of the camera/lens or I can keep all the weight on the strap. You can also go without a strap and just use the cover if your camera/lens is not too heavy. These camera covers fold-up to a small size when not in use. They also provide at least some protection from rain and bumps. I actually have two sizes as my original cover was too small when I went from the K-3 to the K-1 with bigger lenses. I've been very pleased with this approach.
04-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have recently taken to using an OP/TECH sling and believe me, I have been going through some terrain and really giving that thing a work out.

The first thing I would suggest is getting a dry bag. I bought one and it works beautifully. Especially in extra harsh or really wet environments (like a swamp or a boat/canoe/kayak etc) it is the best option. You can either put the whole thing bag and all into a backpack, or they make them with a strap or even backpack straps.

If you want to go just sling then the OP/TECH one I have rides pretty good when I am just walking in around. I have it rigged where the "L" of the camera body and the lens rides perfectly on the front of my hip. I have carried that thing across 6 or 7 cities in Asia and rice paddies and whatever just like that. If you want to be extra careful you can get the other ring on your camera (it's a single point sling to start with) but if you get an extra latch (that they sell) you can latch the other ring to your belt. You will basically have two points of sling attachment. One across your shoulder into one ring on your camera. And another from the other ring on your camera to your belt. You could probably pull it relatively tight against your body and it won't move either even with both hands free.
04-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use a Joby UltraFit Sling Strap with their speed cinch system and like it a lot. Took a little practice to get use to it but works great on walks.

04-30-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Slide strap by Peak Design. It offers multiple mounting and carrying options. When mounted using one of the the camera's strap lugs and the tripod socket, it can be cinched up tight and lies flat against the body. I trail walk my dogs through a wooded area along a river and have had no problems using the strap.
04-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use a Black Rapid strap for sports and outdoor activities. A Cotton Carrier holster for street and event shooting. For travelling through rough terrain or wetlands - Cotton Carrier Camera Vest.
Cotton Carrier Camera Vest ONLY (Black) 635RTL-S B&H Photo Video
04-30-2017, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Instead of a strap, why not use a Capture Clip from Peak Design? No risk of movement then. Otherwise, Op/Tech and Peak design make the two best strap "systems" I've used. After using both extensively I decided for Peak Design myself.

05-01-2017, 05:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you had a Pentax ME or similar you could use one of these:

Chris
05-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I still use a couple of thirty year old tarmac straps but when I hall my decrepit body though rough country I use these...

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Photo-Digital-Holster/dp/B0049ROCQI?tag=pentaxforums-20&

https://www.rakuten.com/prod/clik-elite-holster-style-slr-telephoto-chest-pa...215497952.html

https://www.amazon.com/Kinesis-C750-X-Large-Holster-Case/dp/B00DONNAY8?tag=pentaxforums-20& (sold out a lot of places)

each has saved my stuff from the elements and my clumsiness
they are just marginally slower than a camera and strap

there are three brands because of my miserly approach to gear purchases
05-01-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If you had a Pentax ME or similar you could use one of these:

Chris
What a terrific idea for a KP!
05-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ttedders Quote
I have the Slide strap by Peak Design. It offers multiple mounting and carrying options. When mounted using one of the the camera's strap lugs and the tripod socket, it can be cinched up tight and lies flat against the body. I trail walk my dogs through a wooded area along a river and have had no problems using the strap.
I also recently got the Slide strap. The only complaint I have is the almost sharp edges of the strap where it goes around your neck, if you are simply carrying the camera in front of you. I've been used to the OpTech's, that are so soft & comfortable; that this compounds the problem with me.
05-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The only complaint I have is the almost sharp edges of the strap where it goes around your neck
Velcro and velvet - comfort and luxury.
05-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Velcro and velvet - comfort and luxury.
I really don't want to have to add something to an expensive strap to make it comfortable. Peak should have rounded the edges or something, so that they are less sharp. This is where the Optech straps shine; comfort!
05-08-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I really don't want to have to add something to an expensive strap to make it comfortable
Fair enough - just a thought. Was I looking for a solution when I should just have listened ?
05-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No problem. I just hate to have a "makeshift" looking addition to such a beautiful strap, even though the strap is uncomfortable around the neck for me. Trust me, if I made it, it would look pretty tacky.