Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

How to fix this broken tripod head?

Hi everyone, I just got a ProAm USA Legs+Head combo from goodwill for a few bucks, the legs are fine (which is enough of a steal in of itself) but the quick release plate doesn't stay put on the head because it's missing part of it. Would something like this be fixable? I'm not super handy with this kind of stuff so I thought I'd ask your opinions since I'd rather save 80 bucks on a new head.

Link to the head:

ProAm USA Professional Fluid Tripod Head (Flat Base) PROAMTH38

Pic of how mine looks:

05-04-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You should try to find a local reseller of ProAm and ask if they can order a replacement part. Otherwise try to contact the manufacturer to see if they can send you the part. Maybe you will also be able to order a similar part from a different manufacturer via the internet if you are able to figure out the thread size of the missing screw. The cheapest way to fix it would probably be to take the head to the next hardware store to find a regular thumbscrew that fits.
05-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't really tell what's broken from your picture but I would suggest taking it into a hardware store. We have mom & pop stores around here that repair windows, screens etc. and do all types of other work in house. If it can't be fixed, they could probably tell you. Normally there's usually someone they employ that can repair just about anything that is repairable. Good luck!
05-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like you are missing the little (locking?) bolt that goes in the empty threaded hole. Compare your unit to a blowup of the B&H head in your reference.

If the missing bolt has standard threading, you ought to be able to find something to screw in there that would work. Take the head to Home Depot or other vendor of nut and bolts and see if there is something that fits.

If you know a friendly machinist, he/she might be able to make a new one.

05-04-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
amazon.com: Male Fluted Knobs - Knobs & Hand Wheels: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

look in the specially fasteners at almost hardware store for these

it should just be a matter of correct size and length

something to keep in mind is if that is an imported item the only bit of hardware on it that is SAE will be the tripod screw YMMV

good luck
05-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
amazon.com: Male Fluted Knobs - Knobs & Hand Wheels: Industrial & Scientific?tag=pentaxforums-20&

look in the specially fasteners at almost hardware store for these

it should just be a matter of correct size and length

something to keep in mind is if that is an imported item the only bit of hardware on it that is SAE will be the tripod screw YMMV

good luck
Thanks for this, very helpful. I'll be sure to head over to home depot when I can
05-04-2017, 02:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Thanks for this, very helpful. I'll be sure to head over to home depot when I can
You may have more luck with Ace Hardware if there is one nearby. Try to identify the thread spec using a sample bolt. That way you can buy a bolt that does the job. You can then build a suitable knob on it eventually or you may find one ready once you know the thread spec.

I have a feeling that this is an Arca swiss type standard base and plate. You might as well replace the base for a few dollars. Base is usually bolted to the head with a Hex machine screw.

05-04-2017, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try finding a screw as has been mentioned, but the photos on B and H seem to show what may be a small handle that a screw goes through in the area where you have the missing part. If a screw does not take care of what you need, then you could confide in the manufacturer to see if they can provide you with the part.

---------- Post added 05-04-17 at 08:11 PM ----------

The contact number for ProAm USA is 864-845-1144 (9-5 EST, M-F). The contact page is available through the following shortcut: Contact Us

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-04-2017 at 05:14 PM.